Introductions

• 1851 replies
Introductions
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »
Hi, all, and welcome back to the original yet new-fangled China Saloon.  I'm Con, known variously as Con Ate Dog and Con's Fly Is Open.  I've been in China about 3 years now, yet speak the language very poorly.  I recently quit smoking, and it's making me mean. 

I'm 39, Canadian, lived most of my life in Calgary, majored in English, and have spent years as a production worker, landscaper and technical writer.  I have a brother whom I can't convince to move out here.

My goals this year are to repair my teeth, publish at least 3 articles, write a novel and have sex with a woman who is taller than I am.  The latter, given that I live in China, seems unlikely.

Enough talk.  Shooters!
And there is no liar like the indignant man... -Nietszche

Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. -William James

englishmoose.com

AMonk

Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:14:05 AM »
I'm AMonk (not "the Pope"!), presently located in Bermuda.   bfbfbfbfbf
I'm (very happily) married to Hubby  afafafafaf, with a 32-year old (also happily married) son. 
Got my BS (that's B*** bqbqbqbqbq) in Education, which I am using to help drill knowledge into the minds of Teens, Ladies and Gents in our local Corrections Department. cbcbcbcbcb
Hobbies are .... Reading, Cooking (and Eating) and The Saloon (also an Addiction).
Moderation....in most things...

George

• My view of China
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:21:18 PM »
This is the dreaded George. Why should little Connie get to make the first post? Sounds like a Suzhou CONspiracy. I am in Jinan(still) and likely to remain so for a while yet. I should get my teeth fixed as well, but I have an extremely low pain threshold.....just thinking about it brings me out in hives. I have the cutest chick in all China! acacacacac
 bxbxbxbxbx
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 08:09:37 PM »
I'm in!
This is like @^&*#@-th time I make my introduction.
Russian, 28, FEMALE  cheexyblonde I've been in China for 5,5 years now and still planning on staying.
Most of my life I spent in Russia. I majored in teaching French and English and linguistics. I've been teaching for over 10 years now (actually, 11.5 to be precise - started few months into the first year at the University). Lived in different places in Russia mainly due to the fact that I was born into a military family. I am "signed/registered" in a small Siberian town, 3 hours drive from Inner Mongolia border (because my parents moved there after dad retired from the army and my mom still lives there). But I lived in St. Petersburg before coming to China - after I graduated from Uni.
Some of you might suspect me being connected with KGB, knowns as FSB nowadays. I can only assure you that everyone has skeletons in their closets  uuuuuuuuuu
Currently, I live in Beijing.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:10:53 PM »

Canadian, been in China 2 years.  Want to come back next year. Love being here, love Chinese food, love teaching, love Raoul, what else can I say agagagagag
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 03:12:42 AM by dragonsaver »
Be kind to dragons for thou are crunchy when roasted and taste good with brie.

Bugalugs

• If we are what we eat, I'm easy, fast, and cheap.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 12:48:12 AM »
Woooo Hooo I'm here!!!!

I'm Bugalugs, an Aussie living in Wuxi for almost two years, currently i'm teaching in an "international" training center but i hope that this will change in October.

While at first i hated China i now love living here and i really can't seem myself returning to Australia for a long, long time. Any thing else you wanna know?? Just ask...

Never said no to a dare yet :):)
Good girls are made from sugar and spice, I am made from Vodka and ice

Do you have and ID Ten T error??

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 02:46:39 AM »
Ok, my turn.

Lone Traveller (or LT). I'm 26. Originally from Hoganland (Australia for all those uneducated ones out there bxbxbxbxbx) but have been in China for the past 1.5yrs. I'm up in the "cool Province" (Heilongjiang) and aside from the odd -38 in the dead of winter, I still love it.

I know. I'm crazy. Can't be helped.  apapapapap
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 04:14:34 AM »
Mmmmmmm, you've got to like that new bar smell. Unfortunately the old guy in the corner smells..... Oh, Hi George!

Stil. I am Canadian. I have been in China for 3.5 years mostly in Hunan. I teach Oral and sometimes English at a Normal (so they say) College.

I Like kittens and world peace and will now twirl a baton in the talent show.

I am also currently hammered on soju.

teleplayer

• Ni you hen duo xiao qian. Gei wo yidian(r)!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 05:48:34 AM »
Why does this feel like some 12-step program?
My name is teleplayer. Yes I can and yes I do and it originally looked just like this one
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0137502306. It's been "re-cutomized."  bfbfbfbfbf

Currently I'm a university department student services manager working primarily with graduate students who are aspiring environmental scientists. It's my plan to join the English teaching group in ZhongGuo if all prsonal affairs get fixed his year. Currently I'm in another state of mind but you can call it middle-aged in North Carolina, USA.

Duibuqi, I need to go tune up now. I'm providing live the musical soundtrack to Stil's baton act. Can you say vaudeville? Wait 'til he breaks out the fire batons. apapapapap

"...Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside ...."
--ELP (Emerson, Lake, and Plamer)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:17:20 AM by teleplayer »

icebear

• ????
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 05:50:58 AM »
icebear here. Quick and easy - I'm 23, American, and living and teaching Shenzhen. I've been here for almost 8 months, and plan to stay longer, but not indefinitely. Maybe another year. I've been lazy as hell with learning Chinese but have really buckled down recently.

In my free time I enjoy skateboarding, reading about almost anything, partying, enjoying this good life, and avoiding the downers that can't seem to.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 09:15:05 PM »
Hi there. Well, I am Danish, 27 yrs old, lived in China for a year teaching at EF in Nanchang. I live in Denmark now, trying desperately to enjoy the crummy weather.
Interests: reading anything I can get my hands on, studying Chinese, running and trying to break the world record for throwing chew toys across the living room. Have not succeeded yet but my dog sure finds it funny.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 09:19:43 PM »
(I find the image funny - I'm sure the dog finds it hillarious)
Courage is not the absense of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear.

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 10:33:09 PM »
Hi there. Well, I am Danish, 27 yrs old, lived in China for a year teaching at EF in Nanchang. I live in Denmark now, trying desperately to enjoy the crummy weather.
Interests: reading anything I can get my hands on, studying Chinese, running and trying to break the world record for throwing chew toys across the living room. Have not succeeded yet but my dog sure finds it funny.

You throw them across the room, run over and throw them back?
What does your do dog while you are doing this, aside from laughing?

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 10:39:50 PM »
She hides behind the couch, as she is afraid of the neighbour's cat, Jensen.
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

DaDan

• Yeppers! We`be livin now!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 11:21:19 PM »
American, lived the past 20 years in the land of Aloha before coming to China nearly 4 years ago...

presently I have an apartment in Sanya & try to spend a week there once in awhile, I've been doing a lot of traveling in China the past bunch of months & will prolly keep doing going......................

I need to find that email with the url to me lizard with da funny eye....
me pappy sayd... 
Once ya get past the smell... ...:P ... `You got it licked...