Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

A-Train

Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1380 on: January 20, 2011, 12:18:46 AM »
"Winter's Bone".  One of the best movies of the year.  If you want to give your class a taste of "hillbilly" country in the U.S., this could be the one. 

I really liked this one.

Surprising, no?  I've never seen the lead actress before but she carried the movie.  The uncle "Tear Drop" actor is getting talk for a nomination as well.  I thought the old lady was great too.  You think all she wants is to hurt the young girl, but then helps her, (in her own unique way).  Even "Thump" who had about three lines in the whole movie said so much more in the way he carried himself.

"True Grit" is pretty damn good too.  The cowboy tale that's been told a million times before, but in the hands of the Coen Brothers it's a one-of-a-kind.  What a cast but the lead is an unknown 13 year-old who holds her own against Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin.

A couple other surprise for me:  "Rabbit Hole" about a family that loses a young child and "The Kids Are All Right" about...well...a bizarre L.A. family.

Too damn many movies...gotta get back to work.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1381 on: January 20, 2011, 07:32:38 AM »
Don't bother with the Woody Allen "Tall Dark Stranger" it's just a piece of fluff, rather akin to eating a sweet marshmallow when you are starving hungry.
I did try to watch Winter's Bone but my DVD seems to have just died, and I have a backlog of seasons of House MD to get through  ananananan
It's off to buy a new machine tomorrow....
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

fox

« Reply #1382 on: January 20, 2011, 04:57:53 PM »
'Game of Death' 2010 action movie with wesley snipes last night was a good movie. Some movies seem to be more suited to a group of friends watching rather than just alone, not quite sure how that works.. anyway nice to see snipes wielding his weapon (gun)  afafafafaf
regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

« Reply #1383 on: January 21, 2011, 03:00:11 AM »
I just watched "Flushed Away"...I found it hilarious agagagagag agagagagag
I am going to be needing some good, funny movies for my hermit spring festival existence...any suggestions...and movies like "Dude, where is my car" and those of its ilk are not funny... agagagagag agagagagag
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1384 on: January 21, 2011, 06:28:49 AM »
Oh Flushed away is divine,showed it in class a few times it is so cute.My kids liked Truman Show immensely

« Reply #1385 on: January 21, 2011, 07:18:23 AM »
Don't go see TRON unless it's in 3D.

axaxaxaxax  Cost a fortune, but worth it.  bfbfbfbfbf
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #1386 on: January 21, 2011, 02:24:30 PM »
I watched "Let Me In" last night. It's a complete slap in the face to those gay, tenny bopper "Twilight" movies. A very original vampire film with great wiring, awesome atmosphere and good acting by a mostly unknown cast.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1387 on: January 21, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »
I heard a great comment on those Twilight-type films.

"If you are in any of the new teen vampire movies, get bitten by something, and are not gay - you become a werewolf."
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1388 on: January 21, 2011, 11:22:23 PM »
I loved Let Me In, decurso. It was coool and I hate vampire movies. But it was kinda subtle and unusual. Don't know, not really when I was watching it so much but afterwards the "feel" of it kept coming back to me.Intriguing and atmospheric indeed.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #1389 on: January 21, 2011, 11:43:43 PM »
I watched Twilight last night. Seemed pretty typical for the intended audience not the worst of the genre I think. I don't know the books but aren't they young adult girl books? If so, I'd say the movie is pretty good for staying true to the source material. I did get elbowed pretty hard a couple of times for laughing at the sparkly vampire and comparing a tree scene to one in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Fortunately my friend says the other ones are not good so I won't have to watch those. It wasn't overly long and the time investment paid off later in the evening.

fox

« Reply #1390 on: January 22, 2011, 02:17:23 AM »
'The company Men'  is a great movie, released at a good time given the state of the world economy. not the first movie to have been made regarding job loss and redundancies but particularly well sensitively acted with Ben Affleck, tommy lee jones and Kevin costner - i havent seen him in anything for a while.

Im intrigued piglet, i have tried flushed away, the wild, and similar cartoons with my more capable students only to find them getting lost in the innuendos and jokes in those movies. From an entertaining perspective for sure there was mileage in them, but as to language retention or even understanding i thought it was wanting. Obviously it depends on the english level. How old are your lot?

regard man as a mine rich in gems of inestimable value.

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1391 on: February 07, 2011, 06:38:51 AM »
Last year high school (17 ish) but I really gave it to them as an end of term treat when my chances of getting much done learning wise was minimal so not much to lose,Fox.
BTW just did Truman Show with my 11th graders and they thought it was sooo cool as Big Brother is uber-popular over here right now.Gave them a Worksheet I found online (I think it was by a Chinese teacher,judging by the name on it) and it was really excellent.

A-Train

« Reply #1392 on: February 07, 2011, 07:27:37 AM »
"Rabbit Hole" gets a big thumbs up.  Not your Saturday night "popcorn movie", but extremely well written, acted and explores new territory. 
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

cobra

« Reply #1393 on: March 03, 2011, 07:02:17 PM »
I just watched Guzaarish movie with Hrithik Roshan. It's awesome!!!!!!.
recommend bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #1394 on: April 12, 2011, 07:16:06 PM »
I just saw Hachiko: A Dogs Tale. This is from 2009 but I never saw it. It has Richard Gere in it and has a Japanese influence.  bjbjbjbjbj At least, this is where the dog comes from. I think this is an independent film but is really well done. Some of these studios turn out better pictures than the bigger ones do.  akakakakak

Here is the link from Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachi:_A_Dog%27s_Tale.