So tell me about living in Beijing

• 27 replies

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
Re: So tell me about living in Beijing
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 03:18:04 AM »
I'll look forward to meeting both of you :) I've got to warn you...I can play a pretty nasty game of Settlers of Catan  ababababab
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:24:37 AM by El Macho »

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 12:42:30 AM »
I'll be in Beijing for Superbowl 2010. I was hoping some of the locals know a good place to watch it. I'll be staying at the Sanlitun Youth Hostel in Chaoyang District.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 09:24:24 AM »
Any recommendations on Beijing-specific forums? I know I could (and would) ask my questions here first, but I'm curious to look around at what people already in the city are talking about.

The Beijinger forums are a real trash-pit. Any alternatives?

decurso

• Chinese Rocks
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 12:45:22 PM »
Try We Live in Beijing http://weliveinbeijing.com/home/home3.rails?menu=. The forums really aren't much than The Beijinger, but it's a good social networking tool and some of the editorial content is far and above the drivel contrained in The Beijinger and City Weekend.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 10:03:16 PM »
I've been told by my FAO that I have to go to the big PSB office (near 东直门) to get my Residence Permit approved. Does anyone know the address of the place?

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 01:08:19 AM »
If it is the big PSB that does all visas and stuff then it is right by the Yong He Gong subway station on Line 2. You get off the subway at Yong He Gong and walk East a couple of blocks and you'll see it on your right -- it is hard to miss!

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 02:23:08 AM »
Cheers, just what I needed to know.

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 03:53:59 AM »
安定门街 i think.

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 04:39:07 AM »
雍和宫 subway station was exactly right. Out the exit, turn right, down the street for five minutes, and follow the tide of foreigners holding passports. Easy enough.

I'd recommend anyone who has to go either go early or be prepared for a long wait…we went in the afternoon and it took 2.5 hrs to get to the window! That's an awful long time to wait to be told that the FAO screwed up your paperwork. (Not that I'm bitter.) In the mornings there were no lines at all. So, go in the mornings.

Now the important question: can anyone recommend me a good DVD shop? All the places near where I live in Wangjing are geared towards foreigners and want an exorbitant ¥10/DVD5 or ¥15/DVD9. I refuse to pay that much on principle.

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 07:29:34 AM »
There used to be a good one next to silk street (Exit B on Yong An Li turn right and right again. Walk up the road a bit and cross over). If you get to the intersection you have gone too far). There was also one on SanLiTun Jie (near what used to be/is Pure Girl) and another adjacent to YaShow. Next to the coffee shop.

These may have all disappeard now. 

El Macho

• 东北人都是活雷锋
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
Cheers, I'll give 'em a look when I'm next in the area.

I live close to Lido Hotel, so everything around here is priced for foreigners on an expat package. When we went to Changchun for National Day we stocked up on ¥6 DVDs at Baolijin.

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2010, 07:09:52 AM »
I used to be able to get dvs for a bout a fiver in those places after a bit of haggling. Wangjing is expensive.

Tuco

• Let me go and I'll pardon you.
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 09:17:22 PM »
if you want a modern city with high prices, lots of bad traffic, horrible pollution, too many people with lots of perks: Girls, bars, foods, nightlife.

then beijing is for you.

if you don't like the above. I suggest you look elsewhere.

Everything in Beijing is over priced. I am looking to get out of here within one year.

but don't rely on my perception. I am just burnt out. Looking for more peaceful and clean environments.
When you have shoot, shoot, don't talk.