Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1725 on: January 19, 2014, 01:32:12 AM »
The Book Thief

I watched it to avoid reading the book. Now I am not sure. The movie has a touch of the Disneys to it, but the characters and charaterisations (and the presences, particularly that of Liesel as acted by Sophie Nelisse) are sufficiently substantial that its probably worth watching. It's no Schindler's List, of course, but if every movie set in that time was austere and violent, then something something something maybe I should read the book.

The Apple mac product placement was truly gauche though. Someone should be fired.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #1726 on: January 19, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
Thanks Calach, I was interested in the male perspective. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1727 on: January 19, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »
There are one or two things to worry about in the film. Liesel and Rudi are children, of course, but they're like Aryan posterchildren. They are beautiful. And the fear they live under is present, of course, but shouldn't it have been more monstrous?

I don't know. There's a media studies wormhole one could disappear into over this movie.

A-Train

« Reply #1728 on: January 19, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »
Captain Phillips.

Tom Hanks always seems to play the same guy. This time it is with a New England accent, but he was good and I enjoyed the movie.

I liked it well enough also. But, then I saw the Danish movie "A Hijacking" which covers similar ground, (water?), but with much more realism and detail. Not that "Captain Phillips" was off the wall, but the Danish movie gets to be excruciating in its detail at times. Not to mention the frustration, vanity and anxiety. Not a picker-upper.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1729 on: January 20, 2014, 01:56:45 AM »
Her

Weird. Fun though. With a certain elegant beauty. And some of it was shot in Shanghai. Would watch again.

« Reply #1730 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »
Captain Phillips.

Tom Hanks always seems to play the same guy. This time it is with a New England accent, but he was good and I enjoyed the movie.

I liked it well enough also. But, then I saw the Danish movie "A Hijacking" which covers similar ground, (water?), but with much more realism and detail. Not that "Captain Phillips" was off the wall, but the Danish movie gets to be excruciating in its detail at times. Not to mention the frustration, vanity and anxiety. Not a picker-upper.

Yep,that is probably the best and most accurate description of Danish movies/TV shows I have read in a long time. I am not being sarcastic.  agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

fox

« Reply #1731 on: January 22, 2014, 02:50:30 AM »
august osage county.... Wow what a performance. If you enjoy family drama - this wont let you down.

Incredible performances and from non other than Meryl streep, Julia Roberts, ewan mcgregor Sam Shepard and julianne nicholson.  if you appreciate acting excellence then i think you will like this.

imbdb link.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1322269/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #1732 on: January 29, 2014, 09:04:24 PM »
The Lego Movie coming out next week.

I'm a Robot Chicken fan, so this is cool   :wtf:

/geekspeak
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1733 on: January 30, 2014, 08:33:32 AM »
Don't want to watch "Book Thief" cos I loved the book and I was afraid they might Disneyfy it.I am however trying desperately to find "Inside Llewelyn Davis" which seems rather elusive in these parts.I did watch THREE movies on the plane over (madness I know) two of which I enjoyed: The Great Gatsby and Blue Jasmine.The third even though it starred the gorgeous Jeremy Irons and was set in Lisbon was slow and dragging and should have stayed a novel.It was called Night Train to Lisbon (wasn't that a song by Madness?).
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1734 on: January 30, 2014, 01:43:33 PM »
Thought that I'd give you this older female's perspective of "The Wolf Of Wall Street". I thought that it was a bit long and caught myself yawning a couple of times.  Leonardo DiCaprio played his part very well. The folks in charge of the Theatre were interested in my view of the movie particularly since they had a few old farts walk out. My old lady Neighbour was with me and I was really interested in her reactions given the little bit I'd heard about the movie. It's taken me nearly 11yrs, but I think that she is starting to understand that there is a whole lot of life that she never knew existed. Some of you guys might appreciate the nudity as the ladies were in top condition. afafafafaf  Not much surprises me given my life experiences, but it saddens me to see humans messing up their lives with drugs, infidelity and other stupid behaviour. My swearing pales into insignificance when listening to these people speaking. I was waiting for my neighbour to ask me the meaning of some of the words. ahahahahah  Younger folk will definitely have a different view on this movie, from the majority of older folk, even though I noticed three young blokes in front of me were often laughing when I was laughing.

« Reply #1735 on: February 02, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »
Lone Survivor

Not sure about this movie, the true story of a failed kill/capture operation by US Navy SEALs in Afghanistan. On the one hand, there's what seems like a lot of realism. The trek in and particularly the fire fight seem real. On the other hand, there's elements of mawkish eulogy as well. The soundtrack and some of the cinematic language (and the way it takes over the fire fight) are really out of place unless this movie is meant to be shown at a funeral. The last third is a bit weird too. The character Mark Wahlberg plays, Marcus Luttrell, kind of disappears under the weight of "Mark Wahlberg".

However, bfbfbfbfbf

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #1736 on: February 02, 2014, 05:52:42 PM »
Enter the Void

I saw it spoken of in some other thread, decided to poison me mind. I'm like a moth to the flames when I hear of somebody speak of a weird, borderline unwatchable movie.

Generally interesting, but suffered terribly from Peter Jackson syndrome. Damn near half of it could have been left on the cutting room floor with no real consequence.

I suspect this movie would have been interesting to my 16 year old mind. However if somebody is in the least bit introspective, or has the least bit knowledge of T*b*tian Buddhism, the big "reveals" and themes of this movie come off as blase.

The effects were cool, and some of the scenes were well shot. Can't totally pan it.

1/5 stars - don't bother, unless you need some background color for a trippy party
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

« Reply #1737 on: February 04, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »
Ender's Game. I remember reading the book in school and I liked it. The movie was...meh..not terribly good acting, Harrison Ford proves that he should really just retire and sit somewhere on a patio and be a grumpy old man. Good book, ignorable movie. I find that if I decide to look up news on Danish news sites whilst watching a movie it has, in my case, failed to be entertaining. Like comedies, Seinfeld for instance. People loved that show. It made me want to turn off the TV because it did not make me laugh.
As for "Ender's Game" I suggest reading the book, forget the movie.  agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1738 on: February 04, 2014, 10:34:05 PM »
I agree with most of that assessment. I don't know that Ender's Game, the movie, would send every viewer off to Danish news portals, but as a film, it was boring. They skimmed through the main points of a very dense book and came away with an absence of story. I however did enjoy Seinfeld back when it was on, in rerun after rerun after rerun.

Now, Speaker For The Dead, the second Ender book, which the otherwise kind of pointless last act of the movie gestures toward, that could be a movie. But only if they make it be a character study. If it's an action movie with the piggies eviscerating all their human friends... well, it could be some remarkable vegan propaganda, but it won't be Speaker For The Dead.

« Reply #1739 on: February 05, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
American Hustle

Another comedy/drama I didn't see the laughs in (except maybe when Jennifer Lawrence was doing her turns.) It could have been titled American Anxiety without changing much.

Best moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCgwFg6ti0c