piglet

• Piglet's House
Re: How to beat culture shock?
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2011, 04:08:04 AM »
Well what a splendid post,Red
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2011, 05:01:20 AM »
The more I think about this the more I don't think the problem is culture shock. Finally I came up with this sort of psychological test.

I imagine myself back home in America, but unable to speak English beyond the kindergarten level, unable to read, and with some conspicuous physical attribute that would make me stand out like a Martian. Even though American culture is hardly a shock to a native, suddenly my life would, ironically, become much more difficult than it is here. It would be brutal to have to mime in, say, Los Angeles.

Life in the 3rd tier city is actually kind of cozy and laid back for me. The only problem is just how difficult it is to communicate (and my Chinese has close to a thousand hours invested in it), and being one of only 5 foreigners in the city at present, so always being the "Lao Wai".

The culture hasn't itself posed many problems since I escaped having to work for Chinese businessmen who play by whatever rules they can get away with.

Actually, I'm getting so used to being the Lao Wai that the real problem is just the language. Even the occassional, "Fock yu" wouldn't bother me if I could make a witty riposte.  Which reminds me = stop posting and get back to studying.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:19:44 AM by Ben-Dan »
suddenly it become more of a statement to NOT have a tattoo…

mlaeux

• How's the water?
    • Fukushima has changed everything.
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2012, 02:02:10 AM »
Anyone else make plans and then flake out because they can't bear the thought of braving the streets?  :wtf:

I've been here 2 years now. When do I start to get over it?  mmmmmmmmmm

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2012, 03:16:55 PM »
Anyone else make plans and then flake out because they can't bear the thought of braving the streets?  :wtf:

I've been here 2 years now. When do I start to get over it?  mmmmmmmmmm

Some days I just don't feel like dealing with people.  Felt the same in the USA every now and then, so I don't think its culture shock.  I just feel anti-social from time to time.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »
I wouldn't want to deal with the streets in Xian, Changsha, Qingdao or Beijing these days.

If I had wumao for every time I have walked into a shop or a bus and then turned around and left again straight away because it is too crowded though ...