Milk Powder Ban List

• 100 replies

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
Milk Powder Ban List
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:08:06 PM »
I know there are some mothers on this board - literal, not figurative  afafafafaf - and I haven't found much in English about the product recall that lists the 22 brands. Here's a list a friend translated for me*

三鹿牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                            Sanlu infant formula
熊猫可宝牌婴幼儿奶粉                            Panda kebao infant formula
圣元牌婴幼儿配方奶粉                            Shengyuan infant formula
古城牌婴幼儿配方乳品                            Gucheng infant formula
英雄牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                            Hero infant formula
惠民牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                            Huiming infant formula
蒙牛牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                            Mengniu infant formula
keqi牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                            Keqi infant formula
雅士利牌婴幼儿配方乳粉(Guangdong branch)        Yashili infant formula
南山倍益牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                        Nanshan-beiyi infant formula
齐宁婴幼儿配方乳粉                              Qining infant formula
雅士利牌婴幼儿配方乳粉(Shangxi branch)          Yashili infant formula
金必氏牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                          Jinbishi infant formula
施恩牌婴幼儿配方乳粉(Scient Guangzhou)          Scient infant formula
金鼎牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                            Jinding infant formula
伊利牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                            Yili infant formula
奥美多牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                          Aomeiduo infant formula
爱可丁牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                          Aikeding infant formula
育宝牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                            Yubao infant formula
磊磊牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                            Leilei infant formula
宝安力牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                          Baoanli infant formula
聪尔壮牌婴幼儿配方乳粉                          Congerzhuang infant formula

Pass the word around.

*- my Chinese skills are moderate, at best and this list would have taken me a few days to hammer out on my own.
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

Re: Milk Powder Ban List
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:32:30 PM »
Thanks for the list.

I know you like to research things.  Another member suggested that there was a possibility it was also in milk before it was powdered and it could be in fresh milk, yogurt etc.  Let us know if you find anything. 

I use yogurt every day.
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:56:11 PM »
Thanks Spaghettie, my kids are fortunately past formula but I appreciate the thought  agagagagag

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »
 bfbfbfbfbf  Kudos!

Mao, what an exhaustive list!  bibibibibi  I'll avoid dairy in general for a while, I think.
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:51:18 PM »
Thanks  bfbfbfbfbf It is like everything the sell in the shops  bibibibibi Thank heaven for Macao being next door!

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:02:36 PM »
Hey Cheeky

Yeah you need to make the most of Macao, i buy most of my baby milk in HK. It's a little more expensive but for the peace of mind it's worth it. Remember this is not the first scandal to hit chinese baby milk, they had one a couple of years ago that was pretty bad too. If you have to buy baby milk in China i recommend using a name you know such as nestle. I personally use Wyeth which i think is ok, but you can never be to sure....
The future's so bright i gotta wear shades

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »
See, in Macao it is cheaper! For starters, patakas are cheaper than RMB and even in numbers it is less.  agagagagag
Thanks for the tips.  offtopic now I am craving Starbucks. Time for another Macao trip!

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:25:00 AM »
Only breast milk for me from now on.

Thanks for the list Spags, I'll pass it on.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:41:44 AM »
Stuff exported from the mainland is supposed to be removed from Shelves in Taiwan - it may easily have been exported to Macao and HK.

Nolefan

• Lord of Avalon
  • 八九不离十
    • Catania Vibe
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 04:18:08 AM »

man.. seeing things like this makes me feel loads better about paying a premium for my organic milk, yogurts and veggies!

alors régressons fatalement, eternellement. Des débutants, avec la peur comme exutoire à l'ignorance et Alzheimer en prof d'histoire de nos enfances!
- Random food, music and geek tales from the Catania, Sicily: http://ctvibe.com

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 05:18:04 AM »
Dragon,

I can't find the link anymore, but I remember reading that the Wellcome (SIC) chain of supermarkets and convenience stores, with locations in Hong Kong and Taiwan, recalled a frozen fruit-yogurt bar manufactured by Yili or Yashili. Taiwan has its hands full recalling a ton of powdered infant formula. Unlike the mainland, Taiwan has a greater variety of imported infant formula and powdered milk, as well as local mainstays like the cleverly named "Klim."

