Tv

• 460 replies
Re: Tv
« Reply #210 on: April 21, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »
I find Daredevil's adversaries more likeable. Even the most amoral one of them gets all the best lines.

It seems to be mixing the crime and superhero genres. I'm not suggesting that it is anywhere near as good as The Wire, but I am enjoying the 'both sides of the equation' thing. Frankly I'd enjoy it more if the whole show was from the perspective of the criminals. The sociopath point of view is under-represented on TV. There's a secret cabal of caped terrorists controlling the media.

« Reply #211 on: April 21, 2015, 05:44:54 PM »
I'm liking the supporting cast. Foggy's a bit on-the-nose with his dislike for the the masked terrorist, but Karen Page and Ben Urick are fab and getting even more substantial. (I keep hearing Ben's name as Yorrick, as in Alas poor.) Claire is great as well. Matt himself is a bit of a work in progress. And Wilson Fisk is weird. But yeah, one of the reasons I started watching was a review of episode two which emphasized the one-take nature of the fight scene and also that it ended with an exhausted hero. That was cool.

Plus, all the languages they use. English, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin and Japanese so far by my count.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:52:47 PM by Calach Pfeffer »
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »
just watched episode 1 of DD. As a Marvel freak, I'm pretty happy with what they've done on this one. It's better than any of the Daredevil movies they've done through the years.

Gotham was a revelation too. really enjoyable.

Other series i try to keep up with are Vikings, Agents of SHIELD, Flash and ARROW. As you can see, I don't want to overwork my brain.

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2015, 10:18:39 PM »

Plus, all the languages they use. English, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin and Japanese so far by my count.

and I suspect somebody speaking Greek (Matt's ex) will turn up in season 2. (Although Netflix's original intention was that there only be 1 Daredevil season before The Defenders series, I think that might change. To be honest though, I have no idea how the Netflix financial model works, but if this turns out to be one of their most popular shows, I can't see them putting the character on hold for 3 years or however long it will be. I suppose that he might be a background player in the Jessica Jones / Iron Fist etc shows in between, but I hope there's a second series. I think that they were setting up the backstory for that in season 1 anyway, unless that was for The Defenders.

Also, I can't remember if Foggy ever actually spoke any Punjabi (or whatever language it was he studied in College).

“I want to look in their eyes while I salt the Earth with their blood.”

I think Wilson Fisk has taught a class like my Tuesday morning one.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:35:54 PM by Just Like Mr Benn »

« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2015, 12:45:39 AM »
One thing is I kind of keep expecting Daredevil to break out the Batman voice. He doesn't quite, but he comes close a few times.

« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2015, 06:23:04 PM »

« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2015, 03:48:59 AM »
I love Vikings...since it actually gets a lot of stuff right.

Justified ended...buuhuuuu.....waaahhhh....no more Raylan Givens....I think Hollywood should make a proper Western, like Tombstone but with a Steven Spielberg budget and just get Mr. Olyphant to play the Marshall...oooh, if they had half a brain they would make the life of Billy the Kid into a mini series and cast him as Pat Garrett...

Arrow and Flash are both deliciously silly...if the brain ate, those shows would be...err...what has less nutrional value than cotton candy?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #217 on: May 29, 2015, 07:40:50 PM »
Wentworth

Long, long ago on Australian television and later on world television there was a show called Prisoner. The world knew the show as Prisoner Cell Block H, and Cell Block H knew Bea Smith as the intimidating Queen Bea. Meanwhile, in a bid to find a series worth investing in, I have stumbled across something recent, this show called Wentworth, which first screened in 2013. It's set in current times at Wentworth prison and follows a battered woman called Bea Smith as she's processed into H block on remand for the first time. Back when it started they were comparing it to Breaking Bad. I've watched the first two episodes and I'm ready to say that in some ways it may be better. Right out of the box, it is certainly the more intense. The characters are familiar from the old show, but this one is definitely worth watching on its own.

« Reply #218 on: June 13, 2015, 12:51:58 AM »
Sense8

A series by the Wachowski (sic - Matrix) siblings. I wouldn't have thought this would be my thing. It's sort of style over substance, but I am enjoying it.

No Offence

Manchester Police drama, written by Paul Abbott.

« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2015, 03:26:27 PM »
New TV started this week:

Killjoys

Already getting comparisons to Firefly. Could be justified. Two bounty hunters in space, sworn by guild rules to neutrality, are joined, dramatically, by a third, and revolution is brewing in the system.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

Dark Matter

Started last week. Six crew wake up to an in-flight emergency on their spaceship, and none of them remember who they are. They discover an android, come under fire by "raiders", and land on a mining planet that's gearing up for a coming seige.

bfbfbfbfbf bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2015, 07:43:58 PM »
True Detective

I'm not feeling it yet. First episode of the new season screened last night, and was complicated.

Wentworth

Last episode of season three will screen tonight. There are episodes in each of the seasons that veer into soap opera - which is to say, lean more on melodrama than authenticity - and the whole of season three is quite unlike the first two, but as a package deal, all the seasons and their episodes are fabulous. Heightened drama.

There's a season four in the works too. It'll have to go pretty far over the top to beat this season's Freak.

« Reply #221 on: June 26, 2015, 11:26:09 PM »
Mr. Robot

best tv of all tv.

« Reply #222 on: July 01, 2015, 06:38:57 PM »

« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »
Trevor Noah

I don't seek out the Daily Show but I do like Jon Stewart, so I've decided to watch a bit of Trevor Noah. Watched "It's My Culture", an hour and a half of him doing a standup show in South Africa. He's good with voices, but I'm not sure he's funny. Also saw his spot on Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee.

« Reply #224 on: July 16, 2015, 02:02:46 AM »