What's in the News

• 2873 replies

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: What's in the News
« Reply #735 on: October 22, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »
when I was a young scout I enjoyed eating Brownies.

As I understand it, a Cub Scout can only become a a Boy Scout after eating his first Brownie.   afafafafaf
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #736 on: October 22, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »
Wow.  Economic cooperation.  Maybe there is some hope of avoiding a global economic failure.

Paulson lauds China cooperation amid market turmoil

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson on Tuesday praised China's cooperation in taming global financial turmoil and urged the next U.S. president to continue an active economic dialogue with Beijing.

In his first major speech on China in two months, Paulson said he has held useful and constructive discussions with Chinese Vice Premier Wang Qishan on the turmoil rocking global markets.

"It is clear that China accepts its responsibility as a major world economy that will work with the United States and other partners to ensure global economic stability," Paulson said in prepared remarks to the National Committee on U.S.-China Relations in New York.

A advance copy of his remarks were released in Washington.

Paulson said the United States has demonstrated that it will "do what is necessary" to strengthen financial institutions, unlock credit markets and minimize the impact of financial instability on the broader U.S. economy. He urged other governments to do the same.

China is feeling strains from the global turmoil as well, but was expected to continue to be an important engine for global growth, Paulson said.

The next U.S. president should recognize this and engage China as a growth opportunity for U.S. companies, consumers, exporters and investors, he said. "A stable prosperous and peaceful China is in the best interest of the Chinese people, the American people and the rest of the world," he said.

Paulson said he hopes whomever wins the November 4 election will build upon progress that Washington and Beijing have made during the past two years by holding high-level talks called the Strategic Economic Dialogue (SED).

"Perhaps most importantly, the SED has established a new model for communication, enabling us to address urgent issues such as turmoil in our financial markets, energy security and climate change," he said. "I hope that the next U.S. president will expand on the SED to take U.S.-Chinese relations to the next level."

Before the credit crisis forced him to prop up faltering U.S. financial institutions, Paulson had made U.S.-China economic relations the centerpiece of his two-and-a-half-year term.

The former Goldman Sachs chief has made more than 75 trips to China during his career and launched the dialogue talks to try to tackle thorny issues such as America's ballooning trade deficit with China and what many U.S. firms and lawmakers viewed as an undervalued yuan.

While the talks mainly have produced agreements on air services, product safety and energy and environmental cooperation, they have coincided with a gradual rise in the value of the yuan against the dollar.

Paulson said the talks have been an "excellent forum" for discussing the yuan's value, but he refrained from urging that Beijing allow faster appreciation. "I am pleased that China has appreciated the RMB by over 20 percent since July of 2005," he said.

Paulson also urged China to continue with financial sector and capital markets reform despite the global turmoil that has shaken U.S. financial institutions to their foundations.

"Some in China look at the recent failures in our financial markets and conclude that they should slow down their reforms," Paulson said. "But their is a great opportunity for China to learn from our significant mistakes and move forward with reforms that have the potential to produce important gains for China and its people."

He said these include helping to rebalance China's growth to improve living standards for Chinese households, helping to allow monetary policy to tame inflation and encourage market-driven innovation.

(Reporting by Pedro Dacosta and David Lawder, writing by David Lawder; editing by Leslie Adler)
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #737 on: October 22, 2008, 07:20:05 PM »
A Chinese lawyer wants to charge Microsoft with hacking Chinese computers in an effort to disrupt piracy of Windows. I actually think Microsoft's plan is pretty good--screw over the users and force them to buy the real thing.

"Software giant Microsoft has sparked a major controversy among millions of Chinese computer users with the nationwide launch Tuesday of its "Screen Blackout" anti-piracy program."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-10/22/content_7126895.htm
"I don't need to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway." -Calvin
3 greatest things in the world in one website: http://www.boozefoodtravel.com
http://www.TotalTaipei.com
My Taipei travel guide: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073RSMVG

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #738 on: October 23, 2008, 04:18:27 AM »
Well - some justification for what we do...

Drinkers happy, smokers coping - survey

October 23, 2008

A FEW alcoholic drinks a day could make you one of the happiest people in Australia, but if you smoke, you're just coping with a hard life.

