NDI (New Dynamic Institute)

• 12 replies

dasein

• Great Job!
NDI (New Dynamic Institute)
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:21:06 AM »
Does anyone know anything about NDI training centers? There are seven in Wuhan and two in Suzhou. Also, any dirt on China-Australia College, Zhengzhou? Thanks.  agagagagag
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:34:18 AM by Raoul Duke »

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
Re: NDI (New Dynamic Institute)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
I've been to one of the NDIs (New Dynamic Institute) in Suzhou. Your basic vanilla private training center. They don't seem to offer a particularly good deal, but don't recall enough specifics to quote. I do remember seeing a lot of their current teachers...a distinguished cast of wankers that had already been kicked out of most other schools here.
Some of whom I've described in the "Laowai You'd Like To Send Back Home By Catapult" thread... aoaoaoaoao

I think the upshot seems to be that if they'll offer you a deal worth taking, you're pretty much taking the same chance you are in most similar jobs...some are OK and some are probably dreadful, and little way to know which you're getting in advance.

Do take a VERY careful look at the contract. We're happy to advise on it if you'd like us to.
And...do make sure they can offer you a legit residence permit. I'm not at all sure all these schools can do that; the one I know of tries to get as many part-timers as possible. Of course, you really want to nail down a job that will give you permits FIRST. After that you can take on part-time stuff as your schedule and ambition allow. This has always been true; with the new visa panic it's become frightfully important...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:33:53 AM by Raoul Duke »
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

dasein

• Great Job!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
Thanks, Raoul.  bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 12:43:59 AM »
I hope I got to you in time.  NDI has been the worse place that I have worked in China and now comes my story.  First I came to their new training center in Beilun (close to Ningbo, Zhejiang province) where I had been on a travel visa over the summer.  Before deciding to go to teach there, I asked their foreign affairs guy, Phillip, if he would have any trouble arranging my visa and said that me working there was contingent on it.  He of course lied and said no problem, we can get it for you easily, don't worry.

Anyway, I go on working there for a month.  My visa situation hasn't been solved and was coming close to expiring.  I said what is going on and why have you waited so long.  They told me, don't worry it is being handled, everything will be fine (phillip again).  So again, stupidly being a trusting person, I believed them.  Finally, about a week before my visa expires they come to me and say we can't do what we said we could do.  I said OK, I am done teaching here.  I need to find a new job and a place to live.  You need to pay me what you owe me and I would like you to say thanks for screwing up my life.

Now, after I quit, the other teachers that are working there are nervous.  They decide to quit before the same thing happens to them.  The school blames me for it and this Phillip fellow, calls the police and says that I am a bad foreigner and borrowed money from a family member in Ningbo.  They did this to spite me, though it seems that the 20k Yuan I have lost due to this ordeal hasn't been spite enough for them.  This of course was a bold face lie and was meant to ruine my reputation and give me further problems.  He also found out where the new position that I have obtained and told the police where that was as well.  So the police called my new job, before I even started working there and said that I am a shady individual.  This of course is all totally untrue and fabricated.  This was just a malicious evil thing to do because they some how felt that it was my fault that their teachers were leaving.  Afterall, why else would they leave?  Of course they left because they are afraid.  Of course they left because they are afraid of their passport and visa status.  And of course they left because of the mounds of other problems we had prior: being paid late, swing schedules, trying to force things that aren't in the contract, and new to the box; slander and deformation of character.

I have reported their school to the police as being unlicensed and some of the practices that they have participated in.  I sincerely doubt that anything will be done what-so-ever.  In China, justice is only available to those who have enough money to bribe the cops.  The legal system here isn't exactly fair.  It is as fair as you can afford it to be.  But at anyrate, maybe a cop will poke his head in and start asking them for bribes and give them something to sweat about.

In the end, they forced me out of my apartment after laying me off, leaving me with little money and means to move and start my life over.  Many of their facilities are not licensed and have some backdoor sort of practices to obtain teachers in unlicensed schools.  Don't go to NDI.  Actually, I would pretty much warn you off training centers period.  The money is tempting but it isn't worth the hassle.  You will get yourself in a lot of trouble.  I found this out after the fact but learn from my mistakes.  Work for the public sector.  God knows people don't come to China to make money, if you want to be rich, go back to where your from, you won't be able to be rich as a teacher in China.  Anyway, I hope this advice reaches a few peeps. 

Trevor

technolust

• Banana
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »
Now I know why I was chased down the street in Beilun by three young women from NDI eager to hire foreign teachers. I thought for a minute that they had a keen eye for the sophistication and professionalism that is so much a part of my nature. The running and shouting gave away that desperation drove them more than anything.
Working for the man, so you don't have to!

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:04:01 PM »
New local accounts also are starting to paint a very clear picture that these schools are best avoided. All KINDS of trubba coming from them.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 04:45:22 AM »
Kind of reviving a zombie thread here, but as I am close to getting a job at this place I figure I may as well ask.

While I am far more skeptical now, the situation offered to me is a little bit different.

A big problem I saw was visa related, and after reading countless review threads and whatnot on this board, (which is filled with invaluable information on all fronts.) I specifically ask about Visas/Permits/Etc when applying. In the original job posting, and in the e-mails when I asked, they have told me they will reimburse the fees for things related to the residence permit.  Also, the school in question is in Wuhan, as opposed to Beilun... but knows how high up the corruption goes.

Should I just shut it down immediately, or wait ill I actually see the contract?

BrandeX

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »
Just got sent a contract from NDI here in Guangzhou, I'm tempted to just turn it down off the bat apparently the salary is 6000 a month with chance at raise later after trial + a 4000 a month (huh? that's unusual) housing allowance. oh and this was sent to me by some agent I don't know but he is cutting 1000 per month of the top.

EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT
NEW DYNAMIC INSTITUTE

nly English Internationalicate.Day The parties to this contract are New Dynamic Institute – herein called “the Employer” or “Party A”  
and ___________________________________________herein called “the Employee” or “Party B”

Nationality: ___ ____________________________________________________
Passport Number: ____________
Passport Issued At: __________
Passport Issue Date: ____________
Passport Expiration Date: ___________
Date of Birth: _______________
Permanent Current Address:
   Street: ___
   City: __________________________________________________
   State/Province: ____
Phone Number: _______    
Fax Number: _____________________________________________________

have agreed on the following terms of contract:

Title:
The Title of the Employee is “ESL Teacher”.  

Term:
The term of this contract is one year commencing __ and continuing until ____
2010 subject, however, to prior termination of the Employee’s employment in accordance with the section
titled “termination”.

The Employee will be subject to a three-month probation period during which his contract may be terminated in accordance with the section titled “termination”.

Duties
The duties to be performed by the Employee include:
1.Teaching ESL--- English as a Second Language.
2.Lesson planning and preparation as well as curriculum development.
3.Supervising test and exams and giving level tests.
4.Assisting with administration including intake and placement of students and recording attendance.
5.Counseling students
6.Participating in the school’s social program including Extra Curricular Activities (ECA’s)
7.Participating in Employee training programs and workshops organized by the school
8.Participating at promotional and marketing activities organized by the school
9.Attending all scheduled meetings where his/her presence is required.
10.Other tasks assigned by the Academic Department and Center Director in his/her working hours.

Employee’s Obligation

The Employee warrants as follow:
1.The statement in the Employee’s curriculum vitae, resume and references together with any other information submitted to the Employer in support of the Employee’s application for employment are true and not misleading in any way.   
2.The Employee is of sound mind and in good physical health.
3.The Employee will devote his full working time and attention to the duties of his employment.
4.The Employee will perform the duties of his employment in a professional and diligent manner.
5.The Employee will obey the written and/or verbal orders and directions of the school’s management.
6.The Employee will at all times comply with the terms and conditions of this agreement and the rules and regulations of the Employer in effect from time to time including the provisions in the Employee’s Handbook where applicable.
7.The Employee must, at all times, comply with the laws of the PRC.
8.The Employee must not harm the image of the Employer or fellow workers by his/her conduct.
9.The Employer has the right to appoint the Employee to work in other branch schools.

Remuneration

The Employee’s remuneration will consist of the following:

Salary

A before tax salary of    RMB per month will be paid by Party A to Party B on the 15th of each month for the first three months of employment. Upon satisfactory completion of three months of employment, a before tax salary of     RMB per month will be paid each month. For each contact training hour taught over 108 contact training hours per calendar month, Party B shall be paid a before tax rate of  125RMB per hour as overtime allowance.  

Housing allowance

Party A will provide a monthly housing allowance of 4,000RMB to Party B which is settled each month. In the case of first and last month of employment, the housing allowance should cover the actual days of the employment of that month. Payment will be made on the 15th of the next month upon the receipt of the proper government housing invoice provided by Party B before 10th of the current month.
Party A won’t be responsible for any case caused by Party B who gives wrong information of his account or any delay caused by the bank.

Any unused housing allowance will be paid to Party B as before tax income.

Bonus

Contract Completion Bonus: [applies to contract renewal]:   
A before tax bonus of 5,000 RMB will be paid to Party B upon the renewal of a 2nd year contract.

Demo Class Bonus:
A before tax bonus of 60 RMB / student will be paid to Party B upon the registration of new students.

Working Hours

Working hours per week are 40 hours, which including 25 classroom contact hours. Other office hours are allocated to class preparation, placement tests, student consultation, school/department meetings and other school activities.

Taxes

The basic salary as referred to in section titled “remuneration” is before tax, the Employee is therefore responsible for the payment of local taxes in China and in his/her country if applicable. However, according to the laws in PRC, the employer deducts the income tax from the salary for the employee every month.

Holidays

The Employee will be given all statutory holidays as paid holiday. Those holidays are National Day, New Year’s Day, Spring Festival, Labor Day, Tomb-sweeping Day, Dragon Boat Festival, National Day and Mid-Autumn Day.
In addition the Employee will be granted a 1-day paid holiday for Christmas Day.
The above statutory holidays shouldn’t be counted as part of the employment term for any employee whose service days are less than 1 month.

For a 2nd year contract, Party B is entitled to 5 working days (1 working week) paid annual leave per full year contract. Annual leave should be taken during the contract period. Unused annual leave will not be paid to Party B and cannot be accumulated to the next employment period should contract renewed.  .  

Two weeks written notice must be given to the Academic Supervisor requesting leave.  This request is subject to the authorization of the Center Director.  Approval must be obtained before the vacation may be taken.  

Sick leave and Emergency Leave

1.The Employee is allowed 2 sick days without deduction of salary during the period of employment referred to in the section titled “Term”. Extra sick days are not paid and the Employer reserves the right to deduct an amount from the Employee’s salary for each additional day that the Employee is absent from work. This amount should be prorated to the total number of teaching hours the Employee has not worked.
2. All leave (sick, emergency, personal, and vacation) must be authorized by the Center Director.
3.All sick leaves must be supported by a doctor’s certificate and diagnostic report. In the event of sickness, notification must be given to the Center Director as far in advance as possible, at least two hours before class is scheduled to begin. Failure to notify in a timely manner will result in the loss of two days pay and a written warning. Failure to notify except in the case of catastrophic injury will result in immediate dismissal.
4.Emergency, personal, and annual leave will be addressed by the Center Director on an individual basis.
5.Should the Employee be diagnosed as not capable of resuming work after a 30 days consecutive sick leave, the Employer reserves the right to terminate the contract has stated in the section titled termination, unless the illness is proven to be in direct relation with the work performed by the Employee.

Attendance

1.In no circumstances should a teacher be late for class. Failure to arrive on time will be result in a verbal warning and a 50RMB Penalty for the first offense; subsequent offenses will result in written warning and a 100RMB Penalty and dismissal.
2.In no circumstances should a teacher leave class earlier than scheduled. Failure to complete a class will result in a verbal warning for the first offence and a 50RMB Penalty; subsequent offenses will result in written warning and a 100RMB Penalty and dismissal.
3.Classroom schedule changes with other teachers should be arranged by the Academic Supervisor. Failure to do so will result in a written warning for the first time offense.
4.Teachers would be considered to be absent from work under any of the following circumstances:
1) Leave without approval
2) Extending holidays without permission from the Center Director
3) Absent with no reason
Absent from work for one day will result in the loss of two days payment and a verbal warning. Serious misconduct may result in immediate dismissal.

Dress Code

1.Teachers are expected to dress in a smart and professional manner.
2.Trousers/skirts (not jeans or shorts), shirts/blouses/sweaters (not T-shirts or sweat shirts), shoes (not beach sandals or tennis shoes), and neckties for males are minimum dress standards when teaching.

Professional Conduct

1.Never have anything beyond a professional relationship with a student.
2.Never have an intimate relationship with a colleague, which may disrupt the company’s professional operations or integrity.
3.Never use or be under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or any illegal substances during working hours.
4.Never bring alcohol, drugs, or any illegal substances on school premises.
5.Never direct foul or offensive language at a student or colleague.  
6.Never accept pay for tutoring a pupil in any subject in which you are responsible for giving classroom instruction to that pupil.
7.Never undermine the confidence of students in other teachers.  
8.Never take, because of animosity or for personal advantage, any steps to secure the dismissal of another teacher.  
9.Never knowingly act in a manner, which may cause offense to local custom and/or law.
10.Never provide materials or textbooks in the classroom without prior approval of the Principal.
11.Never attempt to influence students to agree with a particular system of political or religious beliefs.

Termination

1.During the probation period, both parties may cancel this agreement without any severance
benefits in accordance to the following:
The Employer is required to 7 working days in advance by notice in writing to the Employee
The Employee is required to 7 working days in advance by notice in writing to the Employer
In case of dissatisfaction on the part of A with the performance of B, the period of probation may be extended, or Party B may be dismissed without recourse.

2.   After the probation period, either Party wishes to terminate the contract before the agreed date is required to one month in advance by notice in writing to the other party

The Employer reserves the right to terminate the Employee’s employment without any severance benefits in the following circumstances:
1.No shows and/or no calls.
2.Accusation and/or conviction of committing a criminal act.
3.Physical abuse of students or colleagues.
4.Willful disobeys a lawful and reasonable order of the Employer
5.Is guilty of fraud, dishonesty or has made a false statement in the Employees application for employment
6.The Employee brings the school into disrepute by his/her conduct
7.The Employee breaches the confidentiality clause as referred to in section “confidentiality”
8.If the Employee is guilty of dereliction of duty, incompetence, insubordination, dishonesty or other breaches of the Employee’s obligations under this agreement or the rules and regulation of the school.
9.The Employee has been complained by the students about his/her teaching quality for three times within two months.
10.The Employee has been diagnosed not capable of resuming work after 30 days consecutive sick leave.
11.In the unlikely event of a disaster such as earthquake, fire, flood, civil unrest, etc. that would make the Employer unable to continue operating business, the contract will be considered nil and the Employee will be under no obligation to stay.

Confidentiality

Employee will keep all information about New Dynamic Institute teaching/consulting/training methods, systems, and materials confidential, including all administration procedures and operations of the New Dynamic Institute.
The Employee will not disclose details of his/her contract.
The Employee will not use the Employer’s teaching method and materials in the instruction of any private student and/or with another Employer.
The obligation of the Employee concerning the section titled “confidentiality” will survive the termination of this agreement.

Other Employment

The Employee warrants that as long as he/she is employed by the Employer, he/she will not carry on or be employed or concerned in any business, whether directly or indirectly, if that business is similar to or in competition with any part of the Employer’s business.

General

This contract will be interpreted in accordance with and is subject to the laws of PRC. The parties submit irrevocably to the jurisdiction of the courts of the PRC in respect of any dispute relating to or concerning this contract.
The terms and conditions of this contract prevail over any conflicting or inconsistent provisions of the Employer’s rules and regulation in effect at any time. This contract is effective immediately and supersedes any prior agreements, understandings or representations relating to or concerning the Employee’s employment by the Employer.
Should the Employee desire to renew this contract, he/she should formally make the request no later than a month prior the termination date of this contract
Each party will receive a signed copy of this contract. Both versions are identical and equal in the eyes of the law. The Employee acknowledges receipt of a copy of this contract.

The Employer:
New Dynamic Institute
The Employee

Employer’s Signature:
Employee’s Signature:

Date:
Date:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:01:55 PM by BrandeX »

AMonk

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 11:08:47 PM »
First time I've seen a place for such detailed personal information to be included in a contract aoaoaoaoao bibibibibi

I don't specially care for the "ECA" or "counselling" or "promotional" stuff or being sent to other places, neither. 

AND I certainly do not like the 108 working hours per month (27hrs/week).
Moderation....in most things...

harry_aus

• "woof!"
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 02:50:32 AM »
Did you take a look at the other place? (no, NOT ravin' Daves!!)
http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/review/index.pl?read=27715

I personally don't know anything about NDI, however NDI Wuhan, et al,
has a long and 'colorful' series of threads in there. Of course
I can't endorse/confirm, or refute any of the comments you'll see in there.
But maybe one or two of those people should be able to give you some objective
info?

Schnerby

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 02:04:55 AM »
10.Never provide materials or textbooks in the classroom without prior approval of the Principal.

No! Those flashcards are unauthorised! Get them out of the classroom!  ahahahahah ahahahahah

AMonk

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »
*bump*

Apparently this Company is still up and running, with no improvement to their performance or treatment of teachers.  I've just recently had contact with one of their burnt victims.  Not a happy tale kkkkkkkkkk

Best advice?  AVOID them!!
Moderation....in most things...

BrandeX

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 04:39:36 PM »
BTW in case anyone has ever heard of this other name, "Linguaphone", is now NDI.