China Studies - doing research, getting publication

• 7 replies
China Studies - doing research, getting publication
« on: September 15, 2019, 01:15:25 PM »
So you've got all this frankly way too informal "research" you've lived in here - what do you do now?

But see, I think I could write something relatively deep about what I've learned here, particularly about education. It'd be way more conceptual than it would be fact or evidence based. It'd not benefit from me knowing the language (because I don't). But still.....

Are there places or publications where people collect together this kind of information - and maybe pay you regularly for it?
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Re: China Studies - doing research, getting publication
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 01:36:20 PM »
For instance in education, I do know what Chinese don't have and I do know how to address it. I also know why I can't have that job in China (What is and should be in education is not a philosophical but a political question).

But what about elsewhere?

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 07:54:28 PM »
I guess the problem is that your source material is anecdotal (you) to make it official it would need to be corroborated with other teachers and bosses.
You will have done this unofficially just by 'interviewung' people by living here and knowing them, but I guess you need to formalise that someway (I interviewed 50 teachers in ... and found ... )
In the spirit of academia you could just make it up

CWL

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 07:57:50 AM »
Some people do make shit up; however, I would encourage you not to do such a thing if you are wanting to submit your manuscript to a credible journal.  Reviewers for credible journals will more than likely root out issues with your study.  For example, I recently returned a manuscript I was invited to review for a credible TESOL oriented journal.  During the process of examining the manuscript, I documented all kinds of issues and expressed my gravest concerns towards the methodology and data analyses sections.  For example, the statistical test used by the researcher(s) was inaccurately reported with missing information, not to mention the wrong test to use for the type of data being reported.  I documented these issues and submitted my analysis to the journal.  While I didn’t recommend outright rejection, I did make it clear revisions were needed.  It is up to the journal to decide to publish or not.  I hope it doesn't get sent back to me.  kkkkkkkkkk

You could always write something up and send it to a predatory journal, pay the submission and publication fees, and voilà, you are published.

Seems to me, you should do a qualitative study, maybe a case study or a phenomenological study.  Or consider mixed methods.

Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 05:51:23 PM »
Was a time, someone with an academic frame of mind could do "research" that was almost entirely just personal observation, maybe with an attempt at formal methods, but mostly just being interested and forming an opinion. But "expertise" doesn't mean that any more, seems like. What a weird old time we live in.

Thread title probably doesn't help. I probably meant something less top tier academic, more "China experienced and opinionated, looking to bellow at passersby"

CWL

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 07:29:52 PM »
No reason why you couldn't do an observational study and get it published in an EFL/ESL journal. 

Good luck.

kitano

• Children of the Atom
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 08:10:28 PM »
I was being flippant. I mean, we have all been in China for years and have met hundreds of students, teachers, bosses, civilians etc. But talking shit with a Chinese teacher has to be an 'interview' etc
You and me both have done ridiculously in depth research into the ESL industry, but you also have to formalise it for university level

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 01:45:59 AM »
I suppose I was hoping it didn't have to be academic. I might well have been thinking something closer to consultancy. If it had to be an actual observational study and it had to be ESL/EFL, my observation would be....

"*cough*, is this thing on.... hm well, Chinese, or ok, Chinese students, um, in the humanities... aw shit, Chinese, all Chinese, as a matter of education and culture, no wait, um....

Chinese lack independent control of analysis.

They can think just fine, they recognise knowledge, they may have trouble believing that independent standards exist but they'll acknowledge stuff that gets written in textbooks, and they can use it in situations where warranted, but if you want anybody to use principles to identify the working parts of that circumstance, situation or idea, then you're out of luck and you'll have to be satisfied with severely weakened moral determinations instead, though those determinations are often irrelevant and sound a lot more like general and/or received knowledge than they do relevant judgment.

And by the way, this significantly limits their ability to function in a foreign language English."

What people typically call Chinese lack of creativity.