Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #405 on: December 22, 2007, 05:36:44 PM »
FD, I second that. Ever seen Black Books? Probably one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.

I LOVE Black Books! They aren't showing it on the Beeb right now, though, which is a little disappointing.

Gotta chime in on Firefly. That show was AWESOME, and I am furious that it's off the air. I don't watch much American television because it does tend toward stock characters and the same old drama week after week. Give me a good ole Britcom, drama or sci-fi any day.

I dunno though. I think US TV is in a bit of a golden age, or has been for the past ooh five years.  CSI, Lost, Heroes, Deadwood, Firefly, Sopranos, 24 (mind you I'm not keen on Sopranos personally, and haven't got round to watching 24, but everyone goes on about them).  Meanwhile the UK hasn't produced much of note in recent years.  Spooks is about the best drama I can think of and even that wasn't as good as say Heroes.  And what's happened to the good old tradition of good UK comedy?  The only thing of note since 'Spaced' was 15 Storeys High, and hardly anyone's heard of that.  Little Britain was awful...

I think the main problem with the US telly though is that as I said before, the good stuff gets cancelled (deadwood also)

Did you get a chance to see a show called Afterlife? That was a good one for folks who enjoy paranormal. It's more recent. Half the shows you mentioned I haven't seen. I don't watch much telly. When I do, it's good old Britcoms -- Fawlty Towers, KUA, Are You Being Served, and such. I would never win a pop culture game show. My friends tease me mercifully about my disconnect from the current world. ahahahahah You're right, the good stuff does get cancelled. Very frustrating!

« Reply #406 on: December 22, 2007, 06:11:39 PM »
I haven't seen Firefly but I thought the movie really sucked. Could be because I'm not familiar with the series, but nothing about the movie made me want to get familiar with it.

Nah, you have to watch the program first.  It's much better than the film and the film would make no sense by itself.
It is too early to say.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #407 on: December 23, 2007, 04:55:31 AM »
Firefly was really hurt by the network that showed it in the States (Fox i think) It was shown out of order starting with the third episode and also moved nights and time slots as well as not being on every week. It never had a chance.

30 days of Night is... well... ok i guess. Strange movie. Decent enough first act, third act ok but basically no second act. Good vampires.

I've been watching a show called Brotherhood from Showcase about polititians and gangsters in Providence, Rhode Island. Pretty good.

Check out Dexter if you can. The serial killer who targets only other serial killers.

has anybody seen Eureka?

« Reply #408 on: December 23, 2007, 03:00:07 PM »
Last night I watched Eastern Promises, which was reasonable.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #409 on: December 23, 2007, 07:17:34 PM »
I haven't seen Firefly but I thought the movie really sucked. Could be because I'm not familiar with the series, but nothing about the movie made me want to get familiar with it.

Nah, you have to watch the program first.  It's much better than the film and the film would make no sense by itself.

What Contemporarydog said! There's no way I would have enjoyed the movie if I hadn't seen the show. Honestly, I watch so little American television, I wouldn't have watched the show if my neighbor hadn't forced me. I am so glad she did.

I heartily agree with Stil on Dexter, too. AMAZING show, well written, brilliant acting.

AMonk

« Reply #410 on: December 23, 2007, 10:55:48 PM »
.....has anybody seen Eureka?

Yes.  The premise is interesting, and the opening shows are quite good.  However, the later ones do get a bit more predictable and humdrum.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #411 on: December 24, 2007, 08:11:53 AM »
Watched Nanking tonight.  That is the most upset I've been from watching a show in years- I'd actually not recommend it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 08:57:50 PM by Con ate dog »
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #412 on: December 24, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »
I'm about halfway through Heroes and am finding it OK - but not yet brilliant.  Wondering if it will get there. But right now I have loaned it to students, so will revert to finishing X-files, now that I have finished Firefly. And I'm half-way through Buffy, so that is on my list to finish as well.

Acjade

« Reply #413 on: December 24, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »
Nope. Heroes was a big disappointment. asasasasas

« Reply #414 on: December 24, 2007, 08:01:34 PM »
If you all get a chance, I don't know what you've heard about The 4400, but I thought the first season was amazing, second sortof usual (I find most second seasons aren't that good) but gets better in the third and fourth season. 

Invasion is also quite remarkable. 

Am I the only person in the world who found Hero's ok but was let down due to all the hype?

Ah, see, I thought Heroes was vastly superior to 4400.  Also, while the first two series of 4400 were reasonable, to my mind it turned into a bit of a joke for series 3.  Haven't seen 4 yet.
It is too early to say.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #415 on: December 27, 2007, 12:14:14 AM »
I liked 'I Am Legend' quite a bit. I've not read the book so can't compare them but it's a hell of a lot better than 'The Omega Man'. Big Willy is very good in this and Sam is fantastic.

AMonk

« Reply #416 on: December 27, 2007, 12:18:41 AM »
Hubby and I are in the middle of a Police Academy revival, thanks to his Christmas presents.  I'd forgotten how silly-funny they can be.  Just the thing when you're in the mood for some light entertainment  agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #417 on: December 27, 2007, 12:49:34 AM »
I liked 'I Am Legend' quite a bit. I've not read the book so can't compare them but it's a hell of a lot better than 'The Omega Man'. Big Willy is very good in this and Sam is fantastic.

Have not seen it yet but have read the book. I am not sure why they had to change the stoy so much. The book is quite gripping and well-written and devoid of large explosions. Plus, the part about the dog in the book is much more intense and powerful than the dogs part in the movie, from what I can tell having watched the trailers. I'll go watch it tonight.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #418 on: December 30, 2007, 08:26:24 AM »
I watched I Am Legend.  Good, but not a patch on 28 Days Later.

Will Smith was excellent though.

Also watched Bridge to Terabithia which was rather different to what I expected,almost an emerican school version of Pan's Labyrinth
It is too early to say.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #419 on: December 30, 2007, 01:49:45 PM »
3:10 to Yuma with Russell Crowe, if you're into dusters, this one is worth watching.
I am still learning. Michelangelo