Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #750 on: July 22, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »
Loved Juno.  And Nip/Tuck is a brilliant, over-the-top portrayal of Florida's over-the-top society.

Watched Darjeeling Limited: I enjoyed it immensely, even though it wasn't fast-paced, had little action and no nudity.  Curious to know what other people think.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #751 on: July 22, 2008, 09:12:50 PM »
I loved the Darjeeling Limited. A deep, well-made, interesting and quite funny movie. Thoroughly enjoyable.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Schnerby

« Reply #752 on: July 22, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »
I just polished off a review of the new Colin Farrell film 'In Bruges'. It's not out in Oz 'til August but not sure about the rest of the planet.  It's a dark, violent film but it really is well worth a watch.

Some of the jokes made (aimed at fat Americans, midgets, black people...) are super offensive and immature (but wickedly, guiltly funny) but when taken in context really just show us that one of the characters is very insecure. I'm absolutley not for racism, but this time it does fit in the context.

« Reply #753 on: July 22, 2008, 10:51:08 PM »
I liked Juno too.

Should be receiving my PC in a matter of days.  agagagagag
It is too early to say.

« Reply #754 on: July 23, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »
Saw Up The Yangtze, a documentary. More info on www.uptheyangtze.com. I found it interesting to view this story,on some aspects of the Three Gorges Dam,from the perspective of a people whom most westerners never meet. We saw the old farmers evicted from their land and young folk in servitude to Western tourists. As most of you can imagine, the scenery was magnicifent.

« Reply #755 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:33 PM »
I've got a new passion for a subset of reality TV: professional competition shows.  I guess it started with Engineer Wars, wherein 2 teams of 'geers would build rival gizmos (e.g. vehicles to knock down walls) and compete head to head.  Next was America's Top Model, for which I have Babala to blame; these young girls compete for a modelling prize.  The latter is a car wreck you can't stop watching- everybody involved in this show is surely going to Hell.

Now Lolochan has got me into America's Runway... forgot the exact name.  Fashion designers get handed strange challenges, and spend a feverish day trying to draw up and finish a set of clothing under vicious circumstances.  I don't give 2 wanks about fashion, but this show takes you right there, and shows you the difference between great, merely good, mediocre and downright  bqbqbqbqbq .

To live other careers vicariously: I'm a fan.  Next I think I'll start watching Iron Chef.  I may learn something.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #756 on: July 23, 2008, 07:59:07 PM »
Going to watch "The Dark Knight" tonight. How did that old show go??....nanananananana Batman!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #757 on: July 24, 2008, 12:20:06 AM »
Saw the "Dark Knight" last weekend with my folks. We thought it was a good film, with interesting action movie bits, but it dragged on for too long. The film is about 3 hours long.

« Reply #758 on: July 25, 2008, 12:57:11 AM »
I thought Batman rocked. Heath Ledger is just amazing as the Joker. He steals the movie completely. Batman is also way cool this time around. Not all this Batrang throwing gadget crap, just a lot of mean vigilante punching and doling out much needed pain to criminals. And the make-up for Two-Face...absolutely brilliant.

« Reply #759 on: July 25, 2008, 04:12:53 AM »
I can't wait to see it.  Am hoping to get to the cinema some time this weekend.
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #760 on: July 25, 2008, 05:25:58 AM »
I LOVED the Iron Chef.  Where are you downloading it from??

AMonk

« Reply #761 on: July 26, 2008, 08:56:32 AM »
I LOVED the Iron Chef.

Is that the original (Japanese) version?  Or the newer (USA) version?
Moderation....in most things...

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #762 on: July 26, 2008, 07:35:36 PM »
 Watched The Incredible Hulk last night. I'm confused. Wasn't there A hulk movie directed by Ang Lee a few years ago? Not often you see a remake 5 years after the original. I thought the original was actually pretty decent, but he new one was definitely better. The big CGI duke out at the end was pure gold.

What is it with William Hurt turning up in comic book movies completely unrecognizeable? Saw Iron Man  bqbqbqbqbq a few nights ago and it took me half an hour to place him.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #763 on: July 28, 2008, 04:31:14 PM »
Original Japanese version. They have a US version??

Watched Dark Matter with Meryl Streep while I was away. Liu Ye did a good job, and Streep was good, although I felt the part could have been stronger.

AMonk

« Reply #764 on: July 28, 2008, 05:48:53 PM »
Original Japanese version. They have a US version??

Yep.  Morimoto moved over to the US after Iron Chef (Japan) ended its run, and is now one of the mainstays of the US version.  Bobby Flay, Cat Cora, Mario Batali are the others who "battle it out" under the watchful eye of The Chairman's Nephew.  With commentary by Alton Brown.

IMHO not quite up to the original standards, but still well worth watching.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:46:41 AM by AMonk »
Moderation....in most things...