Has your use of punctuation changed?

• 18 replies

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
Has your use of punctuation changed?
« on: January 07, 2014, 05:42:26 PM »

Tree

• This personal text is false.
Re: Has your use of punctuation changed?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 06:23:28 PM »
I can't say I fully understand this. I still view electronic communication, like face-to-face conversation, as an extension and presentation of the self: share finished thoughts, speak/write clearly, etc. I appreciate punctuation and spelling as thoughtful, rather than "k cya wanna get chicken nxt time"

However, there is always time and place for :candyraver:
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

Borkya

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 06:31:50 PM »
I can't say I fully understand this. I still view electronic communication, like face-to-face conversation, as an extension and presentation of the self: share finished thoughts, speak/write clearly, etc. I appreciate punctuation and spelling as thoughtful, rather than "k cya wanna get chicken nxt time"

However, there is always time and place for :candyraver:

Not me. When writing an email standard english is the proper form, but texting? Writing on message boards? I try to have good spelling, but my punctuation and proper uses of their/they're/there goes out the window. And I'm down with anything as long as I can understand it. I see texting as verbal english written down. I know many (on this board and in life) disagree, but whateves.  ahahahahah

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
I think that it should depend who you are talking to. In speaking to a mate I might use slang or expletives that I wouldn't use speaking to people I don't know. Same for texting (some of this might depend on the phone used too) but in a message board, I don't who will be reading.

Is there any age bias involved?

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:24:03 PM »
I find that if I write only a single sentence, I tend not to include the period be it texting, email or message boards. If there are reams of notes, then the period is always included between sentences. As for the final one, 50-50 .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  (that's 50 of them).
For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 05:13:35 AM »
Interesting article. Just a few random thoughts:
No doubt there is some age bias involved. Languages change over time, and the tides of change are almost invariably led by the young. (Hmm, mixed metaphor alert: How does one lead a tide?)No surprise here. Nor is it surprising that choice of formal or informal language is influenced by the medium of discourse, nor again by the presumed relationship of writer to reader (texter to textee? Twit to twit?).
One of us, (I believe it was Stil, but I could be wrong) remarked in another thread that foreign teachers often mistake weak English language skills for limited intelligence when dealing with Chinese learners. You would think that as teachers we would know better, but its an easy mistake to make. We draw those vital first impressions from the experience of communication, no less so with one another than with students. I was raised to value clarity and completion of thought in written language; if you want to convince me that you haven't put much thought into your words, then go ahead and butcher the language. There's still a chance that I'll get the message despite the delivery.
With all that said, I can't be the only one here who wishes his keyboard had some sort of breathalyzer/alcohol detection switch. The problem, at least for me, isn't so much alcohol as teh stresses and pressures of work, family, friends/acquaintances/hangers-on, the whole bloody world around me and the ticking of the clock. Yes, you can tell from my attention to grammar, word choice and punctuation when I am making the time to write coherently (or not, as is too frequently the case). I assume the same is more or less true for many of us. Isn't this why we expect a higher degree of formality in academic and business correspondence? Don't we want to convince ourselves that we are taking the time to think?

Escaped Lunatic

• Finding new ways to conquer the world
    • EscapedLunatic.com
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:13:54 PM »
I. don-t thin'k my, punct-ation changed: much!
I'm pro-cloning and we vote!               Why isn't this card colored green?
EscapedLunatic.com

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 11:51:32 PM »
For some kids, I like to stress some of the non-common words with punctuation. They all know possessive, and common contractions.

o'clock

Hallowe'en

jack-o'-lantern

naïve

For you to insult me, first I must value your opinion

George

• My view of China
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 02:49:36 AM »
I reckon there would be a huge age bias. I say this from a personal, aged, point of view. I rarely text, but when I do, I use punctuation. This is because I don't want people to think I am an ignorant teenager. ahahahahah And I always check my spelling!
The higher they fly, the fewer!    http://neilson.aminus3.com/

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 03:10:08 AM »
I usually check mine too, but I'm also a bit o fa dyslexci typits

Stil

• ChangshaNotes
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 04:37:58 AM »
I've been in China for over 10 years, so I didn't come with 'texting habits' from back home, and since many of my texts were in English but being received by Chinese coworkers or students, it seemed prudent to use good grammar, spelling, full words and proper punctuation, not only for their comprehension but also because I was an English teacher and I thought it would undercut my credibility if I didn't write that way. There didn't seem to be much reason to change when texting a foreigner.

Now with the full keyboards on smart phones and auto-correct it's even easier to write correctly traditionally.

Seeing a period as a sign of anger would only make sense to me if I knew it was purposely written that way, meaning I would've had prior experience with the texter and know that they didn't usually use a period. To assume this from a person whose texting habits I didn't know would be idiotic.

Tree

• This personal text is false.
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 06:31:39 AM »
It must be that the "period as anger" is an aspect of the zeitgeist that we saloonies are missing out on here in the Middle Kingdom.
The greatest and most important problems of life are all in a certain sense insoluble. They can never be solved, but only outgrown.
- Jung

randyjac

• 老骥伏枥
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 04:45:00 AM »
Many thanks to Still for discovering that article

Borkya

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 08:01:07 PM »

Now with the full keyboards on smart phones and auto-correct it's even easier to write correctly traditionally.

The damn autocorrect function makes me send perfectly spelled texts, but totally wonky words. I usually just type fast and don't notice when it autocorrects and therefore it'll turn like, a misspelled 'understand' into 'u stand,' and the result is a text that really confuses non-native speakers! haha