Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1755 on: March 27, 2014, 04:13:14 AM »
Yes, it's based on the graphic novels which I've never read.

I downloaded it from Kickass Torrents here. A big file but very good quality.

« Reply #1756 on: March 28, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »
Ram Leela (or Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela)

An Indian Romeo and Juliet, very colourful with much singing and dancing, rendered slightly odd by how insincere the first third of the relationship appears. This is possibly an actor chemistry issue, but these supposed lovers just look like adventurous twits aggressively in search of a comeuppance. Which generates a peculiar subtext of danger to women, as if everyone in the movie, director included, hates them. Possibly this was intended. The story takes a belated turn for darker in the last third and possibly should have got that started a bit sooner because it almost addresses that aspect.

Howevaire, not bad.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1757 on: March 29, 2014, 06:40:40 PM »
Re-watching The Sopranos, still brilliant

Breaking Bad got so many plaudits, and it was entertaining, but imo it didn't come anywhere near Sopranos or The Wire, all of the principals in those shows are fascinating characters, Season 1 and 2 especially where it's purely character driven and there isn't really anything stopping the main characters except their own and each other's weaknesses are amazing. I haven't seen the later ones properly because I tuned out at the time due to a combination of my life and how dark it was becoming. I know they all die, same as when it was on TV I don't really want to see their world deteriorate but I will this time

« Reply #1758 on: March 31, 2014, 04:30:09 PM »
I would like to state exactly what I thought of "I, Frankenstein" but I fear the amount of vitriolic invective that would be used to fully make my opinion of this movie crystal clear might result in the server hosting the Saloon burn. So I will simply say that, should there ever be a massive zombie uprising and Mary Shelley coming back as a flesh-eating corpse, it would not only be justifiable but mandatory to feed every person involved with that movie to her. It was worse than "Van Helsing", "The Wolfman" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" combined... llllllllll llllllllll Basically a huge pile of  bqbqbqbqbq with an excessively poor plot and the kind of CGI that would make the horrendous CGI found in travesties like "Once Upon A Time in Wonderland" look like ingenious artful masterpieces. To put it bluntly, should anyone ever have to decide between engaging in the somewhat odd leisure time activity of counting turds, dog and human, in the nearby park or watch the aforementioned movie, the former choice would, by far, be more entertaining.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1759 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:21 PM »
I would like to state exactly what I thought of "I, Frankenstein" but I fear the amount of vitriolic invective that would be used to fully make my opinion of this movie crystal clear might result in the server hosting the Saloon burn. So I will simply say that, should there ever be a massive zombie uprising and Mary Shelley coming back as a flesh-eating corpse, it would not only be justifiable but mandatory to feed every person involved with that movie to her. It was worse than "Van Helsing", "The Wolfman" and "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" combined... llllllllll llllllllll Basically a huge pile of  bqbqbqbqbq with an excessively poor plot and the kind of CGI that would make the horrendous CGI found in travesties like "Once Upon A Time in Wonderland" look like ingenious artful masterpieces. To put it bluntly, should anyone ever have to decide between engaging in the somewhat odd leisure time activity of counting turds, dog and human, in the nearby park or watch the aforementioned movie, the former choice would, by far, be more entertaining.

They've never really cracked Frankenstein as a film imo. The De Niro one was ok but a bit silly, the old ones are all kitschy, modern versions have all been awful. I remember really liking the book as a teenager but I've never seen a film with the sort of sadness the book implied about the monster

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1760 on: April 01, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »

They've never really cracked Frankenstein as a film imo. The De Niro one was ok but a bit silly, the old ones are all kitschy, modern versions have all been awful. I remember really liking the book as a teenager but I've never seen a film with the sort of sadness the book implied about the monster

This one got it.

« Reply #1761 on: April 05, 2014, 01:34:33 PM »
"Noah" starring Russell Crowe and Emma Watson did not do much for me.  The word God was left out and the less incendiary word Creator was used. We are really left in the dark as to whether this is meant to be the actual Bible tale. I understand that the writers have assumed that a straight retelling would alienate the non-believers.

"The Monuments Men" was based on a true story . It focuses on an unlikely World War 11 platoon, tasked with going into Germany to rescue artistic masterpieces from Nazi thieves and returning them to their rightful owners.  These seven museum directors, curators and art historians had an almost impossible task.  George Clooney, Mat Damon, Bill Murray, Cate Blanchet and John Goodman were some of the stars and George Clooney was also the Director. I didn't mind this movie. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1762 on: April 07, 2014, 02:17:53 AM »
I just finished episode 3 of "True Detective"...now that is a good show. Excellent narrative, good acting. There really should be more shows like that.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #1763 on: April 13, 2014, 01:28:58 PM »
Only Lovers Left Alive

Starts slow, contains one or two ridiculous conceits, but is wonderful. Not really a story or a drama. More like a distillation of particular experience. (As seemingly every Jarmusch film is.)

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

But this place will rise again.
Will it?
Yea. There's water here. When the cities in the south are burning, this place will bloom.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:18:51 AM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

A-Train

« Reply #1764 on: May 02, 2014, 01:34:51 AM »
I just finished episode 3 of "True Detective"...now that is a good show. Excellent narrative, good acting. There really should be more shows like that.

Wondering if you've since finished the series and, if so, did your opinion of it change?  I did watch the whole thing, but don't want to say anything to spoil something.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1765 on: May 02, 2014, 10:40:30 PM »
I watched all of it....I loved it. Not a work of staggering genius but a dashed sight more original and gripping than most of the other rubbish.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1766 on: May 02, 2014, 11:25:44 PM »
Ah the guilty pleasure of a pointless action movie loosely based on a game fondly remembered from my first childhood (I start a new one every 10 years just to keep things fresh ahahahahah).

BATTLESHIP bcbcbcbcbc

Surprisingly, it was much more watchable than expected.  Sure, it could have been better, but considering the low expectations I had, I was very pleasantly surprised.  I've seen plenty of movies done in a much more serious way end up far worse than this one.

Regarding the scene in Hong Kong, I do have to comment that watching mass destruction in a generic city is much less disturbing than watching the buildings in a familiar (and nearby) city get wrecked. aqaqaqaqaq

My thanks to the people at Hasbro for the game and the movie. agagagagag

Of course, now I want a new version of the game that will let one opponent be aliens instead of an identical opposing fleet. ababababab
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1767 on: May 17, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
3 Days to Kill - 3 days too long

Pompeii  - A real disaster

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - A stupid but fun time waster

47 Ronin - Seppuku is a better use of time

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1768 on: May 17, 2014, 07:32:33 PM »
Still Mine -beautifully acted and Genevieve Bujold is stunning at over 70
Last Vegas- silly but I like De Niro and Michael Douglas
Best Exotic Marigold Hotel- perfect
The Railway Man- True story sad and touching
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1769 on: May 18, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »
"Belle" is the true story of Dido Elizabeth Belle who was the illegitimate daughter of a Royal Navy Admiral and a negress slave.  Belle was an interesting figure in 18th Century society, being the first mixed race woman to be raised as an aristocrat. I like stories based on fact, particularly this one which leads up to the abolition of slavery in England. bfbfbfbfbf