Eagle's View of Changzhou Pt. 1

• 8 replies

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
Eagle's View of Changzhou Pt. 1
« on: October 25, 2009, 06:11:12 AM »
Hi all.  Two years in Changzhou, Jiangsu, yeilded a lot of photos - more than ten thousand to be exact.  I promise I won't post all ten thousand photos - promise.  But that said, I do think it is time to post some of them for those considering employment there or simply to see the place as I saw it.  Needless to say, the majority of the photos are ordinary.  The one's I will post are those that ellicit memories.  As well, they are unedited (sorry George, I'm too lazy to do this work at this time).  This first set of photos was taken in September 2006.

A few blocks from our apartment there was a small lake which was surrounded by green spaces that many had turned into produce gardens.  Most of the gardeners were older, retired people like this man.

Near the Changzhou headquarters of Google and other software companies which are located in the Software Park building alongside the small lake, these two ladies are busy mowing the lawn wearing a smile.  Perhaps they thought I was funny or perhaps they were simply appreciative of my taking their photo.

I checked out a rock show in the main park in the downtown area.  In the background you can see the steeple of the Christian church, a landmark for most expats in Changzhou whether they are Christian or not - a reminder of their home countries in the western world.
“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)

George

• My view of China
Re: Eagle's View of Changzhou Pt. 1
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:17:21 AM »
Not much editing to do there, Eagle.They work well as is(are?)
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:02:28 AM »
A few more for your viewing pleasure:

This photo was taken only a few blocks from the three story computer city complex in southern Changzhou.

This photo was taken just metres off the main street, Jianling Lu.  The scene was hidden behind a tall thin barricade which served as advertising space as well as an attempt to hide the scene from sight.

I doubt if you can tell, but I am in the photo, in the shadows, enjoying a hot lunch.

This photo was taken near China Dinosaur Park in the north end of Changzhou.  It was a short walk of about two km to visit the park.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:58:04 AM »
A few more photos from Changzhou:

It wasn't too long after this shot that fishing was banned in the lake.  Strange how the posting of a new rule didn't seem to reduce the incidents of illegal fishing for quite a few months.  In the end, the fishing did stop.

Washing clothes in the lake never did become illegal.  Some traditions never change so the tell me.  However, I doubt that it was because of tradition and that it had more to do with the absence of a real home with a real clothes washing machine.

I got to see how the bamboo slat barricades were made.  This business at this location soon went down as the land near the city hall was too precious for this kind of enterprise.

Parents lining up to rescue their little emperors and empresses from school.  In my second year in China I got to work with the Chinese 'English" teachers at this school. 

It's amazing how a few men and mallets on whippy pvc handles were able to demolish buildings.  Just down the road, the same work was being done using more modern demolition technology.

Of course, it is all about rescuing building materials, a profitable business in itself.

Siesta, Changzhou style.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
Where would China be, without migrant workers?
Good shooting, Eagle.
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Schnerby

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 09:14:52 PM »
Nice shots, Eagle

I bet looking at them makes you even more 'China sick', as opposed to homesick.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 04:38:23 AM »
Yes indeed.  I also happen to be working on a book with the working title, A Laowai's Lens: First Impressions.  Not much for text, but what text does exist is in both Mandarin and Chinese so that the book might have a market in China (looking for a Chinese publisher).

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 05:10:28 PM »
but what text does exist is in both Mandarin and Chinese .

Question:  Is the Chinese - Cantonese?? ie, Simplified characters (Mandarin) vs. traditional characters (Cantonese)?

Or did you mean in both Mandarin and English mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmm
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:29:04 AM »
Mandarin (simplified).  I have a Chinese uni prof working with me on the translation.  I hope to have a pinyin version as well in my own materials in case I want to do a book reading (any help I can get - LOL!)