The Cook Book

• 274 replies
Re: The Cook Book
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2008, 04:55:06 AM »
Don't think we can get shortening in China.  If we can, what is it called?  Where can we find it?
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Shroomy

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2008, 05:29:48 AM »
Don't know, haven't looked.  ETR asked for the recipe.  Though I am sure I have seen Crisco at the local foreigner's import store.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2008, 11:53:52 AM »
I'd use butter.

Acjade

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »
Butter's too expensive for cooking. Best saved to eat with Vegemite.

There's a Chinese made margarine available now. And the only thing it's good for is cooking. I bought mine at Ren ren le.

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2008, 01:12:46 PM »
Butter is real.  Margarine is only one step removed from plastic.  Even bugs won't/can't eat margarine.  I would use butter or rendered fat.  Crisco is probably just as bad but my mind will accept using it but not the margarine.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Shroomy

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2008, 02:36:37 PM »
Butter and shortening don't necessarily substitute for each other in cookie baking.  The texture will be different.  Butter makes a crisp cookie usually, and shortening more moist and chewy.  You want this cookie to be chewy.  For what it's worth, given your options.  It was my father's favorite cookie.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2008, 04:04:19 PM »
You can also use cooking oil as a substitute for shortening - need to experiment with different oils as each will give a different texture.  If you use 2/3 cup oil instead of 1 cup shortening.  Otherwise 1 cup shortening should be replaced by 3/4 cup butter. 

When I am bothered to cook I use good ingredients - cheaper ones (wine, marg etc) make the taste 'cheaper' as well. If I am going to that much effort (buying, cooking, cleaning) it is irritating to know that it could have tasted better.  Plus with the wine then my guest who is usually chatting to me in the kitchen and I can sip and cook.  Friendly.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2008, 04:47:45 AM »
I bet you would, baby. afafafafaf

Uh, I'll leave this one cryptic. uuuuuuuuuu
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2008, 06:06:04 AM »
GOOD idea!

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2008, 06:20:34 AM »
Here's my recent favorite: tofu cabbage

1 cabbage
1 piece of tofu (the brown one that comes in these pieces)

cut it all up, heat up oil, throw cabbage in, then tofu, stir fry till cooked. Of course add some salt. YUMMY. With plain rice.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2008, 09:53:51 AM »
Here's my recent favorite: tofu cabbage

1 cabbage
1 piece of tofu (the brown one that comes in these pieces)

cut it all up, heat up oil, throw cabbage in, then tofu, stir fry till cooked. Of course add some salt. YUMMY. With plain rice.

i'm positively shocked..... in all the years i've known you, this is the closest you've ever been to eating chinese food while living in China.  bibibibibi bibibibibi afafafafaf agagagagag
alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Acjade

« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2008, 06:44:16 PM »
Poor Cheeks has had a lot of stress recently.

Acjade

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2008, 07:13:03 PM »
Anyone got anything new to do with chicken fillets?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »
Curry, crumb, BBQ, hamburger, stuff, gong bao ji ding, hotpot, tang cu, jiaozi, baozi - you name it - it can be done!

Or give them to the local cats. ahahahahah

Acjade

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2008, 07:41:18 PM »
Curry, crumb, BBQ, hamburger, stuff, gong bao ji ding, hotpot, tang cu, jiaozi, baozi - you name it - it can be done!

Or give them to the local cats. ahahahahah

Crumb? Maybe. Never use fillets for a curry. Too dry. Thighs and drumstcks are tender and have more flavour. I don't have a BBQ and I sometimes mince the fillets to make chicken rissoles or a chicken lasagne. Hotpot is for the restaurants. A Chinese friend keeps me supplied with jiaozi.

But what I was after was something NEW. bibibibibi