A coupla reasons I love this country...

• 28 replies

JShep

• The States - An Informative and Satirical Guide to the United States of America
A coupla reasons I love this country...
« on: January 27, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
Here's a couple of reasons I love this country: (feel free to post a few of your own)

Men are men

To judge a man by the amount he can drink, smoke, or chew, will always be a fair judgement and accurate depiction of a man in my opinion.

Girls are girls

The girls know how to be girls. No matter how girly that is. Feminine qualities are a rare breed in this world and these girls know how to be girly.

xwarrior

Re: A coupla reasons I love this country...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »
I am sometimes asked why I like living in China and my simplistic answer has usually been that it is the one place I feel free. While that feeling still holds - a short visit back home every year reinforces any doubts I may have - it is a kind of reactive response.

Jeremiah Jenne at 'rectified name' has summed up the real real reason I like living in China: 

This year marks my tenth in Beijing. Why stay so long? Because every morning I wake up knowing that I’m going to see something I’ve never seen before.  Something which will make me stop and say, “You know in any other country…that might seem strange.”
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

zero

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:51 PM »
JShep, I don't agree. The men act like children. The young men act, dress and look like girls. They use moisturizer and stuff. The women act like toddlers. That is, when they're not spitting phlegm wads like a man. To encounter a true "man" or "woman" in the sense that I learned the words is very rare.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 04:56:55 PM »
The women act like toddlers.

there's a phrase for this 装嫩‘zhuang nen' - literally to 'fake tenderness (as in meat, not emotion)'

so true, so true...  ahahahahah ahahahahah
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

psd4fan

• 在哈尔滨黑龙江中国
    • WillExcel TESOL
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 10:39:19 PM »
A majority of the hair cuts/styles i see the young guys sporting here would get them beaten ( rightfully so) in the west.  bibibibibi

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 10:51:34 PM »
A majority of the hair cuts/styles i see the young guys sporting here would get them beaten ( rightfully so) in the west.  bibibibibi

not if they live in London.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/14/hate-hipsters-blogs
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Chief

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 11:13:43 PM »

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have heard all week  bibibibibi

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 11:29:48 PM »
I think you are all right,sorry! I mean yes you see some really ridiculous things here and yes the hairstyles are outrageous and the girls are really childish. But it's also true that because we are outsiders we can feel freer than we could at home.
And the weirdness here is definitely one of the things I like about it.But then strangely even after only 7 months here I feel very comfortable.
Does any of that make sense to anyone?  mmmmmmmmmm
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
yep, not much seems all that weird to me anymore.
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

NATO

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:02:46 AM »

Nice mate. Hadn't realised that people deserve to get beaten up for their choice of haircut before. I'd hoped that we were getting past being that narrow-minded, but as it seems we're not I guess we've got no claim to this whole freedom thing people keep blaring on about.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »
The Chinese don't seem strange to me anymore but the foreigners can be right idiots.

If you make any kind of politically incorrect statement or joke around them, then some self-important twit is going to jump in and tell you how wrong you are. Of course they are free to criticize you but you are not free to say anything that they find offensive in their humourless view of the world.

Thank God we have this place where those kind of things don't happen.

NATO

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »
You haven't got me pegged Stil, nice try tho mate.  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 02:38:20 AM »
Play nice, fellows. play nice. I am sure PSD4fan did not there is any justice in beating people up due to silly hair-cuts. I do not agree with the OP though.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

NATO

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 02:44:17 AM »
Yeah I'm sure you're right, I think you're ginger locks give you a unique angle on this one. I'm more inclined to agree with Zero especially when talking about the younger generation. Some of the older generation can definitely be pretty militant on the old men drink baijiu and smoke cigarettes front tho.

NATO

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 03:07:49 AM »
Having said that, my gf told me that a driver at her company went for a facial   at a hair salon the other day that cost him a few hundred. He smokes like a trooper, drinks regularly and has had a relationship with a prostitute that went tits up. It's just not clear cut.