This is the message in the latest Australian Unity Wellbeing Index released today, which challenges findings that alcohol can have a negative impact on a person's life.

The index, based on a survey of 2,000 Australians in April, found that those who drink up to three drinks a day are far happier than those who never drink.

And the wellbeing of 18- to 25-year-olds - the key binge drinking demographic - remains high regardless of how many drinks they have.

The findings highlight some of the challenges facing public health officials in promoting safe drinking levels and curbing the burgeoning binge-drink culture.

They are also in stark contrast to the findings of research released by the Salvation Army this week, which found one in four Australians say alcohol has had a negative impact on them or their family.

Australian Unity Health group executive Amanda Hagan said the link between alcohol consumption and the wellbeing of 18- to 25-year-olds was particularly concerning.

"This is potentially troublesome for policymakers in their struggle with binge drinking,'' she said.

"It demonstrates the need to focus on the health and safety implications of binge drinking because this age group is not feeling an adverse impact on their wellbeing.''

Also, the survey found the wellbeing of older Australians reduced if they had more than three drinks a day.

The author of the Wellbeing Index, Deakin University Professor Bob Cummins, said one of the most intriguing findings was that people who did not drink at all had the lowest wellbeing of all drinking categories.

This was particularly marked for people in middle age, he said.

"This is not because we need alcohol to make us happy - but it could be a reflection of the social aspect of drinking,'' he said.

"It's possible that a fair proportion of people who don't drink at all might be those people who are also more isolated from social activities.''

The research also found a strong link between smoking and low wellbeing

Prof Cummins said people living in difficult circumstances were more likely to smoke.

"Therefore, it is more likely that smoking represents an outlet, a way of coping, rather than being the cause of people's low wellbeing,'' he said.

The index also reiterated the benefits of exercise on wellbeing, particularly in middle age.
Prof Cummins said those who did a moderate amount of exercise - three times a week - had enhanced wellbeing, but there was no added benefit to more frequent exercise.

"Middle age can be a stressful period of life when people are managing families, work and mortgages,'' he said.

"These findings suggest that both moderate exercise and moderate drinking can help people to cope.''
Story

Escaped Lunatic

• EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #739 on: October 24, 2008, 02:31:44 PM »
A Chinese lawyer wants to charge Microsoft with hacking Chinese computers in an effort to disrupt piracy of Windows. I actually think Microsoft's plan is pretty good--screw over the users and force them to buy the real thing.

"Software giant Microsoft has sparked a major controversy among millions of Chinese computer users with the nationwide launch Tuesday of its "Screen Blackout" anti-piracy program."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-10/22/content_7126895.htm

All it does is set the desktop background to black every hour.  I'd be surprised if there's not already a "background auto-reset" program available in the countries where this has been rolled out.

They should have changed the background to a big pic of Bill Gates.   ahahahahah
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #740 on: October 27, 2008, 09:51:25 PM »
http://tools.cairns.com.au/photo_gallery/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=3825&offset=1

Ok....I am supposed to go to Australia for a wedding next year.....I wonder if I can buy a suit of armour on Ebay...
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

George

• My view of China
« Reply #741 on: October 27, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »
Don't fret Eric. It was only a small bird!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #742 on: October 27, 2008, 11:33:19 PM »

George

• My view of China
« Reply #743 on: October 27, 2008, 11:42:34 PM »
OoooooooooooH yeah! Eric, these are the ones you need to watch for. They luvs Danish!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #744 on: October 28, 2008, 12:56:26 PM »
I hope they still send over the Grenaches, the Cab Savs and Merlots for the non-Chinese wine drinkers. agagagagag

Wine researchers make Chinese taste discovery

Australian researchers believe they have cracked the key to the lucrative Chinese wine market, with a study of Chinese tastes.

The Australian Wine Research Institute found that most preferred Australian red wines over other international wines, and enjoyed light fruity flavours.

The Chinese export market is worth $64 million each year in Australia and has jumped by 20 per cent over the past year.

Research manager Leigh Francis says the findings could be invaluable to the local wine industry.

"It means they can tailor the wines potentially for the way they grow the grapes and make the wines to make sure they do actually have wines with the taste profile that consumers in China are seeking," he said.

