College Athletics

• 1 replies

old34

College Athletics
« on: August 15, 2011, 05:49:33 AM »
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - Valparaiso’s women’s basketball team began its foreign tour in China on Tuesday afternoon (Aug. 9) with a 110-61 victory over Zhejiang University of Technology in a unique format.

The Crusaders faced Zhejiang University of Technology’s women’s team in the first half before battling the school’s men’s squad in the second half. Valpo downed the women 63-20 before defeating the men 47-41.

“This was a great opportunity to play a team from a sister university in another culture,” head coachKeith Freeman said.  “I am proud of how hard our team played.”

Source: http://www.valpo.edu/stories/wmnsbasketballchina.php

So Valparaiso University's WOMEN'S basketball team beat both the men's and women's team from Zhejiang University of Technology. "In another culture" no less.  ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah ahahahahah

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.

old34

Re: College Athletics
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 06:21:47 AM »
FOLLOW UP:

I made the original post in quasi-sarcasm. Going back and reading the article and then following through it into the team's blog about their trip here, the Valpo women and their coach have an interesting record of their first trip here. It's a refreshing mix of awe, naïveté, and wonderment.

I felt that way once here, and it's nice to revisit those feelings through their eyes. China is the land of jade in more ways than one and after only a few years here, one becomes jaded. Reading their blog de-jaded me for a few moments.

Go have a read. The blog posts begin here and just move forward through the calendar there:
http://blogs.valpo.edu/chinabasketball/2011/08/08/
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad. - B. O'Driscoll.
TIC is knowing that, in China, your fruit salad WILL come with cherry tomatoes AND all slathered in mayo. - old34.