Spring 2011

• 6 replies
Spring 2011
« on: October 08, 2010, 09:08:20 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm new to ESL and new to this forum. I am another recent grad who is not really enthused about my options in the American job market at the moment. My interest in China is learning the language, and gaining valuable experience in the ESL field. I'm not entirely sure that ESL (or education in general) is what I want to do career wise, but it seems like a start. In any case, I would like to have a job in China that will help me land another, better job in the ESL field should I choose to stay in it.  I need to live, but other than that, money is not terribly important to me. Given my priorities I am primarily interested in university positions, but am willing to consider anything that looks like the right city and work schedule. I have a 120-hour in-class TEFL certificate. I have like 8 hours observed practice teaching ESL to small classes of adults. I want to land my first job in Spring 2011, but it's really just a matter of saving up the $$ to move to China. So with all the basic get to know me stuff out of the way my question is: when do the jobs start? It doesn't seem to be as seasonal in China, but is there a time of the year when we can expect to see a huge intake for the spring? I noticed the ads on here look a little dusty ATM (no offense intended). I just don't want to miss out on opportunities because I don't know when/where they are advertised. Thanks to everyone sorry such a long post I just thought I'd give you the scoop on myself and where I'm coming from. From Arizona BTW.

Re: Spring 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:50:43 PM »
Here's a quick primer:

A) Location wise:
- hot and miserable in the south
- hot and miserable in summer, cold and interesting in the middle
- hot and miserable in the short summer, reaaly cold and miserable in the north (that's where I am and I love it!)
- how much "foriegn" interaction do you want?
- how Chinese do you want to be or do you need western creature comforts

B) Schools
- better uni's pay less (they have more to choose from)
- better cities same
- semesters are usually Sep - Jan(ish) and March - July(ish)
- uni's start looking 4 months before class begins. if they don't find all the teachers required, then they search again one week before
- high schools are similar, though better organised
- private schools only hire 365 days a year

C) Searches
- what you find in those searches are usually recruiters and the desparate (but not always)
- there are many agencies that hire and farm you out to schools (again, not necessarily a bad thing if you understand and are okay with it)
- contact the schools directly

D) Contract: many issues
- make sure you read everything first
- if you're not sure of something, ask us (it'll only cost you a beer, lap dance or both)
- there are rules, look up our search page for the procedures (offer letters, visas, etc)

There are many more, happy hunting. I do beleive your lack of experience may hurt your chances at some places, where as you'll be hired at others only because you're American (don't take offence to either)

This forum did a lot to help me when I started out 3 years ago and its only gotten better since.

For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »
Hey thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply. I have been researching teaching ESL for over a year now. So I feel like I have a good handle on the pro's/con's of recruiters and various types of jobs. Also I've read enough horror stories to know what to look for in a bad employer. I guess the problem is that I feel so isolated from the job market, being thousands of miles away from it and all. To answer a couple of your questions though I want to be immersed in Chinese culture as much as possible, but wouldn't mind having some expat friends as well. My only trepidation about going to China is that I'm a picky eater, I don't like eating new things. This will have to change I'm sure. Crappy dirty apartments that lack amenities don't scare me, because thats how I roll here at home. My main query, which I failed to state clearly before, was: where do I find job ads that aren't desperate employers and recruiters. For example, do the job ads on this site get better "in season"? Any sites specifically for universities looking for fresh meat? Once again thank you soo much for your help. Seems to be some really nice people on this forum.

AMonk

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:23:15 AM »
Hello, Kid.  Welcome to the madhouse Saloon. agagagagag

Generally we don't host ads from or about Schools or Unis.  Occasionally someone will ask Raoul to post info about a job placement, but this is not a frequent event.

The Saloon is a meeting place for contentious minds interested laowai folks who care about life in PRC.  Some are "into" education.  Some are not.

Your best move would probably be to look at other sites - like eslteachersboard - which carry lots of advertisements for teachers.  Pick one or three that interest you, then post them here for our Members to look over and make suggestions.  We should be able to help you steer clear of the worst ones.

