Textbook suggestions for my student please

• 5 replies

NATO

Textbook suggestions for my student please
« on: January 15, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »
I have a 1 to 1 student, in his 30's working in the technology industry. He's studied English a bit in his spare time over the past few years but, to be honest, is English is a bit shite. His vocab is not too bad but he needs a lot of guidance with grammar, sentence structure and things like that. His goal is to be able to read time magazine articles and understand them ( aoaoaoaoao). I think he would benefit immensely from the structure of a series of textbooks and so I'm looking to you guys for suggestions. It's been a while since I did the CELTA/worked in a language school in the UK, so I've forgotten the most popular ones. Any you can suggest? Btw ability to purchase in China is not necessarily a factor.

BrandeX

Re: Textbook suggestions for my student please
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:25:47 AM »
I usually use the New Interchange series. Its common enough in China as well.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 04:35:26 PM »
I use (non-new) Interchange. I think the structure is nice, many easy topics to get students talking. Using book 1 and the 入门 yellow book right now with some of my lower level students.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »
If you get New Interchange, be sure to get the most recent edition, otherwise it is going to strike students (especially younger people) as being anachronistic. It is one of those books that tries to be up to date and "hip" but unfortunately that means that the set published even 10 years or so ago seems out of date.

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 06:44:50 PM »
Technology student? Look at the Free Online Dictionary of Computing (foldoc.org) and the "Hacker's Dictionary" (MIT Press) whose online incarnation is the "jargon file". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jargon_File

If technical/academic writing is an issue, see www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~cslui/english_writing1.pdf on common errors in papers by Chinese graduate engineering students. Also, Don Knuth (a top computer science guy & inventor of TeX which many math, physics & CS journals require for all papers) did a Stanford course on "Mathematical Writing" & his TAs turned their notes into a book http://www-cs-faculty.stanford.edu/~uno/klr.html

I taught a course on English technical writing for PhD students & my materials are online. ftp://ftp.cs.sjtu.edu.cn:990/sandy/Course/
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

CaseyOrourke

• USAF TACP
    • Yankee Texan In China
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:25:55 PM »
I would use the actual articles from Time or other technical journals and instead of focusing on the content of the article, have him pay special attention to and analyze the sentence structure, word choices and how punctuation is used.  The material should interest him enough to avoid hsving to read something he doesn't like or find boring