"Wine makers were flying blind to some extent, before there would be some feedback from consumers but very little information was available on Chinese consumers, especially detailed information like this about the tastes and flavours that Chinese consumers appreciate."

« Reply #745 on: October 28, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »
http://tools.cairns.com.au/photo_gallery/photo_gallery_popup.php?category_id=3825&offset=1

Ok....I am supposed to go to Australia for a wedding next year.....I wonder if I can buy a suit of armour on Ebay...

Ericthered,just wait until you see the huge cockroaches they have up in the same area. If you are not going up north,you needn't worry about that bird eating spider or the huge roaches.If you are around Sydney, you will have to watch out for the funnel web spiders. The red back spider in Lotus Eater's reply,is found in most places.It is of the same family as the black widow I think. Enjoy the wedding! uuuuuuuuuu Will the reception be outside in the garden? uuuuuuuuuu ahahahahah

« Reply #746 on: October 28, 2008, 06:54:34 PM »
Eh..the whats-it?? What spider??? AAAAARRRGGGHHHHH.....Need to buy a tank, hermetically sealed tank that I can fold into a suitcase....Funnel what-now? I don't want to know...lalalalaalalalalala....
"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde.

"It's all oojah cum spiffy". Bertie Wooster.
"The stars are God's daisy chain" Madeleine Bassett.

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #747 on: October 28, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »
Look, as long as you don't sit down, lie down, stand up, you'll be fine.  Australia is SAFE - really!!

Much safer than Korea right now:

North Korea threatens to turn South Korea into 'debris'

N Korea threatens south with anniliation | October 28, 2008

NORTH Korea today threatened to turn South Korea into "debris" unless Seoul stops what it described as a policy of confrontation.

"The puppet authorities had better bear in mind that the advanced preemptive strike of our own style will reduce everything ... to debris, not just setting them on fire,'' the North's military said in a statement.

"It will turn out to be a just war... to build an independent reunified state on it,'' it added.

The North warned that its army would take "a resolute practical action'' if the South continues its "confrontational racket,'' scattering anti-Pyongyang leaflets and conducting a smear campaign "with sheer fabrications.''

It said North Korea has a "more powerful and advanced preemptive strike of our own style as we have already stated before the world'' than that of South Korea.

"The advanced preemptive strike of our own style is based on a preemptive strike beyond imagination relying on striking means more powerful than a nuclear weapon.''

What big sabres are you rattling???

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #748 on: October 28, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
Good explanation for concert behaviour.

Rowan Callick | October 28, 2008

DIANA Krall, the Canadian pianist and singer, one of today's greatest jazz drawcards, was held up on her way into a Beijing theatre earlier this month by a scalper, determined to sell her a ticket.

He was so insistent, she told the audience later, that he wasn't deterred even when she told him it was her show.

The sold-out concert was Krall's first in China.

She was outraged by the price he was demanding, but perhaps failed to realise she could have bargained him down. Rule of thumb in Chinese negotiations: start at one-third or one-quarter of the first asking price, and pay no more than half.

Krall was generous about the response of the audience. But as well as appearing to have caught Beijing throat, which caused her to cough throughout, she was a victim of the China concert syndrome.

China is increasingly on the map for international artists, even though as a market it remains promising rather than lucrative.

The party-state imposes a tax on every activity it knows about. In the case of cultural events, this greatly complicates costings and imposes a hidden burden on genuine supporters of the arts.

A substantial percentage of all tickets available at every venue usually has to be given by the promoter -- free of charge -- to the local Communist Party organisation, to the Culture Ministry or its regional offshoot that must ultimately approve every performance, and to the state-owned enterprise orgovernment agency that invariably owns the concert hall.

The Poly Theatre in Beijing, for instance, was developed by the People's Liberation Army and retains close military connections via the Poly Group.

This helps explain the ubiquitous huangniu, or scalpers. Tickets find their way into the hands of cadres who have no interest in the occasion. But someone in their family knows someone who knows someone who may be able to ensure some money winds its way back up that chain.

It also helps explain the sections of empty seats, usually the most expensive, near the front of the house, even at concerts where every ticket ostensibly was sold. They were "taxed" to officials who had no interest in attending.

