I am on the blacklist "blacklisted?"

• 13 replies
I am on the blacklist "blacklisted?"
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:55:57 AM »
Ok... so I'm trying to figure out how to send money back home. I went to Bank of China to open an account. Everything was going fine and they asked for my deposit. Thirty minutes later... they said that they cannot give me an account because I'm on the "blacklist":(   Then I went to another bank and same thing happened. I have no idea what this is! I have never been in China in my life. Now I don't know what to do to send money home. There is no Western Union or places like that near me. This sucks...

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
Re: I am on the blacklist "blacklisted?"
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 12:38:57 AM »
I don't know anything about a 'blacklist'.

You must have an account (with some bank) you opened (with the help of your employer) when you first arrived. Try this -

My uni uses China Construction Bank. To send money home (Canada), as a foreigner I'm limited to $500 per transaction and one transaction per day (I can't remember what the yearly limit is). That's ridiculous... so I go to the 'special' branch - that does international wire transfers - with my 'handler' from the FAO, and transfer the amount I want to send to Canada into her account. She then sends it to my Canadian bank account. Problem solved.
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:32:14 AM »
You literally can't open an account? That's bizarre.

In any case, transferring money out of China is legal up to, I believe, the equivalent of 50,000USD per yer, but that's for citizens. For non-citizens, you need a legal contract and tax receipts before you can do anything. With those in hand, and probably the FAO tagging along, you are eligible to exchange, as I recall, up to 70% of your earnings for foreign currency. I don't know off hand if the 50,000USD per year cap still applies. It might.

Or, long story short,  as the honourable cruisemonkey mentions, a Chinese citizen who somehow came to be in possession of your money could send it to a foreign bank account, perhaps even your own.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 05:47:38 PM »
Not sure what kind of school you're teaching at, but if you're at a Uni or High School, talk to the FAO. The school definitely has a connection with a bank, and can probably get your account sorted.

Do you have a Residence Permit? If you're on a tourist visa they may not be able to open an account for you.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:45:15 PM »
I do have a residence permit and I work at a University. I have Postal bank of china for my salary, but the branches here cannot send money abroad. I'm trying to use PayPal now. Hopefully I can do it that way.

If that doesn't work, I will use "Clalach" advice and get a Chinese citizen to help me out.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 10:12:56 PM »
A bank blacklist?  mmmmmmmmmm If I knew about that, I'd be slightly less forward in my suggestions to the pretty tellers at my bank. afafafafaf
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:36:54 AM »
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:36:23 AM by Isidnar »

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 12:45:25 AM »
Do you by any chance have a common name, Raul?

Some previous namesake messing things up for you?

My name is very common among Mexican-Americans and in Mexico, but I'm sure that I am the only one with such name in China.

cruisemonkey

• You could be next.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 10:22:32 AM »
Have you asked the FAO at your uni to find out why you're 'blacklisted'?
The Koreans once gave me five minutes notice - I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 07:04:21 PM »
You could ask your current bank, but they might close your account.

Perhaps take a trusted Chinese friend to one of the other banks and ask what the heck is going on.
EscapedLunatic.com

eggcluck

• Still standing
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 04:07:27 AM »
If you can get the account I find it easier not to send money home. The UK accepts union pay in its ATMs so when I got back I just use my China card to withdraw a chunk of cash. I think it even says me a little in fees too.

A guy I knew stuffed 40,000 into a bag and then got it exchanged outside of China. I think there are legal limits on the cash that be be carried over the border so you need to check that one.
Still standing

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 03:56:22 AM »
If you can get the account I find it easier not to send money home. The UK accepts union pay in its ATMs so when I got back I just use my China card to withdraw a chunk of cash. I think it even says me a little in fees too.

A guy I knew stuffed 40,000 into a bag and then got it exchanged outside of China. I think there are legal limits on the cash that be be carried over the border so you need to check that one.

I don't know if union pay can be used in American ATMs. If that is the case, I think I might just do that.

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 04:02:08 AM »
You could ask your current bank, but they might close your account.

Perhaps take a trusted Chinese friend to one of the other banks and ask what the heck is going on.

We asked the bank what was going on, but they said that they had no clue. That their system shows that I can't open any accounts. But I think I know why  now. I went to another bank "China Construction bank" and I had no problem opening an account. The problem might be that a few years ago, Wells Fargo closed an account that I had with them. Apparently, I never paid them what I owe them so they put me on the "blacklist" So because "Bank of China" is an international bank, I guess they have access to such list.  bibibibibi
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:01:36 PM by Raul »

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 05:47:29 PM »
Better watch out.  Those Wells Fargo people might sneak up behind you and harvest some internal organs to get their money back. aoaoaoaoao
EscapedLunatic.com