Movie/film thread: resurrected

• 2327 replies
Re: Movie/film thread: resurrected
« Reply #720 on: July 02, 2008, 08:59:39 PM »
Over the weekend I saw Wanted at the theater -- Angelina Jolie, Morgan Freeman, etc. I enjoyed it, but my sensibilities are a tad warped. Not a film for the faint of heart. Presently, I'm watching The Illusionist -- Edward Norton (whom I LOVE) and Paul Giamatti. I've seen this one 3 times now. Good stuff.

« Reply #721 on: July 02, 2008, 10:57:59 PM »
Be Kind, Rewind -- whatever.  Jack Black not being Jack Black.
Night of The Living Dead (remake) -- excellent, as always.
Cannibal Holocaust -- by turns tedious and disgusting -- great fun.
Ghosts of The Civil Dead -- compelling, vibrant, awful.
The Bank Job -- watchable, fun.
Jumper -- cool, and almost a story!  Look for the TV series.

Michael Clayton -- angry George! 

It's surprising how readable is his face in this.  Like all the reviews say, a mature thriller.  A little difficult to follow, but substantial--it can be watched more than once.  Definitely a character movie--every character is right there as soon as you see them.  (Except maybe for George himself--he's there doing things and showing things, but the character remains a little elusive...)  Good stuff.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #722 on: July 02, 2008, 11:58:05 PM »
Was it me, or did Be Kind, Rewind seem too long? Since it wasn't the worst movie I've seen this past week, I guess I shouldn't complain ... Glad I didn't waste money seeing it at the theater.

« Reply #723 on: July 06, 2008, 06:14:29 PM »
I watched a good British film, In Bruges, mostly British actors and a very good, funny story line.  Worth a look.

« Reply #724 on: July 08, 2008, 04:31:13 AM »
Watched "Prince Caspian"....not the best flick ever. One also got the notion that the director had seen LOTR a wee bit too many times. They also changed the story. Why do they have to do that?? Hollywood should not be allowed anywhere near books anymore!! Ever!! Books are meant to be read, not watched.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #725 on: July 08, 2008, 04:35:56 AM »
Hancock was GOOD! Definitely worth watching if you like superhero movies: I kept laughing the whole time. Will Smith's done a good job on the character and the story line is a bit different from the usual sloppy superhero movies.  agagagagag Waiting to watch Wall-E.

« Reply #726 on: July 08, 2008, 07:24:17 AM »
In Bruges -- see it!  It's a cracker.

"They're filmin' summat... they're filmin' midgets!"
"Ray, come on--let's go."
"My arse `let's go', they're filmin' midgets."

Mr Bean's Holiday -- a lovely film, beautiful to look at and pleasant to watch.

Southland Tales -- now there's a film that could be fixed by something as simple as JUST, REALY, NOT SETTING UP THE WHOLE THING WITH THIRTY MINUTES OF VOICEOVER!  That, and reaching a little deeper for the metaphysical, but then the subject is modern America so maybe there isn't deeper...  A lot of it's supposed to be funny too.  When I reminded myself of that it actually was funny.

Bee Movie -- there's something, and I don't know what it is, but there's something in that film, some, just, can't fix on it, just one notch off-kilter ideological programming.  Think about it--bright colours, lovely imagery, all distracting from the, the, the... central... the... can't put my finger on it.  It has to be an experiment in hypnosis of some kind.  Has to be.

(Again, In Bruges -- see it! -- because they're not fokin British, are they.  They're fokin Paddies from Doblin!)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:02:41 AM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

« Reply #727 on: July 08, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »
Man, I loved Clash of the Titans: wonderful interpretation of Greek Mythology, great cast, and delightfully awful special effects.  The decapitation scene was great: it looks like they put a costume on a ketchup bottle then tipped it over.

The cult classics I'm hunting for are Flash Gordon and Big Trouble in Little China.  No dice thus far... ananananan
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

AMonk

« Reply #728 on: July 08, 2008, 10:41:34 PM »
Amazon.com (USA) and/or moviesunlimited.com both show these films as being available, albeit on Region 1 discs.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #729 on: July 09, 2008, 08:00:38 PM »
Children of the silk road. The story of George Hogg, a young Englishman,who led a bunch of orphaned Chinese boys on a perilous journey through the mountains,to safety during W.W.11. Hogg became a news reporter and witnessed the Japanese brutality first hand in 1938. He went on to become headmaster,in 1943,of a boys' school in Huang Shi.With the japanese steadily advancing he led his orphan students on a 1200km march across mountains to Shandan. A statue was erected there in his honour by the Communists. The film is based on a true story and stars Jonathan Rhys Myers as Hogg. Radha Mitchell,Chow Yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh also have key roles. The scenery was beautiful and I really enjoyed the movie.

« Reply #730 on: July 10, 2008, 01:09:50 AM »
I'll be able to go and see The Dark Knight at a proper cinema in a couple of weeks.  agagagagag
It is too early to say.

« Reply #731 on: July 10, 2008, 01:44:36 AM »
Just reserved my ticket. Wednesday the 23rd, Batman and the Joker, in a huge cinema with a kick-ass sound system. It's going to be sooooooo good.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

« Reply #732 on: July 10, 2008, 11:23:45 PM »
How come you danes get it two days before us?  asasasasas
It is too early to say.

« Reply #733 on: July 11, 2008, 12:08:29 AM »
Because we are the happiest people on the planet.

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #734 on: July 13, 2008, 05:31:28 AM »
 Just watched the end of two of the greatest TV shows I have ever seen... Six Feet Under and The Sopranos. So nice to see TV shows that don't wear out their welcome and actually end at their peak.