Good luck. agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 03:08:33 AM »
Hihowaya and welcome to the Saloon. <Barkeeper, get this gentleman something from the good shelf. Not the stuff you give the tourists>
Hmm, where to begin? following the storm-drain of consciousness...
1) I'm going to depart just a bit from accepted wisdom and suggest that, before researching schools, you research locations. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 or 4 cities or areas where you would like to live. Know where you want to be first, then research the unis/colleges/training centres/re-oh-my-f'n-gods-cruiters, agencies and foundation-garment programs in those places.
2)
where do I find job ads that aren't desperate employers and recruiters
ahahahahah   ahahahahah   ahahahahah If you ever find out, let us know your secret.
What has worked for me in the past (kinda, sorta, in a twisted way) is that just digging through the dross you will occaisionally find something of real value. Not a gem, but something workable, something that you can handle without a lot of rectal discomfort. The good jobs I've had I've run into because I knew someone who mentioned to me, "Hey, you should check out these guys. I think you'd be a good fit"
3)
My only trepidation about going to China is that I'm a picky eater, I don't like eating new things.
  ahahahahah   ahahahahah   ahahahahah   ahahahahah   ahahahahah   ahahahahah  What am I laughing about? That was me when I first came here. Still is. Oh, and I get very uncomfortable in crowds as well. You'll do fine.
4) Career planning. Getting a teaching position that is a step above whale shit teaching Oral English can be largely a matter of luck. See 2) above. China doesn't always reward professionalism in her own teachers; it's just not something they seem to value highly here. Furthermore, foreigners don't have a reputation for sticking around. Some of us do though, and a few even find rewarding challenges of the sort you're looking for. If you peruse the teacher's tips section, you'll get a pretty good idea of who some of these people are and what they talk about (besides who is buying the next round). If, after 2 years here, you're stuck in the EFL rut and can't find a better job here, consider taking a job in another country. I hate to discourage anyone, but it's your life, you have to know when to cut bait.

But hey, good hunting.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:06:33 AM »
Thanks to all once again for the warm welcomes and the sage advice.

Narrow it down to 2 or 3 or 4 cities or areas where you would like to live.

In no particular order:

Nanjing- Don't know why, really. I've heard good things in general, Shanghai adjacent (not really but kinda). Starting to get a subway I hear.   

Xi'an- Really interesting place historically. That city wall looks cool. I hear it's a big university town. Cooler climate I think.

Harbin- Great place to learn Mandarin, and the Russian influence makes it seem more interesting to me. Also I grew up in the desert and want to check out Siberia for a while.

Please add more if I haven't perfectly distilled the essence of each city and you feel there's more I should know. ;) Just listing the little perks that make them stand out in my mind.

4) Career planning. Getting a teaching position that is a step above whale shit teaching Oral English can be largely a matter of luck. See 2) above. China doesn't always reward professionalism in her own teachers; it's just not something they seem to value highly here. Furthermore, foreigners don't have a reputation for sticking around. Some of us do though, and a few even find rewarding challenges of the sort you're looking for. If you peruse the teacher's tips section, you'll get a pretty good idea of who some of these people are and what they talk about (besides who is buying the next round). If, after 2 years here, you're stuck in the EFL rut and can't find a better job here, consider taking a job in another country. I hate to discourage anyone, but it's your life, you have to know when to cut bait.

I'd just like to be doing something here that looks good on a resume later on, whether I'm applying for another TEFL position abroad or something else back home. The idea of experience in China leading to TEFL jobs elsewhere is exciting, but we'll just see how I like the job in China first. I'm really doing this because I don't know what I wanna do, I just want it to be weird and challenging.

Ruth

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
I just want it to be weird and challenging.
Keep that attitude and you won't be disappointed.  ahahahahah

Once you do your homework and sift through the ads out there, start sending your info out in mid November.  I know the folks at the uni where I work start gathering resumes in early to mid December.  Then there's a bunch of departments the prospective ones get sent through and final decisions are made in early January so as to be all done before the big Spring Festival holiday break.

Don't worry about ads being old because chances are that someone has left and they have a vacancy, even if a new ad isn't out there. Also, don't wait for an ad to appear.  If a uni appeals to you, send them your info; you never know.

I haven't had to do this, personally, but others who have recommend setting up an email account strictly for this purpose.  Apparently once your info is out there in cyberspace you will get a lot of contact, even years down the road.  Be proactive now and keep future recruiters out of your personal email account.
If you want to walk on water, you have to get out of the boat.