Election! Our chance to become nice people again.

• 159 replies

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
Re: Election! Our chance to become nice people again.
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2007, 07:06:53 PM »
yes, there are people who do not watch too carefully what is happening. But the majority of people who changed their votes from last time really did want an end to the lies and the deception.

I worked in a very 'fragile' (Indigenous Programs) section of a fairly 'fragile' department - IR, WPHS, Training and Employment.  We saw daily the impact changes in these areas had on people's lives.  For us, every nuance, every wriggle of a ministerial eyebrow at Federal and State level was analysed very carefully to see what impacts it would have.  An amazing learning experience.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2007, 10:30:03 PM »
I also drank red and it tasted way better going down then when it came back up a few hours later.

I'm glad that Howard is out though sadly i was unable to contribute seeing as i was unable to get to Shanghai. Hopefully Rudd will not screw up the country and we can gain some respect in the world again.

Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2007, 06:56:01 AM »
Familiarity breeds contempt.  Frankly, every time I see how long the Libs were in, I think it's a typo. 

Canadian elections are often decided out of a general yearning for change.  Some people will cry corruption, others want new ideas, others new people in power.  New governments that ride this wave, well, in Canada their performance has varied.

Anyhow, sounds like Labour has a proper mandate.  It will be interesting to see what he does with the ball.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

gonzo

« Reply #153 on: November 28, 2007, 02:40:48 PM »
RIP Phil Stephens.
No static at all.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #154 on: November 28, 2007, 02:54:20 PM »
Good one.

« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2007, 12:43:44 AM »
While we're still in election mode I shall do a shameless plug here for the Chasers- last ep for the year airs tonight, is actually the 2nd part of the Election coverage. Should be up on the website by say 8pm at the latest (China time). Just keep refreshing til today's ep is listed- enjoy (very much looking forward to seeing the Campbell Newmann spot pppppppppp!).

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/chaser/war/int/vodcast/
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2007, 10:30:57 PM »
Libs have shot themselves in the foot again! Brendan Nelson, new leader, and Julie Bishop, deputy!! A new pair of dunderheads! ahahahahah ahahahahah
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2007, 10:40:22 PM »
No-one else prepared to take the poisoned chalice.  Being harassed by your own mob for 6 years and being ousted in the last few months before the next possible chance to win.  I can see why there weren't too many volunteers.

Newbs

« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2007, 10:42:24 PM »
Brendan Nelson, new leader, and Julie Bishop, deputy!!
bbbbbbbbbb  While I'm posting this Kerry O'Brien is interviewing Brendan Nelson.   jjjjjjjjjj

Eagle

• Through a Jungian Lens
« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2007, 12:52:45 PM »
Well done, Rudd!

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/story.html?id=b37f3a51-33da-4327-b9e9-a0c8e299753b&k=93765

Australia steals show at Bali climate talks
David Fogarty, Reuters
Published: Monday, December 03, 2007
BALI, Indonesia (Reuters) - Australia won an ovation at the start of U.N.-led climate change talks in Bali on Monday by agreeing to ratify the Kyoto Protocol, isolating the United States as the only developed nation outside the pact.

Soon after an Australian delegate promised immediate action on Kyoto, new Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd took the oath of office and signed documents to ratify, ending his country's long-held opposition to the global climate agreement.

"I think I can speak for all present here by expressing a sigh of relief," conference host and Indonesian Environment Minister Rachmat Witoelar told the conference opening session.

About 190 nations are in Bali seeking a breakthrough for a new global pact to fight climate change by 2009 to avert droughts, heatwaves and rising seas that will hit the poor hardest.

"The world is watching closely," Witoelar told delegates at the December 3-14 meeting trying to bind outsiders led by the United States and China into a long-term U.N.-led fight against warming.

"Climate change is unequivocal and accelerating," he told the opening ceremony in a luxury beach resort on the Indonesian island. "It is becoming increasingly evident that the most severe impacts of climate change will be felt by poor nations."

A new treaty is meant to widen the Kyoto Protocol, which binds 36 industrial countries to cut greenhouse gas emissions by 5 percent below 1990 levels by 2008-12. The United States and developing nations have no caps under Kyoto.

The United States, as the world's top greenhouse gas emitter, has been feeling the heat from developing nations demanding the rich make stronger commitments to curb emissions.

Australia, the world's top coal exporter and among the world's highest per-capita greenhouse gas polluters, has been criticized for years for refusing the ratify Kyoto.

"It was an emotional and spontaneous reaction to a very significant decision to ratify the Kyoto Protocol," Yvo de Boer, head of the U.N. Climate Secretariat, said of the ovation.

The United States was unfazed.

"NO ROAD BLOCKS"

"We respect Australia's decision," Harlan Watson, head of the U.S. delegation, told reporters. "We're not here to be a roadblock. We're committed to a successful conclusion here."

De Boer told delegates rich nations had to agree to axe emissions from burning fossil fuels to encourage poor countries to start braking their own rising emissions.

"Bold action in the north can fuel clean growth in the south," he said, urging a sharing of clean energy technologies such as solar or wind power. "I fervently hope you will make a breakthrough here in Bali by adopting a negotiating agenda."

Others urged caution.

"At the opening ceremonies for the climate talks in Bali, there was lots of good will and optimism, but there is clearly a challenging road ahead," said Angela Anderson, vice president for climate programs at the Washington-based National Environmental Trust.

"Agreements on adaptation, deforestation and technology cooperation must be reached before the high-level officials arrive next week. While all the governments agree in principle, there is significant disagreement on the details."

Climate change talks have been bogged down by arguments over who will pay the bill for cleaner technology and how to share out the burden of emissions curbs between rich and poor nations.

China and India, among the world's top polluters and comprising more than a third of humanity, say it's unfair and unrealistic for them to agree to targets, particularly as they try to lift millions out of poverty.

The European Union, which has pledged to cut emissions by 20 percent below 1990 levels by 2020, said that countries should start to look at hard new commitments in Bali.

“… whatever reality may be, it will to some extent be shaped by the lens
through which we see it.” (James Hollis)