Hold Your Own ID Documents!

• 37 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Hold Your Own ID Documents!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 03:57:27 PM »

It's normal for schools to keep the FEC.

Really?

I've been here eight and a half years and have always held it myself.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »
Me too. I always got mine, over a comparable period of years.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

old34

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
Me three.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

xwarrior

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 03:21:57 AM »
x4.  The FEC is issued in my name and as the 'bearer' of the document I am "entitled to conveniences and treatments for experts provided by the government of the People's Republic of China."

I live in the hope that one day I will be able to use my FEC at a toilet reserved for foreign experts. I also hope that the scope of treatments will be extended to cover those provided by massage girls.

In the meantime I look on the FEC as the only proof I have that I actually had the jobs listed on my CV. For that reason (and a couple of others, including making it easier for banks and supermarkets to get my employment details recorded)I always make sure they hand over the FEC as soon as it is available.

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »
My passport says "This passport is the property of the Canadian government." in several places. It also has this paragraph (page 4 for Canadians):

" If your passport is surrendered to any person or agency outside the Canadian government (e.g. to obtain a visa) and is not promptly returned, report the facts to one of the above offices.

Unfortunately, most of us don't jot down those contacts before some "helpful" FAO decides to "safely" keep a passport. bibibibibi

I live in the hope that one day I will be able to use my FEC at a toilet reserved for foreign experts. I also hope that the scope of treatments will be extended to cover those provided by massage girls.

Someday, I'll find a way to get an FEC.  In the meantime, all I've got is an Alien Employment Permit. ananananan
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Paul

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2012, 03:20:42 AM »
Most schools keep the FEC.  Some don't.  It's not a problem.  You don't need it.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2012, 03:59:25 AM »
Why do you say most schools keep it Paul, I don't any that do and if you don't need it, why is it issued?

Pashley

• My page at Citizendium
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
Why do you say most schools keep it Paul, I don't any that do ... ?

Over the years, I've worked at five schools that got me FECs, in four provinces. I have yet to have one ask to keep the FEC.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »
When I first arrived my uni gave me my passport but kept the FEC for a little over one semester. I'm not sure why.

Possible dumb question alert! So if I now have my passport and FEC and plan to leave this uni at the end of my contract, I can keep them until I get to the next stop in my Chinese adventure?
 ababababab

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 03:35:16 AM »
I kept my FEC from both universities I worked at when I left.   agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

xwarrior

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 03:55:35 AM »
The regulations say that you have to hand the FEC back to the uni when you leave. There is a statement on the inside of the back cover to that effect.

I always keep mine. If asked to hand it in (as I have been at 2 places) I just say that I have lost it - 'but I will keep looking'. It has not been seen as a problem - we have just moved on to the next item on the agenda. 
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 11:53:04 PM »
it can be a problem if your next job is in Shanghai. The PTB there require a chopped doc from the government people responsible saying that you have returned your FEC from your previous employer. I had to courier mine back to the FAO at my old school in Wuhan so she could turn it in and send the docs back to the new school. But that is Shanghai.  bjbjbjbjbj

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 05:43:55 AM »
I,ve never had posession of my FEC either. Seen it in the FAO's office and even held it in my hot little hand. Just something else for me to lose if i have it at home. ahahahahah
i,m not crazy, my reality is just different to your's

Ruth

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »
I'm in my 6th contract year at my current place of employment. I asked for my FEC when I was first hired. They told me they keep it in the office. I've seen it and they do, in fact, keep it locked in a cabinet in the FAO. Yes, it's got my name on it, but it is issued to me because of their employment. One less thing for me to worry about, IMHO.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 07:30:03 AM »
My school keeps the FEC. I asked them and they said the Guangdong bureau told them to keep it at the school and they also said that they have to put a notice in the paper if a teacher loses it or doesn't return it to the school at the end of the contract, and also that a govt. inspection will want to see it with the teacher's contract. They also said it causes them trouble if it's lost and is absolutely no good to the teacher for anything they knew of.

I asked if I could take it home to make a high quality scan and they said no problem, so that way I have a record of my employment in addition to the other paper work.