Requesting Info on Shanghai Singapore International Schools

• 18 replies
Requesting Info on Shanghai Singapore International Schools
« on: February 24, 2009, 04:41:40 AM »
I already posted this in the bar, but as I am in something of a rush to get feedback I'm posting it here.

I have an offer to teach at Shanghai Singapore International School in Shanghai proper.  Can anyone share info about this school and their experiences working there?  The job is elementary english.

Re: Requesting Info on Shanghai Singapore International Schools
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 06:32:31 AM »
I am not looking for anything specific.  I have explored options in many different countries.  Shanghai seems to get consistent positive ratings.  I have researched Shanghai (this is where I'd be teaching) and talked to a friend who lived there for two years and a few others.  I personally think it would be exciting in the city, as most of my days are trapped here in suburbia.  I am not a huge partier.  I like to explore and observe.  I don't mind hot and humid.  I hate the cold but can certainly take it.  I am concerned about learning Mandarin and how difficult it may be.  I do hope to travel extensively and would like to know if that's possible on $32K a year after utils--they cover the apt and give a monthly stipend.  Of course I also want a sense of what the expectations are of teachers out there?  How is a newbie viewed?  So far I have found that SSIS is a private school that is based on the Singapore curriculum.  It's comparable to a "an average neighborhood school," whatever that means.  I forget whether public or private is preferable. 

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:54:37 PM »
I do hope to travel extensively and would like to know if that's possible on $32K a year after utils--they cover the apt and give a monthly stipend. 

Is that American dollars? if so that's a little more than 18 000 per month. Most of us here make 5000 - 10 000 per month and have no trouble travelling at least within China.

I don't know the school but you best find out where exactly where it is. It could be a hella long way from the city centre.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:19:36 PM »
I don't know the school but you best find out where exactly where it is. It could be a hella long way from the city centre.

I'd add to this the fact that Shanghai's HUGE. So, keep that in mind, too. I'm talking sprawling.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
  Shanghai seems to get consistent positive ratings.

By a lot of corporate expats, yuppies, and a good number of expats who never lived in any otehr city within China. A few have, but not all. If you want a "western city in China," then you might want to reassess why you are coming here, or look to Hong Kong, which offers a superior quality of life when compared to Shanghai.  Caveat emptor.

I have researched Shanghai (this is where I'd be teaching) and talked to a friend who lived there for two years and a few others.  I personally think it would be exciting in the city, as most of my days are trapped here in suburbia.

Dalian, Xi'an, Wuhan, Qingdao, Changchun, Beijing, Chengdu - cool cities too, and far removed from western suburbia.

I am not a huge partier.  I like to explore and observe.

Well, after a month in Shanghai, all that there is to do is party and explore. After a year, if you were adventurous, I don't think there will be much left to explore in Shanghai.

I don't mind hot and humid.  I hate the cold but can certainly take it.

That's good. Shanghai can get hot and humid and grimey in the summer. In the winter, the humidity can make the cold feel worse than it is.

Give it a shot. If it irks you, you can easily relocate given enough time and planning.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:00:13 PM »
I've removed some posts from this thread.
They started with a misreading and degenerated from there.
In general, if you don't know anything about a given topic, and can't make a meaningful contribution to that topic (even a bit of humor), it's generally best to simply stay out of the topic altogether.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:08:20 PM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:07:19 PM »
Anyway.
I never taught at this school, but I wish I had. It's generally very highly regarded by both locals and expats, and its pay is enviable by any yardstick. If you have the chops and the chance to teach here, consider grabbing it. It's arguably one of the oh, top 5 most prestigious schools in China.