This was the reason for the extraordinary divide between sections of the audience at Krall's concert. The hollering and applauding fans were overwhelmingly in the cheaper seats. The behaviour of those in the $240 seats was intriguingly different.

Many were children, some of them clutching light-sticks that they did not switch on. It was clear that many in that section of the audience had little notion of the music they had come to hear.

Perhaps they had seen the promotional photos of Krall and imagined that a blonde Canadian of about 40 must sing sentimental ballads in the vein of Celine Dion, the goddess of Chinese music fans, whose 1997 theme song from the movie Titanic, My Heart Will Go On, has yet to hit an iceberg in the world's most populous country.

Many of those in the $240 seats began to chat among themselves and soon they began to walk out in the middle of songs.

The tickets had been passed down to them for nothing: they did not particularly value the opportunity to hear world-class jazz, a musical idiom with which they could make no connection.

This strange setting for live music emanates from the desire of the Chinese Government, via its Culture Ministry and other agencies, and of the party via its propaganda department, to host concerts by international artists to boost the country's image, while insisting on controlling the content of all performances.

Even the Rolling Stones had to submit a playlist before their 2006 concert in Shanghai was approved. And classical music concert programs are combed scrupulously to weed out works with any religious element, such as Mozart's Requiem.

The conservative Chinese party-state also tends to distrust any event that draws crowds. Hence its extraordinary efforts to restrict the audiences for the Olympic torch relay and its advice to Beijing's laobaixing, or ordinary people, to stay at home and watch the Games on television.

Beyond the official parameters, though, large numbers of fans can be found for almost every type of music. And they are determined not to be railroaded out of their serious musical pleasures, which find no place in the popular media: Chinese TV, for example, despite its 40 or so channels, plays only middle-of-the-road American pop or patriotic melodies. Thus, when music enthusiasts are provided a rare opportunity to hear an exemplar of the genre they enjoy, they make sure the performer knows just how delighted they are.

Romanian soprano Angela Gheorghiu, singing in the Divas in Beijing concert series during the Olympics -- an outstandingly successful event organised by Australians -- was called back for six encores.

When Emma Kirkby sang 16th and 17th-century songs accompanied by a lute in the Forbidden City concert hall, a large group of Beijingers in their 20s hollered in delight, and the English soprano came to the edge of the stage after the show and engaged them in a discussion about music.

Another, smaller section of serious music audiences comprises older people, whose attention is reverential, veering on the religious.

Their stories are, of course, varied, but they mostly share the experience of having survived terrible times, especially during the Cultural Revolution, when their seemingly harmless pleasure in Western music threatened to gravely imperil them and their families. Their joy today at being free to listen to what they want to, for the most part, is moving and stands in stark contrast with the cadres' families with the free tickets in the stalls, who prefer to spend the time sending and receiving text messages on their mobile phones.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24561193-25837,00.html

Lotus Eater

• buk-buk..b'kaaaawww!
« Reply #749 on: October 28, 2008, 07:37:13 PM »
This one I really like!  given that they have been arrested as spies, will the pigeons be tortured for information?  Will they be 'turned' to become double agents?  Will they be sentenced to death?  What will their last meal be?  Were they female pigeons - Mata Hari of the air??

Iran arrests 'spy pigeons' near uranium plant

October 21, 2008

TEHRAN: Security forces in Natanz have "arrested" two suspected "spy pigeons" near Iran's controversial uranium enrichment facility, the reformist Etemad Melli newspaper reports.
One of the pigeons was caught near a rose water production plant in the city of Kashan in Isfahan province, the report cited an unnamed informed source as saying, adding that some metal rings and invisible strings were attached to the bird.

“Early this month, a black pigeon was caught bearing a blue-coated metal ring, with invisible strings,” the source was quoted as saying of the second pigeon.

The source gave no further description of the pigeons, their current status nor what their fate will be.

Natanz is home to Iran's heavily-bunkered underground uranium enrichment plant, which is not far from Kashan.

The activity is the focus of Iran's five-year standoff with the West, which fears it aims to develop nuclear weapons. Tehran vehemently denies the charge.

Last year, Iran issued a formal protest over the use of espionage by the US to produce a key intelligence report on the country's controversial nuclear program.