Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #735 on: July 14, 2008, 07:10:25 AM »
I was supposed to be doing homework, but I got captivated by movies! Akeelah and the Bee and Freedom Writers are great films, and I am so glad I watched them.

« Reply #736 on: July 14, 2008, 07:44:54 AM »
If you like HBO check out The Wire  (don't start watching if you have to work the next day)

Better IMHO than Sopranos..

Dark Knight starts here (Canada) midnite Thursday. Will also be available IMAX. Looking forward to it Jesus there has been rubbish out lately.

Anyone seen Mongol? 1st of a trilogy on Genghis Khan...

« Reply #737 on: July 14, 2008, 03:10:40 PM »
Watched Sex and the City movie. Loved it.  agagagagag

« Reply #738 on: July 14, 2008, 07:57:06 PM »
Clint Smoker, I saw Mongol last month and really enjoyed it. It paints a multidimensional portrait of the future conqueror,revealing him not as the evil brute of sterotype,but as an inspiring,fearless and visionary leader. It shows us the making of an extraordinary man - both loyal and deeply spiritual - and the foundation on which so much of his greatness rested:his relationship with his wife,Borte,his lifelong love and most trusted advisor and his adored mother. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #739 on: July 15, 2008, 11:49:51 PM »
Bought a copy of "Run, Fatboy, Run"...Simon Pegg and Dylan Moran. Tonight is definitely a night of laughter.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #740 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:47 AM »
Going to watch Airplane tonight. Supposed to be a funny comedy.

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #741 on: July 16, 2008, 07:07:21 PM »
wanted is a great movie! the twist is really unpredicatble! and of course, morgan freeman always gives "quotes" that are really worth remembering..
 bfbfbfbfbf
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

« Reply #742 on: July 16, 2008, 11:10:45 PM »
Watched Darjeeling Limited.  Really enjoyed it.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Schnerby

« Reply #743 on: July 16, 2008, 11:13:02 PM »
Bought a copy of "Run, Fatboy, Run"...Simon Pegg and Dylan Moran. Tonight is definitely a night of laughter.

Please review!
I laughed myself stupid watching Shaun of the Dead and I was thinking of getting this one out from the shop soon.

« Reply #744 on: July 16, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »
It was funny. Not as funny as "Shaun of the Dead" or "Hot Fuzz". It did become almost maudlin at times but I recommend it anyway.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #745 on: July 17, 2008, 10:51:47 AM »
Took my mate DVD shopping today and ended up buying a pile myself (having a discount card for the dodgy DVD shops still makes me laugh!). Bought Speed Racer because a mate was in it, Sex and the city movie, Juno, Wild China and Planet Earth (I like docos), Cina Chung Kuo (the doco Jiang Qing - Madame Mao commissioned), Corpse Bride, 2 Studio Ghibli animations, season 5 of Nip/Tuck, Children of the HuangShi, Step up 2, Ratatouille and Belly Dance Underworld (tribal-fusion, Experimental and Gothic bellydancing!).

But, I haven't watched any of them because I started my mate on the Firefly series and we need to finish it before he heads back to Germany.  This is the 2nd time within 3 weeks i will have watched this series because I did the same thing with my mate from Shanghai when he came over.  Firefly is GOOD!!  It's really sad that there was only one season, plus the movie.

dasein

• Great Job!
« Reply #746 on: July 17, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »
Just watched The Love Guru. Ugh. You know what's funnier than this piece of garbage? EVERYTHING. (At least I only downloaded it and didn't pay to see it. Though I feel like I did pay with those ninety minutes which I'll never get back.)

« Reply #747 on: July 18, 2008, 12:45:02 AM »
It was funny. Not as funny as "Shaun of the Dead" or "Hot Fuzz". It did become almost maudlin at times but I recommend it anyway.

It wasn't actually a Pegg project though, was it...
It is too early to say.

« Reply #748 on: July 18, 2008, 12:54:18 AM »
No, it wasn't. It was a David Schwimmer project. I think it could have been a great movie if it had been left in the hands of people who get British comedy.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #749 on: July 21, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »
Juno - well done and interesting.  I'd like to show it to one of my classes next semester to see how they like it.

War photographer.  A doco about Jim Nachtwey, the award winning war/poverty/pollution photographer.  It was inspiring.

Also watched the last 4 Harry Potters - nice light watching before I have to start really solid Chinese study, class preparation.  ahahahahah

About to start season 4 of House.