Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #540 on: February 09, 2008, 01:31:50 PM »
Watched "National Treasure: Book of Secrets"...what a stinking pile of  bqbqbqbqbq It was so bad I think Nicholas Cage should step forward and give the world a sincere apology. First he made "Ghost Rider" and now this!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

AMonk

« Reply #541 on: February 09, 2008, 07:20:45 PM »
My son is in the middle of the Dexter (TV series) films and loving them!!  I have just finished and passed along the 3 books that started this.  Second season is advertised as ready to begin this month, so there should be more films in the pipeline by next year.
Moderation....in most things...

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #542 on: February 09, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »
My son mentioned Dexter too, guess I will check it out.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

AMonk

« Reply #543 on: February 09, 2008, 07:43:15 PM »
I have to borrow the films...but I really did enjoy the books!  Just warped enough to suit my taste, and skillfully done, IMHO
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #544 on: February 09, 2008, 08:42:14 PM »
I just watched the first series of Dexter after a recommendation by someone here in this forum. Very good indeed. The site I mentioned a few posts previously has series two, but I am going to wait for the dvd shops to have it as I like to watch them continuously. Another series I enjoyed was Californication, starring David Duchovny , well worth a look.

Also, for those of you who aren't sick of cop shows, there's one called 'The Wire' which is kind of good. I haven't seen it on dvd, only as a torrent. Worth a gander. 

« Reply #545 on: February 09, 2008, 09:10:12 PM »
There Will Be Blood - great film, little slow and not so much dialogue but great none-the-less.

The Rookie - Clint Eastwood and Charlie Sheen blast from the past, great cop buddy flick, 80s cheese all the way!

Sunshine - great hard sci-fi flick with Michelle Yeoh and Hiroyuki Sanada in the cast, it goes a little metaphysical and "Buddhisty" at the end but the first 3/4 is great.

And I've still got this big stack of DVDs to catch up on! 
The things we touch have no permanence.

« Reply #546 on: February 11, 2008, 08:02:12 AM »
Elizabeth, the Golden Age was interesting but that's likely due to the fact that it's the only Elizabeth movie I've seen. 

Watched it yesterday.  Quite enjoyed it.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #547 on: February 11, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »
Watched Bucket List, which wasn't bad.
It is too early to say.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #548 on: February 11, 2008, 05:09:00 PM »
Bucket List was ok but they probably could have done so much more considering the caliber of both actors, ole Jack is showing his age.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

« Reply #549 on: February 11, 2008, 09:14:59 PM »
I agree, it felt like they were both coasting a bit...
It is too early to say.

« Reply #550 on: February 11, 2008, 10:42:47 PM »
Just watched This is England, after somebody here recommended it. ( possibly CD ) A good movie, i enjoyed it, it never really went where i thought it was going to. Not sure it would be everyones cup a tea but worth a look.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #551 on: February 12, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
Just watched This is England, after somebody here recommended it. ( possibly CD ) A good movie, i enjoyed it, it never really went where i thought it was going to. Not sure it would be everyones cup a tea but worth a look.

Yeah that was me.  You're British aren't you?  I'd like some more colonials' opinions on this one...
It is too early to say.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #552 on: February 12, 2008, 05:31:19 PM »
Elizabeth, the Golden Age was interesting but that's likely due to the fact that it's the only Elizabeth movie I've seen. 

Watched it yesterday.  Quite enjoyed it.

The definitive "Elizabeth" work is Black Adder II. Working my way through it now.  bfbfbfbfbf Black Adder is easily the best of Rowan Atkinson's series.

« Reply #553 on: February 14, 2008, 02:57:22 AM »
You're British aren't you?

Yeah, i'm English. I enjoyed 'this is england' and found it a really gripping movie, i was a teenager in the 80's so could relate to it a lot. I've recommended it to other brits, but i don't think non-brits would really enjoy it, except for maybe Australians.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #554 on: February 14, 2008, 06:21:14 AM »
The definitive "Elizabeth" work is Black Adder II. Working my way through it now.  bfbfbfbfbf Black Adder is easily the best of Rowan Atkinson's series.

And the most quotable.

You're in love with Jane Hathaway?
Yes, that's the girl.
Jane "Bury Me in a Y-Shaped Coffin" Hathaway?

To you, Baldric, the Renaissance was simply something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

God, I love nurses!  They're so disgustingly clinical.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com