Earthquake!

• 246 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2008, 02:24:39 PM »
Not again.   ananananan ananananan ananananan ananananan
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

paddyfields

« Reply #241 on: May 11, 2009, 07:43:48 AM »
A total of 5,335 students in Sichuan dead or missing from May 12 earthquake

CHENGDU, May 7 (Xinhua) -- China released the number of students killed or missing in the southwestern Sichuan province on Thursday, almost a year after the May 12 massive quake jolted the region.

A total of 5,335 students in Sichuan were confirmed as dead or missing from the earthquake, said Tu Wentao, head of the education department of the province at a press conference.

Another 546 students were disabled as a result of the disaster in the southwestern province, Tu said.

Huang Yong from Leigu Township, Beichuan County said he was surprised at the announcement.

"I thought that the government wouldn't touch such a sensitive topic as the one-year anniversary of the quake is approaching," said Huang, 42, whose 10th-grade son Huang Yiran was killed in the collapse of the Beichuan Middle School.

"Releasing the number is a reply for the ill-fated kids," he said.

His view was shared by villager Chen Dingfu from Longtou Village, also in Beichuan.

"This is great progress ... the government has never released the number of dead students before," he said.

Ruth

« Reply #242 on: May 11, 2009, 04:45:56 PM »
One of my freshmen students lived through it.  She's in my speech class and wrote her speech about how precious life is, contrasting the recent suicides at a neighboring university with her experience helping in a hospital after the quake and meeting a man who cut off his own leg in order to free himself and crawl from the rubble.  I spent some 1-1 time with this girl and she spoke quite freely of her mixed emotions.  She said she didn't think anything else in her life would bother her after the experience of last year.  She also said she's not sure how she should feel as the 1-year anniversary approaches.  She's thankful and relieved that she and her family are alive, but there's also sorrow and regret for those who are lost.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.

« Reply #243 on: May 11, 2009, 05:07:23 PM »
Yeah, definite mixed emotions about the 1-year anniversary here in Chengdu, grateful that we survived and also a bit reluctant to remember if you can understand that, would be easier to forget all about it, except we can't. Tomorrow the Chengdu Bookworm is doing a commeration evening and, if you want to help the rebuilding effort at all, check out this and go buy it:

Abigail Washburn is an amazing bluegrass singer and banjo player from the US.  Abigail came over last year and went to an old University where some of the Wenchuan middle school students were being housed because their school was destroyed by the earthquake.  Abigail used to live in Chengdu, so she is fluent in Chinese and sings many Chinese folk songs.  She entertained the kids that evening and became inspired.  A few months ago Abigail and David Liang from Shanghai Restoration project came back to Sichuan with an idea.  They created an album that would raise money for Earthquake victims.  The album is called "Afterquake" and it will be released this Tuesday.  It is on sale on I-tunes and Amazon for download for $5.99 or if you live in Chengdu it will be available to purchase at The Bookworm.  It is 18 minutes long, but it is well worth the money, I heard a preview last month and it was fab.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103906236&sc=emaf

« Reply #244 on: May 14, 2009, 07:06:39 AM »
Suzhou Bookworm is involved.  Charity event coming up.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #245 on: May 14, 2009, 01:08:55 PM »
We held a minutes silence at the time of the earthquake.

And at that time I also thought of the 150,000 (and counting) fatalities from Cyclone Nargis in Myanmar a week earlier.

Earthquake!
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2011, 08:24:18 PM »
Yes, I agree with avoiding Panzhihua. Nothing much to do there. Very very hot in summer and the pay there is not much either.