WARNING!!! ...Fluff Topic!!

• 914 replies
Re: WARNING!!! ...Fluff Topic!!
« Reply #540 on: December 19, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »
What, New Zealand?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

AMonk

« Reply #541 on: December 19, 2007, 08:30:10 PM »
Not Kiwi.....ONION!!! cfcfcfcfcf cfcfcfcfcf
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #542 on: December 19, 2007, 08:36:20 PM »
I'm thinking of going to Africa in a couple of weeks for a holiday!
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

« Reply #543 on: December 19, 2007, 08:43:49 PM »
Africa sounds nice. It was when I was there. Gambia. There was not terribly much tourism and I got to see a real, walking, munnching wild giraffe! And we all know giraffes rock!

I'm thinking of nothing but Christmas food, both Saturday and Christmas Eve. So much roast pork, so little time...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Shroomy

« Reply #544 on: December 19, 2007, 11:09:07 PM »
LT, I lived in Malawi, southeastern Africa for 2 years.  Advice freely given.
Back home and still confused about what the locals are saying.

AMonk

« Reply #545 on: December 21, 2007, 12:13:09 AM »
So.  OK.  I've started my Christmas baking.  Fruit cakes yesterday.  Plain/pound cakes today. Cassava pie tomorrow.

May even put some music on, this a.m.......more Silent Night....less Falalalala

Here Christmas Spirit.....Here Christmas Spirit.....Come on over......Good Christmas Spirit. acacacacac ajajajajaj

« Reply #546 on: December 21, 2007, 12:45:01 AM »
Fruitcake?  They must be fun to bake.  Where did I read it?  The average fruitcake changes hands 7 times before it gets eaten.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

AMonk

« Reply #547 on: December 21, 2007, 01:00:41 AM »
MY fruitcakes are eaten almost immediately.  In fact, they are more fruit than cake  ahahahahah (with no nuts involved!) bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #548 on: December 21, 2007, 01:22:12 AM »
But, I like the nuts.  Nuts make it so yummy.  Can't buy it here, darn.  agagagagag
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #549 on: December 21, 2007, 01:34:57 AM »
I don't know about fruitcakes but I have gotten into the holiday spirit by baking pfeffernüsse and brown Christmas cookies. Tomorrow, homemade treats to be eaten while decorating the tree.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

Shroomy

« Reply #550 on: December 21, 2007, 04:06:49 AM »
I have made pfeffernusse.  They were my dad's favorite, from my Danish grandmother.  bloody lot of work grinding those raisins. 

I'm trying to make my grandmother's fudge for the first time one of these days.  It was always my cousin's job to make it, but she won't spend a billion dollars to ship it to me.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 04:08:33 AM by 'Shroomy »

AMonk

« Reply #551 on: December 21, 2007, 04:36:07 AM »
Can you get all the ingredients OK???  Or is there a "Secret Additive" that you still need?

« Reply #552 on: December 21, 2007, 04:53:55 AM »
I have made pfeffernusse.  They were my dad's favorite, from my Danish grandmother.  bloody lot of work grinding those raisins. 

I'm trying to make my grandmother's fudge for the first time one of these days.  It was always my cousin's job to make it, but she won't spend a billion dollars to ship it to me.

Raisins??? What raisins??? Why do you put raisins in your pebernødder???

Shroomy

« Reply #553 on: December 21, 2007, 02:17:09 PM »
Because Nana told me to?  I think the recipe is ground raisins quickly mixed in flour to keep them from sticking, the usual flour/sugar/salt sort of thing and some spices.  Rollinto logs, slice into nuggets, and try to keep my brother out of them.  Don't have the recipe here.

How do you make yours?
Can you get all the ingredients OK???  Or is there a "Secret Additive" that you still need?
I found everything finally.  At least I hope so.  Sugar, chocolate from Beijing doctor's trip, vanilla from new import store, marshmallows (hopefully not flavored) and evaporated milk from Germany (import store.)  That's the one I'm most worried about.  They didn't have any american or other brands that didn't have sugar.  Lots of sweetened condensed milk (which makes not my favorite fudge), no guarantee that this German stuff is correct.

BTW Missi, every one of the 6 bakeries I approached refused to hand over even a drop of food coloring for christmas cookies.  One finally said the baking supply store is an hour away and they have it.  Not worth the trouble.

AMonk

« Reply #554 on: December 21, 2007, 11:34:05 PM »
'Shroomy, send me a PM of your address and I'll see what I can do to get you some food colouring.  Won't arrive for this Christmas (of course) but the stuff keeps for ages.