Car Horns

• 68 replies
Re: Car Horns
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 03:04:26 AM »
Those things will make you shit a pickle if you're close.

ahahahahah ahahahahah bkbkbkbkbk

shit a pickle   ahahahahah ahahahahah
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

NATO

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 03:39:21 AM »
How 'bout the volume of the horns on some of those buses?  Those things will make you shit a pickle if you're close.

Haha and blow your ear drums too. I managed to block out the cars horns before moving to Shanghai, now it sometimes gets annoying if they go through the night I'm having trouble getting to sleep.

I agree about the Scooters, today I was looking up at some traffic lights and edging forward to cross the road, for some reason the scooter guy coming towars me didn't want to honk. On this occasion I turned my head just in time.

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 04:01:25 AM »
High beams are bad, however, I think buses and taxi's driving at night without ANY lights is the very worst.  You can't see the buggers coming at all.   llllllllll asasasasas asasasasas

I think it was worst in Wuxi, I didn't notice it as much in Dalian.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

A-Train

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 04:21:55 AM »
I've recently taken out two of them, just because I had no idea they were coming up behind me. The first because I took a step sideways to avoid a puddle and the second when I turned to point across the street. Down they went, and my arm is still a little sore.

I'd kill for that opportunity.  Literally.
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 04:36:59 AM »
I've recently taken out two of them, just because I had no idea they were coming up behind me. The first because I took a step sideways to avoid a puddle and the second when I turned to point across the street. Down they went, and my arm is still a little sore.

I didn't take them out on purpose.  uuuuuuuuuu

They both tried to avoid me.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 04:44:59 AM »
After a little over a year in China I've come to the conclusion the object of life is to make as much noise as possible, be it: blowing your horn, yelling into your phone or pre-enacting WW3 with fireworks 24/7/365.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 05:34:48 AM »

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:27:30 AM by Isidnar »

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »
The thing about car horns though is they are by design grating and distressing. They are meant to be offensive to the ear and spirit the better to have you notice and react. If they sounded, say, like classical piano or violins, that'd be different. Chinese could cotinue with this grand social symphony they're making and the world would be abetter place for their efforts.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

A-Train

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 12:52:19 PM »

I didn't take them out on purpose.  uuuuuuuuuu

They both tried to avoid me.

Some people have greatness thrust upon them. 
"The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore attempt the impossible and achieve it, generation after generation.

Pearl S. Buck

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
The thing about car horns though is they are by design grating and distressing. They are meant to be offensive to the ear and spirit the better to have you notice and react. If they sounded, say, like classical piano or violins, that'd be different. Chinese could cotinue with this grand social symphony they're making and the world would be abetter place for their efforts.

Ditto for car alarms
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

NATO

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »

Ditto for car alarms

Scooter alarms. DON'T forget SCOOTER ALARMS.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2013, 06:08:37 PM »
I seem to recall that bicycles used to have a non-grating, inoffensive little bell - only to be rung to warn pedestrians that the rider was about to swoop past at dangerous speeds.

Technically, using one's horn can result in a 200 RMB find in downtown Dongguan.  The warning signs have been in place for years.  I think it's the city's way to being able to collect a few billion RMB in a single day if there's ever a serious fiscal crisis.

I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2013, 12:11:46 AM »
Aye Stil makes a good point about pedestrians, they are even more annoying than cars

It's a total mystery how some of these people in their 30s and 40s are still alive despite not understanding the need to look before you cross a busy road or bike lane

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »
Long, long ago, the way cars used the road was different. People would walk wherever they damn pleased--sightlessly, drunkenly, normally, whatever--and car drivers avoided them. It was a feature of riding a bike that anticipating where a car might end up next was function of knowing where pedestrians where rather than sighting painted lines upon the road. Cars veered and wobbled and shot around everywhere, but there was system to their lunacy and it was relatively easy to pick up.

These days the worst of those habits persist, such as driving on the wrong side of the road because it's easier than making a u-turn, but swerving around people has been replaced by honking. The cars too move faster and are more numerous.

I believe that in these patterns of road use we can see the future.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 03:11:20 AM »
I believe that in these patterns of road use we can see the future.

Piles of twisted metal and flesh, I presume. aqaqaqaqaq
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com