Need quick advice for a VIP class with a teen

• 8 replies

babala

Need quick advice for a VIP class with a teen
« on: October 04, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
When I say VIP class I mean one on one but somehow it made my title seem a little dirty cbcbcbcbcb

Anyway I am doing the boss a favour and teaching at the kid's school this weekend. I am teaching a 16 year old boy for 2 hours everyday. I don't have a lot to go on except his level is about intermediate and the parents want to focus on his speaking.

It's been awhile since I taught a teen. I want to make the class as interesting as I can for him and it seems I'm pretty free to do what I want.

Suggestions?
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

Re: Need quick advice for a VIP class with a teen
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 04:39:57 PM »
Yes, for the first class, ask him what is interests are, why he wants to study English, what the purpose of the class is and then structure the lessons around those answers.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 05:02:01 PM »
Yes, for the first class, ask him what is interests are, why he wants to study English, what the purpose of the class is and then structure the lessons around those answers.
That should take care of the first five minutes. These guanxi classes are a pain in the arse! :lickass:

Don't do them, but if you have to, use Krashen's i+1 theory, which is pushing students one level above where they feel comfortable.  If he thinks he's operating at Headway Intermediate level, push him up a grade, tut-tutting when he screws up. Really put him though the hoops: none of this "Wow, your English is so good," crap. His parents will be impressed by your rigour, offer you bribes and beat the boy. Win win, except for the lad.
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »
That should take care of the first five minutes. These guanxi classes are a pain in the arse!

Amen to that, brother! agagagagag
Teaching Chinese teens can be tough. They generally do nothing but go to school, which can make the range of discussion subjects a bit limited.

I would minimize the textbook exercises- he probably gets a bellyful of those in school anyway- and engage in conversation as much as possible. Step in when he goes too far off track. I wouldn't approach it too differently from teaching an adult or a college student.

I definitely agree with Gonzo on keeping him a bit off-balance at all times. One real danger of these classes is accusations of "not teaching me anything"...
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

babala

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »
I didn't have to do the class, I wanted the overtime money as I am planning a trip home for Christmas.

As gonzo said eric, that chat won't occupy a 2 hour class and I will only teach him in total for 3 days (6 hours).

What kind of topics would you suggest. I can't make computer games and basketball last for 3 days bibibibibi Do you think having one topic per day makes sense?
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. Homer Simpson

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »
What kind of topics would you suggest. I can't make computer games and basketball last for 3 days bibibibibi Do you think having one topic per day makes sense?

If he is intending on studying overseas I would use "student life" in other countries as a topic - accessible, relevant and interesting.  There is plenty of stuff about Uni. life in the UK kicking around the newspapers just now because it is Fresher's Week.

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »
It worked for me when I did a 10-hour course of one-on-one with a 16 year-old boy who wanted to go to prep school in Florida. First I had him do introductions, really detailed introductions of his school, his family, his hometown, his interests, his likes and  dislikes, all the while taking copious notes regarding his pronunciation, his grammar, his vocab. I confiscated his phone when class began, so he had to either try to remember a word or, if he could not, come up with different word. Then, when he was done, I began addressing all the things he had done wrong, going over the issues over and over again.
When class was over, I gave him a text from a childrens' book marked with stressed and unstressed syllables and 5 questions that he had to answer for next class. Not write them down, but formulate an answer in his head and tell me. He also had to practice reading the text out loud, to get a feel for the rhythm of English. These one-on-one clasees are only a pain in the ass if they are approached as a pain in the ass. I always find them easy and less stressful than the 40 students in one class I have to teach at Uni.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 08:04:07 PM »
ETR - Excellent advice.  bfbfbfbfbf

babala

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 06:37:02 AM »
I wish I knew what exactly was going on with this kid. I'm pretty much going in blind. Some CC at the other school arranged these classes and of course she is on holiday and has her phone shut off llllllllll Who knows what she promised his parents.

I will sit down and chat with him and do a detailed test of his English level. I planned a few activites to mainly get him practicing his spoken English.

I admit, I am not a fan of one on one teaching. I know some teachers really like it but I never have. I have 4 VIP's (what we call one on one) every week but they are managers at their companies and have very specific needs. I still would much rather have a bigger class (which I don't know why I don't as I'm the one who assigns the classes kkkkkkkkkk).