Milk Powder Ban List

• 100 replies
Re: Milk Powder Ban List
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 04:33:24 AM »
Thanks, RD. I am taking chewable Ca supplement but it doesn't help. I found another company called BigShot - Franchise is in Macao and they make what they call Fresh milk. Milk liquid isn't as dangerous as milk powder as they have been using much lesser dosages in there but still!!! We threw away about 4 packages of Yili milk today and a couple of small mengniu. Perhaps someone doesnt mind drinking that milk but I rather stay away...

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 05:29:09 AM »
Nestle, Parmalat, san yuan and dutch lady have all been cleared so far... also, in addition, I'm sure the "President" milk that can be found at Carrefour (made in France) should be safe...

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 07:26:21 AM »
President may be imported from Taiwan. I think they are owned by Unilever, but Uni-President are the big suppliers for 7-11 Taiwan. Their milk is mostly reconstituted from powder, like 99% of the "UHT" milk that is sold here.

Like the bullshit 10%/25%/50% "fruit juice" "juices" that are more ubiquitous than the genuine, 100% articles around China, I am unimpressed with the lack of actual, fresh milk in large, second tier cities in China.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 11:08:03 AM »
I am feeling extraordinarily lucky!  I make my own yoghurt and by sheer happenstance/serendipity I have used all Nestle products to make it - so I can continue to do it safely.

Which is really ironic as back in Oz, I didn't buy Nestle products because of their policy of 'dumping' on 3rd world nations to discourage breastfeeding!!

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 02:43:59 PM »
Thankfully fresh milk is easily available here in Shenzhen, which i hope is ok. The company, Kowloon dairy is based in Hong Kong but i'm sure most of their milk is from the mainland.
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

Acjade

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »
What about the butter?

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 04:13:04 PM »
I haven't seen butter mentioned specifically in the news reports because it is still a 'niche' market product here, but it too would be affected in some way, given that it is made of cream.  Buy imported for a while.

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2008, 07:39:48 PM »
Most of the butter I've seen in China comes from the Anchor brand, which I think comes from Australia.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »
Noles, Dutch lady was taken off sales in HK because they found melamine in it's strawberry milk made in China. So they are checking the rest (watched the news last night).
Noles, we bought Kowloon today as well. Will try it. Says pasteurized fresh milk. Big shot (Macao company) is also quite good.
Nestle is a bit pricier and here they only have low fat high calcium milk or skimmed milk. Didn't see Parmelat but I know it is freaking expensive.
We buy Anchor butter (white package as it is cheaper though same butter as in silver package).

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 10:04:45 PM »
It's official: Starbucks is not serving milk.

http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/2008/09/19/no-milk-in-starbucks-this-morning-checking-supply-for-melamine

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122179270484455681.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

The situation is apparently dire because Starbucks hasn't found a speedy replacement, unless you count substituting Soy products for dairy.

I've yet to see any barren milk shelves at the convenience stores and bodegas I frequent.
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2008, 10:22:36 PM »
Ah crap. No more Latte? I am allergic to soy milk.  bibibibibi

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 05:30:31 AM »
Caught a quick news blip.  Nestle is no longer 100% clear.   asasasasas
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »
Caught a quick news blip.  Nestle is no longer 100% clear.   asasasasas

I saw a similar AP news brief authored by a Scott MacDonald. It included some incidences of candy with milk as well as countries removing any products made with milk from China.

".....The Hong Kong government also announced Sunday that tests found melamine in Chinese-made Nestle milk. The Dairy Farm milk was made by Nestle's division in the Chinese coastal city Qingdao, it said.

The Swiss food and drinks giant issued a statement Sunday saying that none of its China-made dairy products contained melamine.

"Nestle once again expresses confidence that none of its products in China is made from milk adulterated with melamine," the statement said. It did not specifically respond to the Hong Kong report of tainted Dairy Farm milk.

Nestle offices in Hong Kong and Geneva did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment. Calls after work hours to its Beijing office and Beijing hot line went unanswered.

Meanwhile, Singapore said Sunday melamine was detected in samples of White Rabbit-brand Creamy Candy. The popular Chinese milk candy was pulled from shelves in the Philippines last year after health officials there claimed it was tainted with formaldehyde.

Chinese candy maker Guan Sheng Yuan Co. denied the Philippine allegations, saying the candy tested was likely a counterfeit version and subsequent tests showed samples of the candy were formaldehyde-free.

Already on Friday, Singapore suspended the sale and import of all Chinese milk and dairy products including milk, ice-cream, yogurt, chocolate, biscuits and candy, as well as any other products containing milk from China as an ingredient.

Japan, Malaysia and Brunei have also recalled or banned Chinese-made dairy products.

...."

Acjade

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 01:53:20 PM »

Already on Friday, Singapore suspended the sale and import of all Chinese milk and dairy products including milk, ice-cream, yogurt, chocolate, biscuits and candy, as well as any other products containing milk from China as an ingredient.

Noooooo.........oooooo

George

• My view of China
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 02:21:49 PM »
What you worried about? Yer not in Singapore! bibibibibi
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/