world cup

• 252 replies

George

• My view of China
Re: world cup
« Reply #240 on: July 13, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »
"Sadly for Paul the Octopus, not even his 8-0 tipping record could overshadow the greatest mystery of this World Cup: How did New Zealand depart South Africa as the only undefeated team?"
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

xwarrior

« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2010, 01:12:08 AM »

the greatest mystery of this World Cup: How did New Zealand depart South Africa as the only undefeated team?"

Good question George - and you were the only one in the Saloon to notice!    agagagagag

Just in case there are doubters it goes something like this:

It is a trainspotter's delight.

Little old New Zealand, ranked No78 by the folk at Fifa, yesterday emerged as the only unbeaten team from the World Cup.

Spain's 1-0 triumph against the Netherlands in the tournament decider meant all of the other 31 teams had suffered defeat, including the Spaniards, who lost 1-0 to Switzerland in pool play.

Only three teams had previously exited the World Cup unbeaten after the first round of matches – Scotland (1974), Cameroon (1982) and Belgium (1998).

All Whites goalkeeper Mark Paston, inspirational in the draws against Slovakia, Italy and Paraguay, described the achievement as 'weird'.

"It's obviously not something you would have thought would happen four weeks ago but I think it'll be in trivia questions for years to come.

"Most people will probably get it wrong as well," Paston laughed.

"I think it's just one of those things that just pops up from time to time."

Despite punching well above their weight, New Zealand were eliminated as Paraguay and Slovakia advanced from their group.

"It's fantastic, obviously, to go through three games unbeaten but in saying that, it would have been nice to get that crucial goal in the last game and go through to the second round," Paston said.

"But that's football and we didn't get the goal we needed and unfortunately we were eliminated."

So ...... has anyone got an answer to George's question?

That is, "How did New Zealand depart South Africa as the only undefeated team?"

I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #242 on: July 14, 2010, 03:14:43 AM »
The three point for a win stupidity.

Team A - Three ties = three points

Team B - Two ties and a win = five points

Team C - One win, one tie, one loss = four points

Due to the tiebreaker rules, Team C may advance instead of the Team A
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #243 on: July 14, 2010, 08:33:03 AM »
Holland played 'anti-football' against Spain in the final, says Johan Cruyff

Former Holland international Johan Cruyff has launched a scathing attack on the performance of Bert Van Marwijk's team in Sunday's World Cup final against Spain.

Cruyff, Holland's greatest ever player, expressed his regret and sadness at the "vulgar tactics" employed by the Dutch - a country that coined the phrase 'total football' in the 1970s and who have been associated with attractive, elegant play ever since, until now.

"I said, 'No, no way at all'. Not because I hate this style. I said no because I thought my country wouldn't dare to and would never renounce their style.

"I said no because, without having great players like those of the past, the team has its own style. I was wrong.

"Of course I'm not hanging all 11 of them by the same rope, but almost. They didn't want the ball.

"And regrettably, sadly, they played very dirty. So much so that they should have been down to nine immediately, then they made two (such) ugly and hard tackles that even I felt the damage.

"This ugly, vulgar, hard, hermetic, hardly eye-catching, hardly football style, yes it served the Dutch to unsettle Spain.

"If with this they got satisfaction, fine, but they ended up losing. They were playing anti-football."

The flying kick by Nigel de Jong into Xabi Alonso's chest was particularly bad and the Holland midfielder was incredibly lucky not to shown a straight red card.

Instead, referee Howard Webb, reluctant at that stage to dismiss a player, produced a yellow.

Alonso has since described it as the worst tackle he has ever faced. The Real Madrid playmaker said: "I am in pain now. It was one of the worst tackles I have ever had, certainly one of the most painful.

"It was hard to play on. I have probably broken a rib, but right now I am not worried. It is an amazing feeling to have won the trophy."

On his so-called tackle, De Jong said: "The referee gave me the yellow card so, for me, it was a little bit of luck."

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2010, 09:05:49 AM »
The three point for a win stupidity.

Team A - Three ties = three points

Team B - Two ties and a win = five points

Team C - One win, one tie, one loss = four points

Due to the tiebreaker rules, Team C may advance instead of the Team A

3 points for a win is one of the bst things about football and it means that teams have to try to win because you can't win unless you can win games

no offence to new zealand but it would have been a travesty if they had gone through at the expense of any of the other teams

xwarrior

« Reply #245 on: July 14, 2010, 04:23:33 PM »
3 points for a win is one of the bst things about football and it means that teams have to try to win

I agree with the points system as it is - and so does every NZer. Mark Paston, the NZ goalkeeper summed it up:

"It's fantastic, obviously, to go through three games unbeaten but in saying that, it would have been nice to get that crucial goal in the last game and go through to the second round," Paston said.

"But that's football and we didn't get the goal we needed and unfortunately we were eliminated."

Any competition must be designed to encourage players to go for a win.
- Bette Midler

« Reply #246 on: July 14, 2010, 09:18:21 PM »
It's the anti-boring rule.  It swings the balance of play towards offense.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #247 on: July 14, 2010, 10:21:36 PM »
Then why not have it as true "Sudden Death"

The loser gets bababababa

In case of a tie, then  bcbcbcbcbc
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #248 on: July 15, 2010, 08:09:27 PM »
With higher technology, there are new possibilities.  I propose that after each 10-15 minutes of playing time, the field shrinks and each team takes off a player.  It would be like playing between 6 and 9 minimatches within a bigger one.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #249 on: July 15, 2010, 08:35:25 PM »
I much prefer sudden death to a shootout. since footie is played on a huge pitch and only allows 3 substitutions, allow an extra substitute for every 30 minute period of OT.
FWIW I don't believe that a loss should be worth more than a draw.

xwarrior

« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2010, 11:13:13 PM »
I think Touch Rugby has a good solution to a drawn game - - a "drop off" in extra time until a team scores.

If it was adapted for football/soccer then:

- extra time starts with all players on the field
- after 5 mins play is stopped momentarily and a player from each team 'drops off' and leaves the field
-  every 5 mins a player leaves the field until a team scores ... and win the game

The system, to me, is fair in that is a team effort all the way through - rather than a penalty shoot-out that comes down to individuals deciding the match.

The system sure hypes up players and spectators alike.

- Bette Midler

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #251 on: July 15, 2010, 11:36:26 PM »
i don't think the extra time/penalties system is that bad

of course it's unfair and heartbreaking but it is really really exciting

« Reply #252 on: July 16, 2010, 02:28:54 AM »
How did New Zealand depart South Africa as the only undefeated team?

There's a great pub quiz question in there.

I pretty much agree with this summary of the 2010 World Cup:

http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/2010/07/top-10-world-cup-myths/

I particularly liked the line about the Dutch performance in the final, 'thirty years of affection was spoilt in one nasty match.'  I grew up loving the Dutch side of the 1970s and 1980s, but last Sunday I felt like punching anyone wearing clogs.