Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #1350 on: November 29, 2010, 02:18:29 AM »
I just for the first time watched The Madness of King George. What an unexpected masterpiece! If you haven't seen this little jewel yet, by all means give it a look. bfbfbfbfbf
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

A-Train

« Reply #1351 on: December 02, 2010, 06:53:17 PM »
I got lucky enough to catch "The Madness of King George" when it first came out on video.  I agree, it's as well done as it is interesting.  I'm told it's very accurate as well.  I hope they do a sequel..."The Madness of George W.".

"The Social Network"...best movie of the year so far IMHO.  I wouldn't have guessed that this subject could have produced such a winner of a movie.  Smart, fast dialogue but with a heart as well.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1352 on: December 02, 2010, 11:48:52 PM »
"The Madness of King George" is one of my favourites...desperately wanted to show it in history class but can't find it on youku, 56.com or tudou... llllllllll llllllllll llllllllll

Just watched "Despicable Me"....watch it, it is soooo funny... ahahahahah ahahahahah
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

jpd01

« Reply #1353 on: December 14, 2010, 04:49:44 PM »
I just watched a movie last night in Starbucks called Scott Pilgrim vs the world.
I wasn't expecting too much from it as it's probably aimed at more the comic book lover. But I have to say I really enjoyed it, it never takes itself seriously (which I love) At first I thought it was just an awkward guy/girl story but then all the comic super fight shit happens and it's all really well done. I liked the dialog and the cut aways in the movie as well. Check it out if you want something light and amusing.
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

Fugu

« Reply #1354 on: December 15, 2010, 05:57:00 AM »
Just torrented Animal Kingdom. Pretty dark, and a little disturbing. But it's the best movie I've seen for a while.
“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society,” Twain.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #1355 on: December 23, 2010, 05:35:55 AM »
I watched Easy A tonight. For the first 30 minutes I thought to myself, "God, this is a horrible, Lindsey Lohan-esque girl movie".

Actually, as someone who spent a year teaching a film appreciation course to Chinese students, I would totally use this. It is one of the safer movies you can show Chinese students about life in Western high schools, it's pretty funny at times, easy to understand (for non native speakers I mean) and it does make a good statement about the double standard that applies to boys and girls when it comes to sexual behaviour.

It also pays a kind of nostalgiac homage to those John Hughes 80's movies. Give it a chance. bfbfbfbfbf

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #1356 on: December 23, 2010, 02:55:24 PM »
Had the guilty pleasure of watching KickAss.

Although it was a fairly straightforward plot and the screenwriters won't be getting any Oscars, it was still amazingly funny and disturbingly sick.  The massacre to the Banana Splits theme song was priceless. ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #1357 on: December 23, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Currently going through my back catalogue of downloaded British TV, Blackadder and Alan Partridge being the best I think!

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1358 on: December 24, 2010, 06:36:45 AM »
Being currently in a High Laurie phase I just discovered a load of Bit of Fry and Laurie and they are just deliciously funny  ahahahahah
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord

A-Train

« Reply #1359 on: December 24, 2010, 06:18:32 PM »
Put off watching "Shutter Island" because the reviews had been so bad.  Don't know why cuz I thought it was interesting, surprising and beautiful to look at.  Give it a shot.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #1360 on: December 24, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
I agree the reviews for Shutter Island were awful but were great for Inception. I thought of the two Shutter Island was the better film.  asasasasas

« Reply #1361 on: December 24, 2010, 09:04:26 PM »
Toddled off to the movies to see "CHLOE". I became suspicious when I observed that I was the only female in the audience of about 16 people. I soon found out why! uuuuuuuuuu This lady hired a prostitute to seduce her husband (Liam Neeson?) She went beyond the call of duty and seduced the hirer and the son. aoaoaoaoao I noticed that a couple of the blokes in the audience sneaked off before the lights came on at the end. ahahahahah

Today I saw Sarah's Key based upon the acclaimed French novel. A sad story about a dark period of French history involving life for Jews under Occupation. I think we need to see things like this so that we don't forget about man's inhumanity to man. My grandson, who is 12 yrs old, is being taught at school to forgive and forget. kkkkkkkkkk I tell him it is easy to do that when you don't know the stories and it does not personally impact on you.

« Reply #1362 on: December 24, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »
The Social Network was fabulous.  Felt like I knew those guys personally.

Watched Inception and it was well worth it.  Ellen Paige was amazing; Lucas Haas, too.  The flick deserves a few nominations.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

AMonk

« Reply #1363 on: December 24, 2010, 11:56:51 PM »
Today I saw Sarah's Key based upon the acclaimed French novel. A sad story about a dark period of French history involving life for Jews under Occupation. I think we need to see things like this so that we don't forget about man's inhumanity to man. My grandson, who is 12 yrs old, is being taught at school to forgive and forget. kkkkkkkkkk I tell him it is easy to do that when you don't know the stories and it does not personally impact on you.

Forgiveness is healthy...it's the forgetting that's bad.  I was teaching WWII and we'd just seen a film on the Nuremburg trials when the US had its scandal about Abu Ghreib Prison.  The excuses were identical - "I was only following orders".

Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.
Moderation....in most things...

piglet

• Piglet's House
« Reply #1364 on: December 25, 2010, 02:02:48 AM »
I liked both Inception and Shutter Island but I think SI was a bit better plotwise, although the visuals in Inception were amazing.
Also enjoyed the Social Network- the acting was very good, even Justin Timberlake!
For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord