Aussies needed

• 44 replies

Shroomy

Aussies needed
« on: May 22, 2008, 06:51:02 PM »
I have just picked up a new class full of doctors and medical researchers who are headed out of the country for 3 - 12 months.  Many are going to the US, but a lot are going to Australia.  I have been asked to teach them medical terminology in English, hospital culture and patient conversation - IN 24 TEACHING HOURS OF LESSONS!!  bibibibibi

It's not that I couldn't do it if I had a year, but on one part I need help.

I know what Americans are likely to call certain areas of their bodies when talking to medical staff.  What do Australians say?

For example:

Breasts:
A. Shy older lady: "bust"
B. Average woman: "breast"
C. Less educated: "tits or boobs"

I need colloquialisms for the obvious, breasts, buttocks, vagina, penis, and scrotum so they won't be totally flummoxed.

Also, I call a catheter in the vein in my arm attached to fluid an "IV".  What do you call it?

If a nurse sticks a needle in my butt and injects pain medicine it's a "shot".

I'm serious.  Please help.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

Re: Aussies needed
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »
Hi Shroomy,

I can't help too much with all the colloquialisms, though I assume they would be almost the same as America. I avoid hospitals unless I'm dying, sorry!

However, if you can, you might like to get hold of a copy or two of the Aussie medical show 'All Saints', particularly the last few seasons. It's our version of America's ER only more gritty, and some great characters! You want to see Frank Campion in action- he's the head of the ER department, the med world's Gordon Ramsey!, and Dr Vlasek...I have a friend in nursing in Oz and she's shocked just how spot on the show is!

Hopefully someone else can help with the terminology...
10 easy steps to stop procrastination.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 07:34:25 PM »
An IV is an IV - no problems on that one.  Buttocks either buttocks or bottom; breast will usually cover all, but very elderly ladies - ie 90+ bust or bosom, and the ignorant - boobs, tits.

Vagina; for the elderly again - private parts, for the uncultured any variation of that commonly heard in rap songs, for the mildly educated vagina.

For fellas - penis for 99% of the population - old men - John Henry, old fella etc, for the young boys with no education dick/prick etc.  Scrotum again for 80% of the population, ball bag for the rest.

We generally have 'needles' when you are shoving stuff into us, but most will also understand 'shot'.

Shroomy

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 07:45:52 PM »
Thanks, that's what I needed. 

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 08:02:37 PM »

the ignorant - boobs, tits.

Bit unfair isn't. Just because some uses the term 'boob' or 'tit' doesn't make them uneducated nor ignorant. Perhaps crass.

We are talking about Australians are we not.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 10:39:03 PM »
The OP gave the criteria! ahahahahah I merely followed her terminology - specifically so that her students would be able to use terms groups would understand. And given that she is a USAnian, and has clearly come across this problem - and so chooses to teach the appropriate words for different groups to both USA bound students and Oz bound - it is not just Aussies who are 'crass'. cbcbcbcbcb cbcbcbcbcb

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »
Oh, well then. I apologise. My mistake.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
  • "Be specific if you order the mushrooms!"
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 11:01:48 PM »
Not sure there was one. The terms given are appropriate for the situation and the explanation covers them, but the accompanying characterizations.....?

But then, we are  talking about Australians, I suppose. ahahahahah
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

"Here in China we aren't just teaching...
we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 11:10:23 PM »
know what Americans are likely to call certain areas of their bodies when talking to medical staff.  What do Australians say?

For example:

Breasts:
A. Shy older lady: "bust"
B. Average woman: "breast"

I have the distinct feeling that you two fellas in particular are concerned that by your terminology usage you will be considered 'less educated'.  There is an air of 'doth protesteth too much" floating around! axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax axaxaxaxax

By your own words shall ye be known.

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »
Don't think so. I know better, and can easily demonstrate when required. I don't seem to suffer from the "penis envy"-type afflictions. Objecting to broad-stroke (and rather condescending) classifications of people into intrinsically inferior strata doesn't in any way indicate that we do.
Stil and I can't really be popped into an intrinsically lower stratum, either.
"Vicodin and dumplings...it's a great combination!" (Anthony Bourdain, in Harbin)

we're building the corrupt, incompetent, baijiu-swilling buttheads of tomorrow!" (Raoul F. Duke)

Shroomy

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 11:41:44 PM »
So sorry to have offended your delicate sensibilities guys.  How would you label the group who refer to tits or boobs or ball bags while talking to a stranger in a formal setting?  I assume they don't know any more formal terms.  How do you account for the phenomenon?

Schnerby

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 12:12:55 AM »
When I get an 'IV' it is called a 'drip'.
ie. The doctor put me on a drip.

IV would be understood of course but it's just not used normally.

'Green whistles'/'green sticks' are green plastic sticks filled with pethadine containing powder the ambo gives you to make the pain go away.

Actually 'ambo' is probably an Aussie term too.

Might be worth teaching 'I'm feeling crook'

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 12:26:11 AM »
Surely all are are saying is that the uneducated don't learn the formal terminology.  We are not the ones making ASSUMPTIONS about the value of people determined by the level of their eduction!!  You are the ones adding that layer of assumption.
uneducated

• adjective poorly educated.
gnorant

• adjective 1 lacking knowledge or awareness in general. 2 (often ignorant of) uninformed about or unaware of a specific subject or fact.

And it was Stil who decided that Aussies were "crass" clearly perjorative.

crass

• adjective grossly insensitive and unintelligent.

And twice Australians were commented upon negatively.

I agree with drip, ambo and crook. ahahahahah

Raoul F. Duke

• Lovable Rogue
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 01:38:41 AM »
Jesus. Whatever.
I should have realized that this was the positive, sensitive, complementary sense of the term "ignorant". bibibibibi
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:43:49 AM by Raoul Duke »

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 01:49:20 AM »
How would you label the group who refer to tits or boobs or ball bags while talking to a stranger in a formal setting?  I assume they don't know any more formal terms.  How do you account for the phenomenon?

A woman sees a Doctor and says "Doc, my boobs hurt"

How would you label the group who assumes this lady doesn't know the word breasts?