And Shanghai is a nice place, really. It IS expensive, but it offers an abundance of both foreign and Chinese experiences to those who make the effort to get out and look for it. Personally I'd rather live somewhere a bit smaller, like Suzhou, but I did live in Shanghai and I liked it.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:52:58 PM »
So what ARE the quals to teach here? Any teaching degree? Haven't seen any ads for the school myself. Wonder if my MA next year would get me in (no teaching quals here)?
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

AMonk

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 12:21:46 AM »
They don't advertise...don't need to.  I found them by accident when looking for Schools (there is a branch in Suzhou, now).  If memory serves me, they want UK/Oz-trained teachers with "proper" Degree - Bachelor at least in relevant Subject(s) - for "proper" lessons, using the Singapore curriculum.  You will be earning your pay.
Moderation....in most things...

Monkey King

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:00:58 AM »
Some international schools (dunno about SSIS) have different requirements for their EFL/ESL teachers - i.e. you may be able to get in without a B.Ed if you have relevant TESOL quals and experience.  However, expect to get paid less than the subject teachers (yet work just as hard or harder).

There are also different tiers of international schools.  Some 'proper' international schools in more provincial cities can still often find it hard to recruit enough teachers, and may bend the rules a little occasionally. 

Then there are also 'international schools' that cater mainly to Korean and Taiwanese kids...I knew a guy teaching Geography and ESL at one of these, and getting paid pretty well, with little more than a CELTA and (unrelated) Bachelor degree.

Just throwing that in there - sorry if I have gone too far off topic.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:51:13 PM by MK »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:43:17 AM »
My impression of SSIS from my Shanghai days indicated that it truly is top-drawer...a real teaching credential and experience required to even be considered for it. They indeed do not advertise a lot; good teachers tend to come to them...

Monkey King

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »
Oops, I wasn't casting doubt on SSIS, just broadening the discussion a bit after becster's post 'cos I have met some teachers who have got into the International school ESL/EFL bit without a B.Ed.

Anyway, their website is pretty spiffy and does indicate a top drawer school. Application details can be found here.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 09:06:41 PM »
Hey, good healthy caution is a wonderful thing. A lot of "international schools" are jokes...they have the astronomical tuition, but not the quality or the standards or the prestige. But SSIS, as near as I could tell, really is The Real Thing. bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 01:44:28 AM »
They don't advertise...don't need to.  I found them by accident when looking for Schools (there is a branch in Suzhou, now).  If memory serves me, they want UK/Oz-trained teachers with "proper" Degree - Bachelor at least in relevant Subject(s) - for "proper" lessons, using the Singapore curriculum.  You will be earning your pay.

I am the Head of the Primary School at the Xuhui campus of the Shanghai Singapore International School.

A few points to clarify.

1. We do not have a branch in Suzhou. The school in Suzhou is Singapore in name only, as it runs the IB programme totally, without using the Singaporean curriculum at all.

2. We hire teachers from all over the world, not just UK/Aus. We have US citizens, Canadians, New Zealanders and Filipinos augmenting our Singaporean teachers (the last of which accounted for 40% of staff).

3. Yes, we do require a Bachelor's, preferably in Education, or else at least backed up by a TESL/TEFL certification, with at least 3 years of teaching experience.
Michael Chan
MLT, Dip Ed, Dip EC, MY0303, MM0103
Thoughts on Education and Life: http://www.senseimichael.com
Linkedin Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stmichael

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 01:49:40 AM »
So what ARE the quals to teach here? Any teaching degree? Haven't seen any ads for the school myself. Wonder if my MA next year would get me in (no teaching quals here)?

We seldom put out advertising as we hire at international school recruiting fairs. We are a "proper" international school, not some language school. That said, we do put out advertisements on local expat forums and magazines, when we have teachers who have to suddenly leave (emergencies at home, homesickness, pregnancy, etc - yes, teachers are human too).

You need teaching qualifications. Shanghai is quite "lax" in this - a TESL/TEFL will do. In addition, you would need 3 years of relevant teaching experience, or the Shanghai Education Bureau will not issue you with your Expert Certificate. Which means you cannot work legally as a teacher here. "Illegally" is another story though, and my school will not venture into such murky waters. :D
Michael Chan
MLT, Dip Ed, Dip EC, MY0303, MM0103
Thoughts on Education and Life: http://www.senseimichael.com
Linkedin Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stmichael