Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #765 on: August 05, 2008, 03:09:39 AM »
Just to prepare for the upcoming sojourn to China, Friday is all about Beijing Cao Ya and then "The Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" in the cinema.

Oh, guess who just got the entire "I, Claudius" on DVD? Murderous, duplicitous Romans...fun, fun, fun agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #766 on: August 05, 2008, 04:31:36 AM »
Friday is all about Beijing Cao Ya.

Cao ya - grassland duck?  Or kao ya - Beijing Duck?

Watched I, Claudius the 1st time round on TV.  Was away from home for the episode that he killed his sister.  Decided we couldn't miss an episode so we went to an elderly aunt's place, talked up how great the program was, convinced her to watch it - and...... llllllllll

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #767 on: August 05, 2008, 04:42:16 AM »
I can think of another definition for cao  uuuuuuuuuu

And another meaning for duck.

You are looking to have a VERY good time aren't you Eric.

« Reply #768 on: August 05, 2008, 04:44:03 AM »
Grumblemumble...Kao Ya...Grassland duck??? What? Why even ask?
I'm saving "I, Claudius" for China. I'm also saving the Dr. Who DVD's I bought yesterday. Doctor Who is just amazing.

Yes, Stil, I am. I am indeed.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #769 on: August 05, 2008, 04:49:45 AM »
Going through a medical phase.  House Season 4, Grey's Anatomy season whatever, Bones season whatever, Nip/Yuck season 5.

Not sure that there is too much medicine in Nip/Tuck.  More sex than Sex in the City though.

EDIT: Nip/Yuck was a typo - but I decided it fits, so have left it!

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #770 on: August 05, 2008, 03:49:19 PM »
OK - I am now truly scared for the future of humankind. 

I watched Nip/Tuck all the way through.  Season 1 was mildly amusing and some of the procedures were interesting.  Each succeeding season managed to destroy any amusement until it finally degenerated into 'how weird can we make the sex?' and became totally puerile and pathetic.

That this lasted 5 seasons (please don't tell me there is more!!) and Firefly lasted only 1 is truly frightening.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #771 on: August 05, 2008, 04:07:13 PM »
Howdy.

Been away a long time, tell people about it later, but some movies I didn't see mentioned.

Shoot 'em up. a great shoot em up, nothing else, sort of in the vein of boondock saints and such. But one of the first movies for a long time I immediately watched again.

Two movies, great classics from the past that I have been trying to get for a while, still waiting for downloads to finish (for the last few weeks, dammit), are:

Seven Faces of Dr Lao
Gumshoe

A couple of others for those liking the weird classics:

Buckaroo Banzai
Ruling Class
American Way

and of course not to mention

Dr Strangelove
 and
Young Frankenstein.

Firefly did have part of series two if I recall, too, not just one series. The DVD I saw had a doco with it and other stuff. Excellent, IM not-so-humble O.

"AKA Tommy Chong" doco of his bust for being a stoner comedian is good too and an indictment of a lot of stuff going on in the war against weapons of mass destruction.

All thanks to utorrent for their kind contributions to my library.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #772 on: August 05, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »
Now started a 'cleansing' after Nip/Tuck and have gone onto "Yes Minister".  Also asked a student to download Fawlty Towers for me.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #773 on: August 05, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »
 I agree. My ex was big into Nip and Tuck, and while I "got" it, I still found it unwatchable trash. This is coming for a closet fan of Dallas and Beverly Hills 90210 aoaoaoaoao

« Reply #774 on: August 07, 2008, 03:28:22 AM »
The only medical show I have ever been able to stomach is "House". Mostly because I grew up with a Dad who, whenever I watched a doctor show, would scoff derisively and shout things like "You would get so sued if you did that!", "Yeah, lots of loose flowing hair during open heart surgery! Is the woman stupid?" and such like comments.

Speaking of doctors. Has anyone in China come across Dr. Who DVD's? Not just the recent revitalized series with Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant (which rules BTW! David Tennant kicks Eccleston's ass as The Doctor!) but the old one too. If you come across them, would you please tell me. I fear I may have become a Dr. Who addict.

« Reply #775 on: August 07, 2008, 03:32:25 AM »
In Singapore, a documentary called "Mad about English" has just come out in the cinemas/movie theatres. It's about how Chinese people want to learn English. Could be of interest to us.

I'm going to see it on Friday. Will report back.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #776 on: August 07, 2008, 03:42:24 AM »
Eric, all the Dr. Who versions are easy to download. The Dr. Who nuts everywhere keep torrents going and going.

AMonk

« Reply #777 on: August 07, 2008, 03:49:49 AM »
Now started a 'cleansing' after Nip/Tuck and have gone onto "Yes Minister".  Also asked a student to download Fawlty Towers for me.

Don't forget to look for "Yes, Prime Minister" as well.....and then there's "'Allo, 'Allo" and "Are You Being Served?"
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #778 on: August 07, 2008, 04:46:56 AM »
Eric, all the Dr. Who versions are easy to download. The Dr. Who nuts everywhere keep torrents going and going.

Wonderful. But what's a torrent, how do I get it and where?

« Reply #779 on: August 10, 2008, 10:21:06 PM »
Nip/Tuck is my favourite show on TV.  No, not the best, but enormous, yucky fun.  And they manage to say some ugly, accurate things about human nature.

Over the top?  Definitely, but that itself is a comment on the hyped culture of Florida's/L.A.'s scene.I just finished season 5, and I'm jonesing already.

Watched Frida last night.  Definitely worth the effort.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com