and contacted me.

Job details here http://www.teachcn.com/school/187/ sound reasonable. 8000
plus housing & airfare.

For that matter, anyone got comments on Nanjing? I've been there and liked
the little I saw, and it is central -- nearer Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou
and Xi'an than where I am in Fujian -- and a big city. All of that appeals,
but I've heard the climate is extreme and worry about pollution in any big
Chinese city.
Who put a stop payment on my reality check?

Re: Jiangsu College for International Education, Nanjing
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:08:28 PM »
I only visited Nanjing once in 2002 for a couple of days. It seemed nice. Warm weather, good shopping. I think the majority of expats are students. Or at least it was like that in 2002.

Newbs

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 09:22:05 PM »
Can't help you with the College but I've lived in Nanjing for short periods, although the last time was 2002.  IMHO its one of the underrated cities of China.  Just about on a par with Hangzhou in terms of nice places to live.  Heard a few negatives about the educational authorities in Jiangsu but.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 12:59:49 AM »
This is a foundation program (aka "Lifestyles Of The Rich and Stupid"). Its intent, in theory, is to help prepare Chinese students to study abroad. That's about all I know of this particular school.

In practice, these places are generally pretty awful. They attract those who couldn't pass the post-high school exams that would let them go to a real school, but who have daddies rich enough to just buy them into something else. Grades are sold like pounds of rice and are pretty much meaningless. Applicant screenings and standards are a joke. You tend to end up with big classes full of totally unmotivated punks with zero study skills, who don't speak English anywhere nearly well enough to cope with you or the subjects you try to teach. Teaching English in these places can be sort of borderline okay, if extremely labor intensive. Teaching "hard" major-track classes is utterly demoralizing.

They do tend to pay well. Personally, it's not enough for the mob control, endless grading, and general prostitution usually required.

Every foundation school I've taught in did have a very few real students...people who realized that they were about on their last chance, and made the effort to reform themselves into good students. It was these few that at least kept me from tying a trash bag over my head and jumping into the canal.

Nanjing, at least, is a nice place. Not as nice as Suzhou, mind you, but nice. Good nightlife scene, and good access to Suzhou and Shanghai. Nanjing is the place where backward unwashed slack-jawed agricultural Northern Jiangsu intersects with nouveau-riche greedy corrupt industrial Southern Jiangsu, so you get a bit of everything here. All in all, though, a very livable city.

PS- you heard right about the Education people in Jiangsu. Corrupt incompetent baijiu-swilling buttheads, even by China standards.  aoaoaoaoao
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)