Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1590 on: July 23, 2013, 12:59:50 AM »
I just saw Watchmen. I'm not sure what it is about Zach Snyder, his films are all really beautiful and there isn't anything obvious wrong with his films, I can just never follow the plot or get involved in what is going on

I agree with this completely.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1591 on: July 23, 2013, 05:12:06 AM »
Before Midnight (2013) is the third in director/writer/autobiographer Richard Linklater's romance trilogy and he is a master of this genre. It was released in the USA a month or so ago and there's a very high quality DL (2.3 GB) with hardcoded Korean subs available. They don't get in the way at all.

I love this trilogy and these are some of the most honest movies I've ever seen, especially as the characters reflect the continuing age and development of the principle actors, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, both of whom are fantastically good in this moving picture.

The title is a bit of foreshadowing of the focus of this stage in the romance, but I won't say any more except that, as Linklater promised, this film does answer all questions raised by the previous film.

It is really fun to see just how amazingly good Hawke and Delpy can act in this movie. BTW, Hawke resembles Linklater in such extensive detail (clothes, facial hair, posture, hair style, and more) that it's almost like a running in-joke that most of Linklater's "dialog" films are extremely autobiographical.

Loved it! Films like this sustain my enjoyment of cinema during months or even years of disappointment. Final scene of this film was even better than Linklater's Tape 2001.

Guangzhou Writer

• Can use chopsticks
« Reply #1592 on: July 23, 2013, 05:19:53 AM »
I just saw Watchmen. I'm not sure what it is about Zach Snyder, his films are all really beautiful and there isn't anything obvious wrong with his films, I can just never follow the plot or get involved in what is going on

Watchmen is eye candy with a creamy nugat center of moral relativity scenarios where you are put in the position of cheering for the worst of the "good" people and accepting the evil of "bad" people.

For example:

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

In Watchmen, the only character who objects on moral principle to Ozymandius' final solution to mutual assured destruction is the obvious psychopath, Rorschak, so we have to take the side of a principled and overt psychopath against the slick an clever, covert psychopath, while the more moderate characters acquiesce to the evil because of the rationale that once the damage is done, revealing the true motives of the bad guys will cause more harm.

In other words, we better not tell the children how f**ed up things are or they'll get upset.

This is the common theme in the super hero and many other films. Once you recognize it, it's just a matter of figuring out how that hidden message is cleverly inserted into each plot point. It's like counting how many times a director uses the same gag over and over.

Monkey King

« Reply #1593 on: July 23, 2013, 05:30:35 AM »
Who will watch the watchmen?

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1594 on: July 23, 2013, 05:51:10 AM »

Watchmen is eye candy with a creamy nugat center of moral relativity scenarios where you are put in the position of cheering for the worst of the "good" people and accepting the evil of "bad" people.

For example:

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

In Watchmen, the only character who objects on moral principle to Ozymandius' final solution to mutual assured destruction is the obvious psychopath, Rorschak, so we have to take the side of a principled and overt psychopath against the slick an clever, covert psychopath, while the more moderate characters acquiesce to the evil because of the rationale that once the damage is done, revealing the true motives of the bad guys will cause more harm.

In other words, we better not tell the children how f**ed up things are or they'll get upset.

This is the common theme in the super hero and many other films. Once you recognize it, it's just a matter of figuring out how that hidden message is cleverly inserted into each plot point. It's like counting how many times a director uses the same gag over and over.

Yeah but that's a pretty deep plot, it's kind of amazing how the movie seemed to pedestrian when there was quite a lot going on

« Reply #1595 on: July 23, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
I really, really want to watch "R.I.P.D" despite amount of lukewarm faeces being pelted at from critics. The reason I want to watch it is that I want to know exactly how Hollywood could fudge up such a yummy concept. Dead police officers get a second chance at doing their job by patrolling the mortal realm and chasing down spirits of criminals and such...that is just a plain awesome idea. From the clips I have seen, it would appear that they take this concept, add village-idiot humour a la "American Pie" and use pretty much every special effect employed in making "Men In Black". If there ever was a movie concept which called for a more serious, gritty, slightly noir setting, it is this one. I keep sending letter upon letter to Hollywood but no replies. Why oh why is it so hard for movie studio moguls to realize, as they ride around in cars made of solid gold which runs on tears of unicorns and smoke huge cigars which they light with hundred Dollar bills, that an underpaid English teacher in China knows exactly what they should do to make better movies?? Oh well, must send another letter to Universal Studios...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1596 on: July 23, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
Only God Forgives