As an avid consumer of dairy products, I am now treading lightly in China. At least my nearby bodega carries Nestle ice cream, which uses imported milk. I can head to the Metro for imported, pricey Italian Cheeses and imported Anchor and Land-o-lakes at a modest price. Finding drinkable, fresh milk is not so easy. Its all reconstituted UHT milk, produced domestically and from powdered milk.

Despite what the party and its mouth pieces are printing, Melamine is not soluble like powdered milk. They are trying to finger the poor farmers who provided the milk, and even claiming that it could be coming from the cows, but the concentration of Melamine that has killed and sickened these poor kids can only come from a direct introduction to the milk powder itself. It has to come from the factory, and unless someone has a decent education in chemistry, the idea of consciously using Melamine to falsify inspection of nutritional value isn't something the average git in China would come up with.

What I find chilling, is how many educated food industry "professionals" (!?!  llllllllll) have used this to cover up for not using quality products to maintain a natural level of nutrients and instead figured out that they can cheat the test by not spending money on ingredients and simply inject the cheaper component that is normally used in plastics. It takes a serious background in chemistry to come up with such a desperate solution, and yet the most common sense notion, that this shit would kill living beings if ingested, seems to be ignored and/or forgotten. Then there's thinking that they could get away with it.

While not all of the heads that will roll will belong to those who deserve to be brought to justice, more than a few will, and they will end up dying by the sword that they lived by.

Since this isn't the first time Melamine has been used to cheat quality controls and pass by nutrient counts, nor is it the first time infant formula has poisoned young Chinese: I doubt this will be the last we hear of such incidents.

The ghosts of the Anhui incident a few years back have company now, and hope as much as I will that this won't be true; I think they'll be back again in the future.

If this was Maotai I bet Beijing would have resolved this as soon as reports were made, olympics or not!
"Most young people were getting jobs in big companies, becoming company men. I wanted to be an individual."
Haruki Murakami

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 05:40:24 AM »
Dragon,

Despite what the party and its mouth pieces are printing, Melamine is not soluble like powdered milk. They are trying to finger the poor farmers who provided the milk, and even claiming that it could be coming from the cows, but the concentration of Melamine that has killed and sickened these poor kids can only come from a direct introduction to the milk powder itself. It has to come from the factory, and unless someone has a decent education in chemistry, the idea of consciously using Melamine to falsify inspection of nutritional value isn't something the average git in China would come up with.

What I find chilling, is how many educated food industry "professionals" (!?!  llllllllll) have used this to cover up for not using quality products to maintain a natural level of nutrients and instead figured out that they can cheat the test by not spending money on ingredients and simply inject the cheaper component that is normally used in plastics. It takes a serious background in chemistry to come up with such a desperate solution, and yet the most common sense notion, that this shit would kill living beings if ingested, seems to be ignored and/or forgotten. Then there's thinking that they could get away with it.

I don't think "cook booking" to add melamine to jack up appearance of protein beyond the capability of the farmer. It would makd more sense that it be added to the processed powder, but.
Knowledge of adding Melamine to cattle feed goes back to the 1950s at least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine
"Melamine use as non-protein nitrogen (NPN) for cattle was described in a 1958 patent.[8] In 1978, however, a study concluded that melamine "may not be an acceptable nonprotein N source for ruminants" because its hydrolysis in cattle is slower and less complete than other nitrogen sources such as cottonseed meal and urea.[9]"

What is interesting is that SanLu, which has been one of the most respected names in China, which I would compare to General Foods in US, has, along with several other name brands, for past five years been "exempt from inspection" as pointed out in this Bloomberg News article.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=a1rfKvOp3xwc&refer=asia

Spaghetti

• Goo Goo Muck
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 05:50:41 AM »
Well, we all know why I am teaching in China, rather than working in the fields of agriculture and chemistry! ahahahahah
Haruki Murakami

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 11:15:46 AM »
I remember a poster on here saying he was giving his baby cheap 10 RMB a packet powdered milk.

Who was that?  I pray to goodness that his baby is OK.
It is too early to say.

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »
CCTV9 reports that the arrests of suspects have begun and that very little non-powdered milk has been contaminated.  This would make playing a game of yogurt-roulette only slightly dangerous.   ahahahahah
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com