Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

A-Train

Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1620 on: August 03, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »
To be honest, all I could really see was the  sadness behind all the glitter of a really great entertainer.

To quote the phrase Liberace himself coined, "(He) cried all the way to the bank.".
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1621 on: August 04, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
To be honest, all I could really see was the  sadness behind all the glitter of a really great entertainer.

To quote the phrase Liberace himself coined, "(He) cried all the way to the bank.".

He sure did A-Train. I'm very glad that glitz and glitter and material possessions mean very little to me.

« Reply #1622 on: August 09, 2013, 01:23:10 AM »
The Veteran

Excellent for what it is, a low budget thriller.

A tiny bit unconvincing in the paranoid conspiracy department, but better than good in other aspects.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1623 on: August 10, 2013, 04:33:54 AM »
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:49:52 AM by Guangzhou Writer »

« Reply #1624 on: September 01, 2013, 08:47:18 PM »
R.I.P.D.

Men In Black meets Ghostbusters and converts to pop Christianity (to make a modestly entertaining, not very endearing movie).

Kick Ass 2

More of the same, but much less subversive.

Pain & Gain

Dumb. Mark Wahlberg played his part with bite and skill, but Dwayne Johnson and Anthony Mackie were doing rubber-faced cardboard vaudeville.

Man of Steel

Not bad. Light on story, but lots of colour and movement.

« Reply #1625 on: September 22, 2013, 02:42:29 AM »
The Bling Ring

A character study with muggles.  bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1626 on: September 30, 2013, 01:26:20 PM »
Saw "Grown ups 2" starring Adam Sandler, Kevin James and Chris Rock. This is during the School holidays and has a PG rating. Most of you know that I'm not a prude, but I was surprised to see children of all ages, particularly ones about 8 to 10 yrs old, at this movie. I had one child behind me asking his mum a lot of questions. There were naturally lots of laughs and heaps of innuendo which the children probably wouldn't understand. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has seen this and could comment on its suitability for young children, or is Granny being too protective? mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #1627 on: October 01, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »
Granny, at least the parents are watching the movie with them, so that they can explain the content. Children are today exposed to content that makes any naughty things in a comedy look like a pristine Puritanical sermon on proper quilting by comparison, on their smartphones and without any adults supervision. So you are not being overprotective, just kind of old school overprotective. The only way parents can be protective today is by accompanying the children...or send them to a remote boarding school in the Swiss Alps where they only have a telegraph service. agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1628 on: October 02, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »
ETR, you are probably right. I saw an I-Pad for the first time when my brother showed it to me a couple of days ago. I am finding it hard to get my head around what is available to young children today. bibibibibi

« Reply #1629 on: October 02, 2013, 02:47:09 PM »
Everything, Granny, everything. That's why parents these days cannot blame TV, video games and such for children doing bad things. They give them iPads and smartphones and the internet has no moral or ethical boundaries. Hence it is the good parents who come to the conclusion that if their child wants to watch something with adult themes, the least they can do is accompany them.

To return to topic: I recently watched "The World's End". Normally Simon Pegg and Nick Frost makes me laugh but this movie tanked. It was good, until the last 10 minutes.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1630 on: October 02, 2013, 05:09:40 PM »
A parental perspective definitely changes things, especially if you have a daughter. aqaqaqaqaq

I had to explain the euphemism in the lyrics "I'm a mother freaking princess" to my daughter yesterday.
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1631 on: October 03, 2013, 03:50:23 AM »
You won't believe this, the g/f wanted to see the Lion King (the first one) as she's never seen it before. She cried when Scar killed Muphasa and cheered when Simba beat Scar. Sadly she missed so many of the good inside jokes

PS: Scar is one of my favourite characters of all time cartoon or not
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

A-Train

« Reply #1632 on: October 03, 2013, 05:00:52 AM »
Saw "Prisoners", the first real entry into the Oscar-worthy season.  Jake Gyllenhaal, Hugh Jackman, Terrance Howard, Viola Davis, Melissa Leo and Paul Dano.  Pretty long on drama and rainstorm-induced mood,but more or less interesting and, definitely, dark.  Not sure I liked the twist, but it's always tough to end a drama, I think.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1633 on: October 05, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
I think you guys would like "Rush". It is a biography of champion driver Niki Lauda and the 1976 crash that nearly claimed his life. Chris Hemsworth played the part of his rival James Hunt. I thought that it was well acted and the story was interesting and sad. James Hunt only lived to be 46 yrs old, so I guess it was as well that he didn't waste any time;no wonder he had a heart attack. I'm not giving away anything about the movie, because none of that side of things was shown. The theatre was full of blokes, with my neighbour and I as the only females. We both enjoyed the movie even though we are totally different personalities. Ladies should also enjoy this show. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1634 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32:48 PM »
Lone Ranger (2013)

Long. Not complicated.

As it happens I also watched Westworld the other night too. It holds up pretty well (although the last thirty minutes is tedious).