Baby stuff

• 9 replies
Baby stuff
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:07:58 AM »
I am asking for a friend.

Do they sell anything like 'portable play pens' in China?  Toddlers need to be confined a titch when they get to the get into everything stage.  Especially when going to visit people etc.

Also, baby proof safety pins, the ones with a cover over that has to be slid before you can depress the pin to open.

Other thing to entertain a baby? 
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Re: Baby stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:27:29 AM »
You can find pretty much anything and everything baby related on Taobao.

You can get Graco pack n plays online and in some of the more expensive baby stores. Play pens are probably a bit too small for babies who are actually up and mobile but should be ok up until about a year or so. Has she thought of baby gates so she can confine the baby to one baby-proofed room?

Here's a Graco Pack n Play on Taobao http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=3346068161. Graco is a well known American brand so they'd be pretty safe. The things that are on the top can come off so it converts to just a normal playpen if you don't want the changing table extension. There are cheaper Chinese brand too ones if you do a search for 游戏床 (youxi chuang, literally "game beds!") in Chinese.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:04:11 AM »
Thanks    agagagagag bfbfbfbfbf

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »
We found a perfect playpen .... it is very portable, can adjust in size as needed, easy to move around the apartment and even out to restaurants.  Very very versatile .....

A bit expensive though .... we rent it for about ¥1000 per month.

"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 10:03:07 PM »

aoaoaoaoao  What's it made of, ivory?
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

jpd01

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:08:36 PM »

aoaoaoaoao  What's it made of, ivory?

Indeed, during some casual baby shopping the other night we saw quite a few good cribs and portable playpens for about 1400-2000. Renting a playpen for 1000 a month seems incredibly high, that's almost half the rent for a good flat in my neck of the woods!
"I don't understand what I did wrong except live a life that everyone is jealous of." Charlie Sheen.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 02:21:04 AM »
How about an Aiyi   mmmmmmmmmm

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 04:32:53 AM »
Rope and a tree.

Paul

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 02:03:59 AM »
The only play pens I've seen are tiny, cage-like things, but as others have said, t'internet is the place to find stuff.
Coincidentally, I've just responded to another topic about leg-irons in China.
Give'em free rein and let grandma take care of'em seems to be the traditional approach.
But I do have safety concerns about that.

Safety pins - never seen one here, though they're almost certainly manufactured here.

If your friend is using cloth nappies (diapers) then the thing to do is just tuck it in rather than pin it as we do in the west.  It works.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 03:41:38 PM »
How about an Aiyi   mmmmmmmmmm

You got it right DS!  An Ayi is ¥1000 per month.  And she does more than a playpen can!
"A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for."  Grace Hopper

"Procrastination: Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now." Larry Kersten