Mandarin Question (difference between 'ba' and 'shi bu shi')

• 23 replies

vexed

Re: Mandarin Question (difference between 'ba' and 'shi bu shi')
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 06:45:36 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I've been checking out Chinese Pod today and it seems to be very well laid out. I'm going to give the free trial a go from next week and take it from there. Thanks for the recommendations! bfbfbfbfbf

Also, thanks Lotus Eater for the reality check. I hope the area I'm going to (Kunming, Yunnan) doesn't differ too much from the standard Mandarin.

Cheers all again and have a great weekend  bjbjbjbjbj

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 07:01:45 AM »
Ohhh, I lived in Kunming for ages. You'll have fun with Kunming-hua! It is based on Mandarin, but it is quite different from standard Northeastern putonghua. You'll probably pick up a bit of the local dialect (the inspiration for my name here in fact) without even realizing it. Our niece is living with us now so her and my husband are having a Kunminghua field day and it is kind of great hearing it again.

VIVI

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 09:38:04 AM »
Hello,

I'm attempting to pick up some of the language before I get to China. I'm currently using a few different books, websites and methods. However, I'm confused over the difference between 'ba' and 'shi bu shi' in this sense:

Ni shi Yingguo-ren, shi bu shi?

Ni shi Yingguo-ren ba?

My theory is this:

They both seem to be operating as a tag question, but with a slight difference. The first one seems to say 'You're English, aren't you?' but maybe I'm not sure (in English I think we'd say 'aren't you' in a rising tone).

The second one seems to say 'You're English, aren't you?' and I'm just confirming the fact (we'd say the 'aren't you' in a falling tone).

Is that right?

u r right

Monkey King

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 05:30:52 PM »
and i wasnt having a go at Fozz either, i was genuinely impressed that you won that, and wanted to chime in with how big a boost CPod can give to one's studies 不好意思!

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2010, 11:30:56 PM »
and i wasnt having a go at Fozz either, i was genuinely impressed that you won that, and wanted to chime in with how big a boost CPod can give to one's studies 不好意思!

no worries lads - listen, this is a lesson in why we shouldn't infer to much from message boards: you weren't having a go, and I wasn't all that bothered

happy everyday!
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »
Quote from: Fozzwaldus
I've been using them for several years now, my main source of Chinese study, and last year I won the Irish National Mandarin competition (汉语桥). Nuff Said.

Wooo, check out the big brain on Brett!

I guess that did sound a little arrogant, huh? :-[  Apologies.

Probably because it's the first time I've ever been the champion at anything at all.

I'd love to hear more about it, actually. Tell me! Tell me! (I'm very competitive and want to compete, too  bfbfbfbfbf)

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 04:40:04 PM »
Quote from: Fozzwaldus
I've been using them for several years now, my main source of Chinese study, and last year I won the Irish National Mandarin competition (汉语桥). Nuff Said.

Wooo, check out the big brain on Brett!

I guess that did sound a little arrogant, huh? :-[  Apologies.

Probably because it's the first time I've ever been the champion at anything at all.

I'd love to hear more about it, actually. Tell me! Tell me! (I'm very competitive and want to compete, too  bfbfbfbfbf)

the competition itself is a Chinese-style speech competition where all the contestants prepare a talk up to five minutes long. You'll be familiar with the English version of this if you've ever taught in a Chinese uni!  bfbfbfbfbf

Being the annoying little swot that I am, I memorized two Chinese poems, one modern and one by Li Bai, and gave a comparison between them and similar styles of English language poems. (all in Chinese)

I needn't have tried so hard, as the competition was pretty weak (even though these were Chinese language majors!) and in fact I kind of ended up embarrassing eveyone there as my standard and levels of preparation were way beyond all the other competitors. This wasn't great as the univeristy that was hosting it (University College Cork) was using it as a flagship for their new Chinese language program... and then in walks ol' Fozzy from University College Dublin (Woo!), who's studying in his spare time, and murderises all their star pupils.

My boss (from UCD) was in the audience though, and I have had infinite kudos with her ever since.  ababababab
两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
Which Li Bai poem?  I am learning one for the next 'presentation' that I have to do instead of singing etc.

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 09:38:26 PM »
Which Li Bai poem?  I am learning one for the next 'presentation' that I have to do instead of singing etc.

"question and answer on the mountain"

http://www.chinese-poems.com/lb3.html

good idea to recite a poem, chance to show off your tones!

两只老外, 两只老外,跑得快,跑得快,
一个是老酒鬼,一个是老色鬼,真奇怪, 真奇怪