"That was China"

• 2 replies
"That was China"
« on: January 30, 2017, 05:08:11 PM »
A popular saying used to have it that welp, "this is China". Or, as the uncouth were want, TIFC. The saying embodied both lowered expectations of what was possible in China and the humorist's, even the absurdist's, appreciation for the weirdness that would come to pass when even any kind of expectation was applied. Cut off on the road? This is China. Run down on the sidewalk? This is China. Babies shitting in the street? China. Boss disappears overnight taking all the company's assets with him? Well, what did you expect?

I think it is no longer appropriate to have low expectations of China. The economy is huge now, but slowing. The people - probably, but I'm not sure - are tired of social change. Expectations actually are leveling out, but they're certainly higher than they used to be. So why should our expectations be low? China has probably hit middle income status by now, and that alone is enough to stop saying China and Chinese can't do any better than peasants. In fact, if expectations do genuinely level out, if "development fatigue" truly does set in, the China you see now is quite possibly the China you will see forever. The next leap forward could be a very long time coming.

But what I'm saying is not that China needs our help to become great. I'm saying China's already moved a fair distance along that path and isn't the last outpost of absurdism any more. We can expect more. And probably should be pushing for it too.
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
Re: "That was China"
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »
I never worried with lowered expectations, but enjoy the continued surreality of living here. bjbjbjbjbj
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

Re: "That was China"
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »
How Trump Can Win With China

... essentially by admitting China has been outmaneuvering the US (and everyone else) for years and really the only way forward is to enforce reciprocity. In effect, to insist that China and the US are equal partners, equally able to steal from one another, equally able to take reciprocal trade enforcement actions.

And the US should rejoin the TPP. (I don't get the anger at that one, why leaving it was such a good idea.)
when ur a roamin', do as the settled do o_0