Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2007, 06:26:32 PM »
I was fed up after season 2 and never bothered with season 3.
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2007, 01:54:23 AM »
I was really hooked on Prison Break. Of course it didnt' hurt that the characters were very nice to look at... ;D
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

moon over parma

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2007, 02:05:42 AM »
I was fed up after season 2 and never bothered with season 3.

I felt that way into the first epsiode of the first season! GILLIGANS ISLAND amped, really.  bibibibibi

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2007, 03:53:22 AM »
season 3 of lost started out very very poorly for the first 6 episodes or so, and then went really good for about the last 8 episodes.
It is too early to say.

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2007, 05:27:42 AM »
I'm watching a Russian show about a Nanny. The script for some reason was written by some English speaker. FUN!  ahahahahah

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2007, 05:44:02 AM »
Cheeky, have you seen Lilja 4 Ever?  most depressing film EVER!!!!
It is too early to say.

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2007, 05:56:13 AM »
No. But now that you've mentioned - I wont!

solongtinik

• tryin to complete my life's journey
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2007, 09:41:46 PM »
i was packing my things when i figured out that in just merely 3 months i've collected more than 80 dvds and watched all of 'em...and make that less than a hundred with all the dvds  borrowed from friends..

i'd miss dvd shopping since pirated dvds in my country are more expensive than here.  llllllllll
if he does not struggle against what is wrong-even if it seems beyond his strength-he will bever find the right road

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
I preferred the books by the author of Bones to the series.  Her writing is far more lively than the series.

Currently watching CSI:Miami - but getting pretty tired of Horatio's dodgy 'deep and meaningful' one liners. A really bad writer there.

My ayi and I tidied up my DVD/CD collection yesterday - took us together over an hour!  She matched the Chinese titles with covers and I did the English ones.  I still have a cupboardful of DVDs I haven't seen and a LARGE plastic box on rollers of ones I have seen - and that's not counting the ones I took home a couple of years ago - at least another 100.  And I have 2 of those boxes of CDs!  It is addictive.

kcanuck

• Canadian Stop Sign
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2007, 10:25:25 PM »
I couldn't watch Bones on tv either, so much of a let down considering how excellent the books are.
I'm still watching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and I'm still liking it, it's a notch above so much of the general tv blah stuff.
Favourite tv series this past year, House, CSI Las Vegas and The Shield.
I am still learning. Michelangelo

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2007, 10:41:58 PM »

Currently watching CSI:Miami - but getting pretty tired of Horatio's dodgy 'deep and meaningful' one liners. A really bad writer there.

I really dislike this show. What writers? It seems that most of the show is musical interludes with some 'cool' slow-motion walking. Caruso is brutal. I thought he was good in NYPD Blues. Not now.

Check this out Lotus http://youtube.com/watch?v=HJSqkwyL1Zo

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2007, 11:21:55 PM »
No. But now that you've mentioned - I wont!

Just mentioned it as its russian.  It's very good.  Just depressing!
It is too early to say.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2007, 12:11:17 AM »
LOVED it!!!Had me laughing even before he started speaking.

moon over parma

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2007, 05:09:48 AM »
I watched the surreal Italian historical comedy THE FIVE DAYS, about the five day war in Milan that sent the Austrians packing and led to the eventual unification of what we call "Italy" today. It was kind of like A FISTFUL OF DYNAMITE if Roberto Begnini had set it in Italy and made it back in 1975 (he's not in it, by the way).

I also finally set aside time (after nearly a decade) to watch a film called FUNNY GAMES. It's a deceptively titled, nasty, excellent gut-churner without having particularly graphic violence (something I have no qualms about I can appreciate cheap shock and more subtle shocks as well). Average cinema goers will talk a talk about how films like SILENCE OF THE LAMBS disturbed them, but if that is true, then FUNNY GAMES will VIOLATE them - and without anything particularly graphic. Really. I can't emphasize that enough. It even goes so far as to indict the viewer as a participant in what transpires within the film - and yet it's actual on-screen mayhem is only barely an "R". PG Hollywood family fare like INDIANA JONES & THE TEMPLE OF DOOM was far more graphic, actually. However the film's tight script, excellent performances, and precise direction and delivery of subject matter that could have easily been another desensitizing, predictable, glamor-filled Hollywood "thriller" (which its inevitable Hollywood remake will be, no doubt) is perhaps one of the most chilling films to come out of the nineties.

If I go too much into the plot it would ruin the film. It's like the sixth sense and you have to watch it and see the little clues that lead you to realize just what was going on in the first reel. Once the unfortunate events unfold it's one of those rare films that have viewers realizing,  "oh shit, I should have known this was going to happen!"

If you can handle spoilers and really want to know more about it, PM me and I'll tell you what the full plot is, but the film was released in 1997 and directed by Austrian director Michael Haneke. It's not a pretentious, droll Euro "art" film. This baby is pure horror. No supernatural crap. No Hollywood happy Jason crap. No Hannibal Lecter crap. Brutal stuff and its violence is 95% psychological. I only regret letting the DVD get lost in the shuffle (I bought it in 1998 and kind of just forgot about it until I started to go through my belongings that I'm getting ready to sell off).

I guess an easy way to encapsulate the film without spoiling it is to say that this film is like a cousin to the Henry Rollins spoken word "Family Man." Obscure reference, I know, but if you get that reference you'll know what FUNNY GAMES has in store.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 04:28:33 PM by moon over parma »

Mimi

« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2007, 04:25:56 PM »
I started watching CSI Miami while I was still attending the University of Miami, and found it to be pretty laughable.  My dormmate and I just kept saying "Where ARE they? The Beach? Because I was at the Beach this morning, and that isn't what it looks like." It was like a soundstage of a perfect Miami.