Right up until the last ten minutes I was thinking "wonderfully ponderous nonsense." The last ten minutes is a natural conclusion. Relatively speaking, anyway. And provoking of thought.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1597 on: July 24, 2013, 01:21:01 AM »
Only God Forgives

Right up until the last ten minutes I was thinking "wonderfully ponderous nonsense." The last ten minutes is a natural conclusion. Relatively speaking, anyway. And provoking of thought.

Really liked this one but I can see how many would not. It you liked this directors last movie, 'Drive' also with Ryan Gosling, give it a shot.

« Reply #1598 on: July 24, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »
Really liked this one but I can see how many would not. It you liked this directors last movie, 'Drive' also with Ryan Gosling, give it a shot.

I found the ending disconcerting. By the familiar cinematic story-telling standards, the ending is wrong. But that can be okay if the story told is "true" in some sense--true to a given culture or a mindset that we don't usually see in English language films. I don't know if it is, though. It might be. I couldn't tell.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1599 on: July 25, 2013, 04:23:31 AM »
Okay saw the Lone Ranger trailer and have crossed it off my list.Shall watch "Behind the Candelabra" instead and really enjoyed "Late Quartet" which was shown on the plane on the way home.
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

« Reply #1600 on: July 25, 2013, 08:44:19 PM »
Evil Dead, 2013.

Gore fest, particularly at the end. Some nods to the original, but almost no comedy to be found, nor much horror either. Starts well, though.

« Reply #1601 on: July 27, 2013, 04:32:41 AM »
"The Woman in Black", excellent ghost movie, no gore, just good old-fashioned bone-chilling creepiness. I wish they would make more movies like that.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #1602 on: July 27, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
Before Midnight (2013) is the third in director/writer/autobiographer Richard Linklater's romance trilogy and he is a master of this genre. It was released in the USA a month or so ago and there's a very high quality DL (2.3 GB) with hardcoded Korean subs available. They don't get in the way at all.

I love this trilogy and these are some of the most honest movies I've ever seen, especially as the characters reflect the continuing age and development of the principle actors, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, both of whom are fantastically good in this moving picture.

The title is a bit of foreshadowing of the focus of this stage in the romance, but I won't say any more except that, as Linklater promised, this film does answer all questions raised by the previous film.

It is really fun to see just how amazingly good Hawke and Delpy can act in this movie. BTW, Hawke resembles Linklater in such extensive detail (clothes, facial hair, posture, hair style, and more) that it's almost like a running in-joke that most of Linklater's "dialog" films are extremely autobiographical.

Loved it! Films like this sustain my enjoyment of cinema during months or even years of disappointment. Final scene of this film was even better than Linklater's Tape 2001.

Saw "Before Midnight" yesterday. I have not seen any of the other movies and in fact, didn't know they even existed until Guangzhou Writer posted about this. I really enjoyed the way it reflected basic human behaviour. My neighbour didn't think she was going to like it when she realized that there was not a lot of action going on. I think there is something here that most folk can relate to. bfbfbfbfbf

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #1603 on: July 27, 2013, 01:32:06 PM »
Prometheus
I've tried to watch it about 1000 times but it always sends me to sleep so today I watched it sober and awake. Really really enjoyed it, I remember a lot of people being disappointed when it came out but I loved it.
The aesthetic was amazing and I think I would have preferred it if it hadn't gone a bit 'horror' in the 2nd half of the movie but still thought it was great. I hope there are more of those 'engineers' in the sequel

A-Train

« Reply #1604 on: July 27, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
I loved "Prometheus" too and that, despite seeing it in a Chinese theater.  Fassbender and Theron were spot on and who could ever forget Naomi Rapace's self-service surgery scene?  It caught a lot of flack for being overly mythological, but I respect it for reaching that far and asking big questions. 
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck