Zhejiang University of Technology ZJUT

• 11 replies

larksong

• I am an open book that no one knows how to read.
Zhejiang University of Technology ZJUT
« on: March 16, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
I'm in the contract negotiation stage of things with ZJUT, and figured I oughta ask if they're as good as they seem. After all, there's plenty of time to find something else if they're not. They said all the right things during the phone interview, including allowing my dog and the research project I want to do. My Chinese professor here (in Baltimore) praised the school, but his perspective isn't going to be quite the same.

Anyone got two cents? It would be greatly appreciated.  bjbjbjbjbj

Lark

AMonk

Re: Zhejiang University of Technology ZJUT
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
If you can, get the contact info for present and past teachers.  Talk to them.  Whilst the present ones may colour their replies, past employees (probably) won't.
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:04:10 AM »
I know a couple of teachers who have brought pets to China.

Make sure that you check with the US Govt on the documentation and vaccinations you require to bring a pet into China (or other countries too)! You may also have to re-vaccinate the pet before you can return to the USA. 

Also, check on your arrival city.  Some cities may require you to leave the pet in quarantine for a while - other cities won't.  Dalian for instance required the pet to be kept at home for a few weeks before being allowed outside to 'meet' other dogs.  They also made a home visit to see the dog's bed etc. 

Also, you will need to register the pet with the police in China and get a 'dog' or 'cat' passport with the pet's picture in it. 

Also, in some cities, the landlord may or may not allow you to own a pet.  You don't want to arrive and find out that you can't keep your dog in your apartment.

You need to check with the airlines as well regarding the regulations on bringing the dog on their aircraft.  Below a certain weight, some airlines allow your dog/cat to be in the cabin with you in a soft carry-on.  Over that weight they must go in the baggage compartment.  One friend had to ship the dogs on a separate aircraft requiring him to go back to the airport a day later to get his pet.

Good Luck   agagagagag agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

larksong

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:00:57 AM »

You need to check with the airlines as well regarding the regulations on bringing the dog on their aircraft.  Below a certain weight, some airlines allow your dog/cat to be in the cabin with you in a soft carry-on.  Over that weight they must go in the baggage compartment.  One friend had to ship the dogs on a separate aircraft requiring him to go back to the airport a day later to get his pet.

He's a 28 kg Lab. I'm in the process of training him as a service dog so he can ride in the cabin with me. I could just go with an agency that will "certify" him, sight unseen, which is a scam against airlines and businesses so dogs can accompany their owners. However, I have minor balance issues, so it wouldn't hurt to have a dog trained to help me up when I fall--or even prevent it. And if I tried to pass him off as a service dog, he'd still need the training to deal with crowds at an airport, the harness, and the plane itself. I may as well do it legitimately.

BTW, the housing is University-owned, and having him there is not a problem. One condition of getting to the contract negotiation stage! And Shanghai, where I'll enter the country, has a reputation for being the best port of entry for pets.

Yeah, I'm nothing if not thorough! :)

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
Please do an online search for information on large dogs in China.  There have been problems in the past with them.  Also, it is almost impossible to take a bus or train in China with a pet.  Also, large dogs have been killed in parts of China, by police etc as they are afraid of them.  They can also be kidnapped and eaten.  Dog is a dish served in many restaurants.

Last I heard, service dogs don't 'legally' exist in China, at least not as far as police or public officials are concerned. Shanghai and Dalian appear to be an exception, (sorta)   I want you to be aware of the discrimination that exists in China. I looked up a few examples for you.

http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/news_china/2011-06-08/no-access-for-guide-dogs-in-china-more-challenges-for-the-blind-.html

http://shanghaiist.com/2008/09/18/time_is_up_for_chinese_guide_dogs.php

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2011-11/14/content_14087734.htm
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
When you get to Hangzhou, send me a pm, Lark. We have a dog too, so we can tell you where to go to get you pooch officially registered. It is actually something the law demands and you get like a doggie passport.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:04:23 AM »
Hi Larksong,

I'd just like to stress that (tell me if I'm wrong) the campus you will be living in is in Xiasha, which isn't really in Hangzhou.

See my quote from a previous thread

' xiasha is a dull suburb, nothing more nothing less. not a horrible place, but it's a good 2 hours onthe public transport from hangzhou city center, and therefore, not really in the same city.

Hangzhou is wonderful. Xiasha is dull dull dull. '

so, be forewarned. I recommend you start googling (and try the search function here too) Xiasha, not Hangzhou, as that's where you'll be living. Hangzhou will be a weekend/daytrip for you, not where you'll be living.

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »
Now, now, Fuzz, that  is not necessarily true. I have met many FT's in Hangzhou who live in Normal Hangzhou....Hangzhou...normal...in the same sentence ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah and they commute every morning...which they have assured me blows, blows, blows....
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

larksong

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:09:27 PM »
I know you all mean well, but there are several schools with similar names, especially to us English-speakers. There's ZU, ZJUT, ZUST, ZSTU, etc. ad nauseum. I've googled till my fingers were raw and bloody, and I'm convinced that the person from the FAO's office that I spoke with was correct when she told me that the accommodations were across the street from the downtown campus and a 45 minute ride from the "west campus." And if I'm wrong and screwed, well, I'm coming with a bead loom and crochet hooks. I can manage to live in a cultural dessert!

I do appreciate y'all looking out for me, though!

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »
hi again Larksong,

fair enough. If you want me to check further for you, try and find the Chinese name and paste it into the thread and I'll/we'll do some looking for you.

and anyways, Xiasha ain't so bad really.  ahahahahah
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
Well, Larksong, have you tried the simple approach, namely asking FAO chap if you would ever be supposed to go to Xiasha? Also bear in mind that the Chinese are a bit...errr...odd when it comes to explaining time and distances....45 minutes as the speedy crow flies can also be 2 hours as the slow Chinese traffic moves... agagagagag agagagagag

larksong

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 12:55:38 PM »
Since I last posted, I've been in touch with an American teacher at ZJUT. Everything is just as I was told in terms of accommodations and campuses. It sounds lovely. At IMUST, in Baotou, I had to deal with a rigid curriculum and even more rigid overseers, although I found ways to get around it and them that they never imagined! This school seems to err the other way, with guidelines for a curriculum, and then diy. I love writing my own stuff, so we should get along fine.

Still negotiating a couple of points. I added a paragraph about my research and 'intellectual property'. I assume we'll iron it all out, and then I can start packing my stuff to go into storage. And sell the house. Ugh! Anyone want a 92 year old Arts and Crafts bungalow in Baltimore? Only 2 owners!  afafafafaf