Images of Italy (2011)

• 4 replies
Images of Italy (2011)
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
I got to visit Italy again this year, there is something quite magical and incredibly cinematic about the historic centres of Italian towns.  I loved strolling around the streets of Barletta with an ice cream as I imagined a Nino Rota score from one of Fellini's films playing in the background...

The Castello Svevo was basically a 'Motel 6' for soldiers heading to the Holy Land during the Crusades.  When I knew I was heading to Barletta I actually saved a copy of Kingdom of Heaven on my laptop to watch while I was based there.  As sad as it sounds imagining Liam Neeson and David Thewlis leaving the castle grounds on horseback does add something to the experience for me...

One of the things I enjoy discovering are some of the myths and legends about the towns I visit.  The one I really liked in Barletta was regarding the Colossus of Barletta; a huge statue in the centre of town.  The story goes something like this... Many centuries ago the town was threatened by an invading army, as they prepared for their final assault the townsfolk of Barletta sent them the statue as a gift.  Attached was a note: 'Welcome to our town, as a token of our friendship we would like to present to you a statue of our town’s smallest resident.'  The army quickly fled in the opposite direction.

A few miles down the coast is the delightful town of Trani.  I stayed in a former monastery and my room had a stunning view across the harbour...

...and breakfast was taken in a former chapel.  I almost felt like I had to genuflect when I entered the room every morning...

Trani Cathedral would look wonderful in any location, but situated beside the sea made it look even more stunningly beautiful...

To finish another night shot in Trani.  Cue Nino Rota’s theme from Amarcord...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:53:24 AM by Slim Pickens »

Re: Images of Italy (2011)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:36:38 PM »
Beautiful shots.  akakakakak bfbfbfbfbf
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

xwarrior

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:17:56 PM »
Great photos Slim. 'Magical' is the word to describe the places you visit. Inspired me to look at travelling to Europe some day.
I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them.
- Bette Midler

AMonk

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 01:55:55 PM »
I'm a convert.  Italy (Europe as a whole) was never on my wish-to-see list....until you posted these.

Thank you for expanding my world, Slim agagagagag
Moderation....in most things...

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:12:13 PM »
Great photos! Italy was always where the family & I would go on our trips. Miss it so much! Annoying that I can't just hop on a plane and head there anymore...