Chinese Chinese Lunar Lunar year year

• 0 replies

xwarrior

Chinese Chinese Lunar Lunar year year
« on: December 31, 2011, 03:51:32 AM »
Just when I thought I had some understanding of China's lunar calendar I came across this:

[quote]Double Dragon: Next Chinese lunar year to have 'two springs'

Chinese New Year is right around the corner and according to Chinese tradition, it will be a Dragon year that will be notable for having "two springs" and a "leap April."

There are 24 solar terms in the Chinese lunar calendar. A report from China Economic Net pointed out that there are 365 days in 2011 according to the Gregorian calendar, while there are only 354 days in the current Chinese Year of the Rabbit. The next Chinese lunar year, which usually starts in February, will therefore begin earlier next year on Jan. 23.

Moreover, according to the Chinese lunar calender, there will be a leap April, which means a total of 13 months (384 days) and 25 solar terms in the Dragon year. Notably, the "start of spring" will occur twice: once at the beginning of the year (Feb. 4), and the otherat in the end of year (Feb. 4, 2013). February 2012 will have 29 days according to the Gregorian calendar.[/quote]

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?cid=1105&MainCatID=11&id=20111227000060
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler