Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1890 on: January 04, 2015, 03:57:08 PM »
My mother saw that recently. She said she enjoyed it very much, it has a little bit of everything. Also, the air conditioning in the cinema was a relief on a hot day. Mum is a practical cinema-goer.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1891 on: January 07, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
PK (2014)

Indian comedy-drama. A (luckily) humanoid alien arrives on Earth for a research mission and within minutes has had his communication device stolen. Enough people refer to God when telling him they can do nothing that he goes in search of these missing and mysterious gods hoping they will help him get home. Then he meets a reporter in search of new news. The style of adventures they have owe a lot to Mister Bean and Charlie Chaplin, and even if the movie requires some not very well realized attractions between people, it's still pretty fun.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf aiaiaiaiai
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:54:26 PM by Calach Pfeffer »

« Reply #1892 on: January 07, 2015, 06:21:49 PM »
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies: The first book I ever read in English was "The Hobbit". I loved it. However, I found that turning the one novel into three full-length movies was a bit much. The third instalment is splendid when it comes to visual effects, cinematography and coreographed battle sequences. It just seemed to me that parts of the second movie could easily have been latched onto the first movie and the entiire third movie could have been latched onto the second movie. It was a good movie though. Thoroughly enjoyable. Leaves one wondering what the result of a dwarf/elf romance would look like, why armour seems to serve no purpose in Middle Earth, why it is a that elves can hear twig snap four miles away in a forest but can't hear a crashing big dwarf army approach until their blow their trumpets and how exactly did the huge dwarf army arrive so quickly when it took forever for the intrepid heroes to find Erebor? Why would you breed giant bats, WHO are blind and nocturnal and then send them into battle during the day time? Is a moose really a better animal for riding into battle than a war-horse? Thorin gives Bilbo a mithril shirt and tells him "no blade can pierce it"..well...then....why don't he Wear one so...you know...he can't get stabbed? There are two great toadies in the movies...Grima Wormtongue and Alfred Lickspittle...which is the best toady name? I think Lickspittle.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

A-Train

« Reply #1893 on: January 08, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »
People paid 15 million dollars online to watch that piece of crap?... Idiots!  ahahahahah

My son's girlfriend, (a Korean), was beside herself in anticipation for this, so we went to an L.A. art house theater.  The police were in high profile before and after the showing.  They should have arrested Seth Rogan et al for stealing our time.  Surpassed my expectations for pablum. You could be justified for actually feeling sorry for Kim for being associated with this movie. The real vandals of free expression is SONY for lowering our standards and releasing this turd.

I'm pretty sure some people actually believed they were standing up for freedom by going to this "movie".  I was much more afraid of the L.A.P.D. than of the D.P.R.K.

BTW: I understand that James Franco will be directing Faulkner's "The Sound And The Fury".
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1894 on: January 08, 2015, 01:32:14 PM »
"THE IMITATION GAME" As most of you will know, this is the story of how the Nazi Enigma code was broken during World War 11. I found it quite interesting, given that it led to the development of computers, if I understood it correctly. I think that Benedict Cumberbatch played his part well. I look forward to hearing what you folks think.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1895 on: January 08, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »
Is a moose really a better animal for riding into battle than a war-horse?

A moose seems like an obvious choice, unless there's a giant armadillo available. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1896 on: January 09, 2015, 04:56:10 AM »
Watched "Birdman" today. Fantastic movie. After watching it, you can't help but wishing one of the prizes Michael Keaton will win for this is permission to, if and whenever he encounters them, punch Seth Rogen and James Franco in the nose and yell "BAD ACTOR! BAAAAAD ACTOR! FOR SHAME" for perpetuity.

Tomorrow: The Imitation Game and Unbroken. Saturday, Into the Woods....I do so love this waiting for my last exam period, I cannot recall the last time I was so relaxed.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1897 on: January 09, 2015, 07:12:34 AM »
Just finished watching "The Imitation Game " and my ghast is flabbered.Sooo brilliant I really hope he gets an Oscar.It was just perfect.And no I don't care if it was 100% Historically accurate or not,although according to Wikipedia it was pretty damn close.God Bless the Queen.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

A-Train

« Reply #1898 on: January 13, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »
Watched "Birdman" today. Fantastic movie.

I also liked it a lot. A great ride.  The critics have mostly panned it.  Glad I'm not one.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1899 on: January 13, 2015, 04:01:26 PM »
Just finished watching "The Imitation Game " and my ghast is flabbered.Sooo brilliant I really hope he gets an Oscar.It was just perfect.And no I don't care if it was 100% Historically accurate or not,although according to Wikipedia it was pretty damn close.God Bless the Queen.

Haven't seen it yet.  Does it explain why Turing made his test so hard.  I keep failing it. llllllllll
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1900 on: January 15, 2015, 01:38:13 PM »
"INTO THE WOODS" was the movie I saw yesterday and I really can't decide about it. What did you think ETR? There were several older guys at the movie and I noticed that some were jiggling their feet in time to the music. To be perfectly honest, I thought that it (the story) would be a bit boring for a bloke even though the cinematography was great.

« Reply #1901 on: January 23, 2015, 12:57:24 PM »
"UNBROKEN" This film was directed by Angelina Jolie and shot in Australia as most of you will have heard. Most of the reviews are not great. One verdict was that it was "A stirring tale of survival that's oddly lacking in depth or insight." To my way of thinking, there was a lot to like about the movie. I must confess to constantly saying "Lest we forget!" I would have liked more insight into what made these men tick, particularly the Japanese Commandant. What did you folk think of it?

« Reply #1902 on: January 23, 2015, 03:22:21 PM »
American Sniper (2014)

Kind of odd as a movie. Chris Kyle joins the Navy relatively late in life, becomes a SEAL sniper, goes to Iraq four times, is hyper-alert when he's not there, then kills his enemy and gets to come home. There's kind of no story here and little in the way of tension on the screen. Things blow up, people get shot, that's kind of it. For those of us not born red, white, and blue nor overly hard for the warrior elite, the film is kind of flat.

« Reply #1903 on: January 24, 2015, 03:02:21 PM »
Selma (2014)

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

AMonk

« Reply #1904 on: January 24, 2015, 11:14:58 PM »
Note - Chris Kyle and a friend were shot dead on a practice range on 2 February, 2013.  The guy who shot him is suffering from PTSD, and Kyle and his neighbor were trying to help the man.
Moderation....in most things...