Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #255 on: July 13, 2007, 02:02:42 PM »
I did feel the Norman Gunston effect.  He was brilliant. And doing this stuff many, many years ago.

Mimi

« Reply #256 on: July 13, 2007, 08:36:20 PM »
My dying, rustbelt corner of the world will get the movie, but not the KWIK-E MART mock-ups done to a handful of 7-11s around the country :(

There is one about 45 minutes from me.  I am going to go this weekend.  And there will be gloating.

« Reply #257 on: July 13, 2007, 10:27:28 PM »
I'm not jealous...nope, not at all...Just going to sit still and wait for August 3, when it premiers here.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #258 on: July 13, 2007, 10:52:33 PM »
Watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3 and eating parmesan flavoured popcorn.  Good music, some good lines, cinematography interesting.  Story .....

« Reply #259 on: July 13, 2007, 11:07:51 PM »
Story smory. It's fun. Like Transformers, not a movie to watch for the story but for the lines, the effects.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

moon over parma

« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2007, 12:54:21 AM »

There is one about 45 minutes from me.  I am going to go this weekend.  And there will be gloating.

Lucky you! Duff - maybe FUDD, a Chutney squishy, some Krusty-O's... uuuuuuuuuu

There is one KWIK-E Mart about 3 hours away. I love THE SIMPSONS, but not even that phenomenon can get me to drive to that location (ga$$$$ prices being the big spoiler). :(

Vegemite

« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2007, 03:26:30 PM »
Daughter and I tried to watch The Transformers last night, we ended up turning the computer off...it just went on and on...and with lots of so unsubtle one-liners. So, give me the last Pirates movie anyday.

« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2007, 03:45:22 PM »
Wow, I thought Transformers had a far better storyline than the last Pirates film.  I loved the first Pirates film but the others I did not like at all. To each their own, maybe 'Formers just appeals to us males?!?!

Harry Potter V - I liked it a lot, much darker than the last ones.  Can't wait for book 7!

Days of Glory - Algerian Muslims fighting for France in WW2, it was interesting in the beginning but lost momentum and I didn't like it after the 2nd act.

Big Nothing - (David Schwimmer/Simon Pegg) dark comedy from 06, pretty good if you like DCs, interesting story with some good twists and turns. 

Hot Fuzz - Awesome! Buddy cop parody/homage comedy action film! If you like buddy cop films you need to see this!

The things we touch have no permanence.

moon over parma

« Reply #263 on: July 14, 2007, 04:28:54 PM »

Hot Fuzz - Awesome! Buddy cop parody/homage comedy action film! If you like buddy cop films you need to see this!

Very good until the false ending in the cop shop. That totally killed it for me. 3 minutes killed the entire film. It came off as a quick, cheap, overindulgent, clichéd bait-and-switch that was neither successful nor productive.  Maybe I place a higher standard of expectations on Edgard Wright and Simon Pegg based on SPACED, SHAUN OF THE DEAD and LOOK AROUND YOU, and when they do something that felt like it came out of a LARRY THE CABLE GUY movie I felt betrayed as a viewer. They set the bar for themselves; came close to raising it and then ran it into the ground.  bibibibibi

Vegemite

« Reply #264 on: July 14, 2007, 05:20:15 PM »
To each their own, maybe 'Formers just appeals to us males?!?!

I don't know, it'll be interesting to see. I was actually really looking forward to Transformers 'cos I normally like that sort of gungho all American-type movie...but nope, not this one.

I didn't enjoy this one much either, it was watchable but not memorable, not like Shuan of the Dead - now Shuan of the Dead was hilarious.

moon over parma

« Reply #265 on: July 16, 2007, 04:10:06 AM »
Had a double bill of TENEBRE and THE SWINGING CHEERLEADERS last night.

moon over parma

« Reply #266 on: July 16, 2007, 08:46:38 PM »
It's time to hanker down with Lucio Fulci's DRACULA IN THE PROVINCES.

« Reply #267 on: July 16, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »
After tonights run, it's "The Big Sleep" with Bogart. Tomorrow, Casablanca.

Mimi

« Reply #268 on: July 17, 2007, 07:46:13 PM »
The Dark Crystal.

Edited because the rest of my original post didn't come through.  I mentioned something about the documentary on the DVD extra of Labyrinth.  Kind of boring, but detailed the intricacies of puppet design, and a (now) false hope the puppets would be the next wave of special effects advancement in movies. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 05:46:25 PM by Mimi »

« Reply #269 on: July 17, 2007, 07:51:04 PM »
4 Musketeers - French film, looks to be edited down from a TV mini-series, it was ok, but the dubbing was awful. Not in the kung fu movie awful but cool way, in an awful awful echoey crap way.

I'm working on the BBC Special In Search Of The Trojan War, 6 hours of BBC goodness!
The things we touch have no permanence.