Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #390 on: December 22, 2007, 03:39:02 AM »
Criminally, he never got to do another one.

Why is it that in the US, a lot of really shit serieses go on and on and on and on (Friends, anyone) while good stuff gets cancelled?

For the same reason that Montell, dr.Phil, and Ellen Degeneres has viewers. Most, not all, but most of the shows that continue season after season are based on a simple formula, riddled with stock characters, easily lampooned stereotypes and it all has to be kept at a really neutral level so as not to offend a very sensitive audience. Stock phrases, an audience who is told to laugh at the right places, basically mindnumbing entertainment that requires little or no thought to follow.

Whedon tried to be new, innovative, original and creative. Not that I am an Ameriphobe but I would argue that if Firefly had been produced in Europe and had had a mainly European audince base, it would still be on the air. It is a bit of a weird show and, though I fully agree that there are lots of Americans who like the odd and weird, for a show to survive in America it has to beat a lot of competition and people, more often than not, prefer what is familiar and recognizable.

Just aquired "Twin Peaks" the whole show. This weekend is definitely going to be good!
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Mr Nobody

• This isn't Kansas, Toto.
« Reply #391 on: December 22, 2007, 04:56:14 AM »
As someone who at the moment has drunk more than he should, I should basically shut up and let it go.

But what's the point of being drunk if you can't be an idiot?

Fukm. Joss was trying to do something new. He was trying with Buffy, but yeah, buffy. What can you say. The movie says it more than the series, and we all have to eat. But firefly et al was his um latin word, thingy,  have forgotten. Opus Magnus? something.

I haven't watched twin peaks so I have no idea. thought it was crap.
Just another roadkill on the information superhighway.

« Reply #392 on: December 22, 2007, 05:01:35 AM »
I don't buy that about Firefly being weird or euro in style.  For me, it recaptures a lot of what made the original Star Wars films so good.  The grungy sense of 'seedy underbelly of space'.  It's essentially what George Lucas's old trilogy would have been like if they'd ditched the aliens and the force and focussed it on Han Solo instead of Luke.  I don't see what's at all un-American about it, and that's why I find it so baffling that it never carried on.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #393 on: December 22, 2007, 05:09:11 AM »
I went to see Blade Runner yeasterday. Subtitled THIS IS THE FINAL UNSEEN DIRECTOR'S MILK THIS FOR CASH WE PROMISE CUT. Except for the 5 DVD set which has YET another version. Joking a bit BR is a classic---I forgot how Asian it all looked---most of the signs are Chinese. And of couse it vaguely looks like Shanghai. It was also cool to tell people I went to a movie and they say "what did you go to?"  Err...Blade Runner.

The best new film I have seen lately is No Country....  If the Oscars have any taste (which they dont) this will sweep all.

« Reply #394 on: December 22, 2007, 05:16:58 AM »
Oh yeah, I've heard very good things about No Country... but I can't find a proper torrent of it.  llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll asasasasas asasasasas asasasasas
It is too early to say.

« Reply #395 on: December 22, 2007, 05:19:46 AM »
I don't buy that about Firefly being weird or euro in style.  For me, it recaptures a lot of what made the original Star Wars films so good.  The grungy sense of 'seedy underbelly of space'.  It's essentially what George Lucas's old trilogy would have been like if they'd ditched the aliens and the force and focussed it on Han Solo instead of Luke.  I don't see what's at all un-American about it, and that's why I find it so baffling that it never carried on.
I did not mean to say that it was particularly European in style, but it was hugely popular here and in a lot of other European countries. I think the style confused a lot of viewers. The SW analogy is on the money, but SW has the advantage that it takes place "in a galaxy far, far away". Firefly starts in media res, there are loads of sub-plots, mysterious characters, Shepherd Book for instance, and I do think that Whedon might have benefitted from a bit more structure. SW starts in media res too, I know. I am baffled too. It was perfect blend of western, drama, humor, with a touch of noir. This gets cancelled and "The Bold and the Beautiful" is well into the 1 millionth episode...go figure llllllllll
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #396 on: December 22, 2007, 05:36:28 AM »
It works for me because the humour is relatively subtle, it has good roles for women, Mal is not one dimensional. Plus I like the music.  Plots are OK, but definitely carried by the acting.

AMonk

« Reply #397 on: December 22, 2007, 06:08:01 AM »
Presently have "Santa Claus:3" on the DVD/TV.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #398 on: December 22, 2007, 06:13:45 AM »
I did not mean to say that it was particularly European in style, but it was hugely popular here and in a lot of other European countries. I think the style confused a lot of viewers. The SW analogy is on the money, but SW has the advantage that it takes place "in a galaxy far, far away". Firefly starts in media res, there are loads of sub-plots, mysterious characters, Shepherd Book for instance, and I do think that Whedon might have benefitted from a bit more structure. SW starts in media res too, I know. I am baffled too. It was perfect blend of western, drama, humor, with a touch of noir. This gets cancelled and "The Bold and the Beautiful" is well into the 1 millionth episode...go figure llllllllll

Perhaps.

I showed the first (pilot ) episode to one friend who I thought would like it and he made me switch it off after 20 minutes cos he thought it was crap.  asasasasas some people just have no taste.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #399 on: December 22, 2007, 06:14:38 AM »
It works for me because the humour is relatively subtle, it has good roles for women, Mal is not one dimensional. Plus I like the music.  Plots are OK, but definitely carried by the acting.

Agreed, and Ilana is top thinking man's totty.  agagagagag
It is too early to say.

« Reply #400 on: December 22, 2007, 08:39:43 AM »
Gotta chime in on Firefly. That show was AWESOME, and I am furious that it's off the air. I don't watch much American television because it does tend toward stock characters and the same old drama week after week. Give me a good ole Britcom, drama or sci-fi any day.

« Reply #401 on: December 22, 2007, 09:42:34 AM »
FD, I second that. Ever seen Black Books? Probably one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #402 on: December 22, 2007, 03:13:13 PM »
Black Books is really good. That one I'd love to get a copy of as well.

« Reply #403 on: December 22, 2007, 03:57:42 PM »
Gotta chime in on Firefly. That show was AWESOME, and I am furious that it's off the air. I don't watch much American television because it does tend toward stock characters and the same old drama week after week. Give me a good ole Britcom, drama or sci-fi any day.

I dunno though. I think US TV is in a bit of a golden age, or has been for the past ooh five years.  CSI, Lost, Heroes, Deadwood, Firefly, Sopranos, 24 (mind you I'm not keen on Sopranos personally, and haven't got round to watching 24, but everyone goes on about them).  Meanwhile the UK hasn't produced much of note in recent years.  Spooks is about the best drama I can think of and even that wasn't as good as say Heroes.  And what's happened to the good old tradition of good UK comedy?  The only thing of note since 'Spaced' was 15 Storeys High, and hardly anyone's heard of that.  Little Britain was awful...

I think the main problem with the US telly though is that as I said before, the good stuff gets cancelled (deadwood also)
It is too early to say.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #404 on: December 22, 2007, 05:25:32 PM »
 I haven't seen Firefly but I thought the movie really sucked. Could be because I'm not familiar with the series, but nothing about the movie made me want to get familiar with it.

Half way through Six Feet Under right now. I have to slow down because I I want to savor every episode.

Movie I most want to see right now..."Cannibal-the Musical". It's a great B movie from the creators of South Park. A musical comedy about the Donner Party. Songs include "Schpadoinkle", "We Can Build a Snowman" and "When I'm on Top of You". The latter is a love song to a horse.