Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. Can anyone help me with my query?

• 17 replies
Hi guys, hope you're all well!

I'm Ade, a 27 year old first Esl Teacher. I've just signed my first contract to work in China for a company called Kidcastle in Xi'an. I've heard alot of bad/good stories about this particular school. I've spoken to an English teacher that works there, he ensured me that it was a reliable school to work, so I took the chance.

I've never taught a class by myself before and I was wondering whether anyone had some tips for new starters?

:-D

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. Can anyone help me with my query?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
Never taught a class by yourself before and you plan to do the first one in China?!? aoaoaoaoao

How soon until you jump on the airplane?  Any chance of trying a solo class or two before coming over?
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
First, and maybe not really addressing your query, but I'd say that Kidcastle in Xian has the worst reputation of any school in China; and there's a lot of schools in China. If you do a careful search on other sites for both terms 'Kidcastle' and 'Xian', you will find a lot of genuine sounding bad experiences.

Of course fans of this forum can't overlook Kidcastle's local rivals, Gallop, but I've always figured that Kidcastle gets the worst publicity.

So, if you do go and work there, and things have really changed, then let us know. I'm pretty certain that I've never seen a good review for the school. I don't think there's much about the school on this site, and most of the horror stories are a few years old. It's possible that things have improved. However, I'd suggest getting the input from two current teachers.

As for tips for new teachers, it depends on what Kidcastle will actually want. They may not want good ESL teaching per se. It may be more important to keep the customers (kids and parents) happy, look the part and help the school make money. I'm not saying this nastily. ESL is a business, and I would imagine Kidcastle want to maximise profits, and have a clear idea what teachers can and should do in the classroom to facilitate that.

Look; here's something that someone wrote just a couple of months ago; "I would give Kidcastle many adjectives, but I would be very kind to call it a school. If you teach here, you are barely an English teacher. Most days, I don't fell like a teacher. There’s a reason why Kidcastle’s standards are so low: all they really need is the foreigner’s face." from http://china.eslteachercafe.com/topic45-kid-castle-xian--.aspx
Have you talked to the Director of Studies (or equivalent)?. That would enable yoyu to know what they're looking for.

I would look on sites such as http://bogglesworldesl.com and  other sites to find out some games that you can play in the classroom. Good 'language mills' will support their teachers, because they know that they sometimes lack experience.

However, I have seen absolutely nothing, other than your one post, to even suggest that there's anything good about this branch of Kidcastle. The very fact you're asking your question suggests that you may not be happy at a school with this one's reputation.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:55:56 PM by Just Like Mr Benn »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:20:39 PM »
I've gathered that there are 2 Kids Castles in Xian: one is a fairly decent place and the other one is the source of endless horror stories, arguably the worst teaching venue in China. Pray that you landed on the first one...

Personally I wouldn't even take the chance. I'd find another job before coming over to China. The bad one really is that bad!

"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Borkya

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »

I've never taught a class by myself before and I was wondering whether anyone had some tips for new starters?

:-D

Don't worry, I was also a total newbie when I came to China, and my first class I EVER taught was 30 college kids in a boonie town. I also had only about a 24 hour heads up what I was expected to teach, and given no materials or even many tips on what to do. But I prepped my ass off, looking up tips and such on the internet, and acted confident on the first day. The first few weeks are the hardest, and evn if your nervous as hell (like I was) just fake it.

gonzo

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:23:51 PM »
Don't worry. Most on here had never taught before coming to China, and everyone here was an absolute beginner at some stage.
Having said that, its your job to make sure that you give your students value and that you don't make a prat of yourself. Prepare a weeks worth of lessons, even if you ditch them after day one. Ignore your school's reputation, or lack of. Its you in the spotlight.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:57:11 PM »
sage advice, gonzo
Borkya:
But I prepped my ass off, looking up tips and such on the internet, and acted confident on the first day
Exactly.
If I can add one thing, it would be the advice I was given 10 years ago. Fake it until you make it.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:14:21 AM »
Don't sweat it. Teaching is easier than first expected. Read your text-book thoroughly. Make a goal for what the students are supposed to learn in that lesson, if these are younger students, turn it into a game of some such. As for what game, other more fun educators than I will have to explain. Most importantly, do not show nervousness or fear, students can smell those things  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
yeah ETR just like dogs,right?  ahahahahah seriously, we all walked into a class shitless and we are all still here right? I would say starting off with Chinese kids will be easier than it was for me starting off with Israeli high school hooligans.Use your novelty value to the max,they will be interested cos u r new and different so milk that for all it's worth.After some time they stop paying attention to you as you are not new any more- so be thankful that they are interested in you.
As Borkya and ETR said,prepare,scour the Net,there are some great resources out there,and be flexible. IF something doesn't appear to be working drop it and do something else! Nobody will know what your original plan was. Above all be confident and show them you are the boss.  bfbfbfbfbf
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

Ruth

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:20:10 AM »
If you are teaching wee ones, learn a few action songs. Put them on some sort of media so you can play them in class. Music and movement works a charm when teaching kindies and the younger primaries. The basics are "head and shoulders, knees and toes" and "the Hokey Pokey", but you'll need more than those to keep the kids entertained and active. What the others said - research. The internet is your friend.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 07:22:10 PM »
@ Escaped Lunatic - It wasn't great planning on my part, I assumed I'd get the necessary training abroad to competently teach. *Palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy*

Sorry for the stupidly late reply. Thanks for the heads up! There some amazing tips here which I'm gonna jump straight on.  agagagagag
From what I gathered the most important things will be, preparing well in advance in regards to lesson plans and keeping the lesson fun for the younger ones (4-8 years). If I end up at KidCastle Xi'an, I'll let you know how it goes.

The bad experiences at KidCastle Xian actually got to me, I wanted to opt out of the contract as I found a better job but KidCastle had already applied for a Z Visa. I heard a rumour that if I didn't show up I'd be blacklist in China, so I thought 'just grin and bear it for 12 months'. Is that actually true about the blacklist?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 07:33:50 PM by asobowale »

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »

The bad experiences at KidCastle Xian actually got to me, I wanted to opt out of the contract as I found a better job but Kidcastle had already applied for a Z Visa. I heard a rumour that if I didn't show up I'd be blacklist in China, so I thought just grin and bear it for 12 months. Is that actually true about the blacklist?

It's possible, although somewhat unlikely. It's more likely that they would be able to blacklist you in the province. However, they will have spent a lot of money getting the letter of invitation for you. I personally hold the view that once it reaches this stage you should honour your commitment.

Hope it's the good Kidcastle.

BrandeX

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 02:35:46 AM »
As the years go by, and the topic comes up now and then online, I am more convinced the "Blacklist" thing is BS and generally an empty threat unless you are in some 1 rickshaw town that only has a few schools.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:32:13 AM »
@ Just Like Mr Benn - I know there are Kidcastles in Yanta, Xi'an and Jixiangchun, Xi'an. I am in the Jixiangchun, Xi'an. I can't find any information on this KidCastle so fingers crossed! Thanks

@ Brandex - That's what I thought about the Blacklist. However, I was speaking to an American businessman who owns Washington Cultural Exchange Center. He told me that once a Z Visa has been successfully issued, if the FT doesn't show up he is automatically put on a National Blacklist. He also said if it's a F-Visa, that doesn't matter, you won't be listed.

BrandeX

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
I didn't read that clearly, I suppose it's possible. I was thinking along the lines of the school attempting to do that to a person, which is occasionally threatened to people.